Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

What's going on?! Car won't start again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Seattleg37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's going on?! Car won't start again.

What's up everyone,

I know I only seem to post when I have a problem (I lurk often, promise!) but my [expletive deleted]-ing car failed me again today.

To recap:

I have a 2010 blue slate g37x coupe. The engine failed on me at 3200 miles about 1 1/2 months ago. The dealership (Infiniti of Kirkland) spent about two weeks trying to figure out what happened, to no avail. They noted metal shavings in the oil pan and speculated that a bearing might have been loose somewhere or other but ultimately could not conclusively determine what went wrong. The car would not turn over when started.... push the button, you'd just hear a "clunk" sound and then nothing.

My dealer opted to simple replace the entire engine under warranty. They threw in a full detail as well (only after my salesman called to tell me someone had dinged my door on the sales lot, grr...).

Anyway, I took delivery of the car with my confidence badly shaken in this particular car and the G line in general. Maybe I have read too many horror stories on these boards.

In any event, I have been driving for the last month problem free. I mentioned in my last post on my other thread that the idle seemed low but was reassured here that 5-600 rpm at idle was normal. It seemed lower to me than my previous engine, but whatever.

The point that I also noticed but don't remember if I mentioned here is that after I picked up my car, the engine started roughly. Instead of a brisk turnover and then the roar of the engine, mine was a bit sluggish. I didn't think much of it though, it was just slower than my old startup sound.

Until today, that is. I was at work and went to lunch. The car started really roughly. I was very concerned. After lunch I tried to start it.... the starter motor made a sound like a sick duck for three seconds then stopped. When I tried to start it again, no response at all. Just like last time. Electronics/radio all work fine. The odo reads 5036 miles.

So I had the car towed again. It's at the dealer on a sunday night. I'm pretty much beside myself here at this point.

I think I have a colorable argument that my car is a lemon and should be replaced. I am an attorney but I don't practice this area of law (I represent people who have too much fun in their G's on the roads!) so my questions for the board are:

1. Has anyone gone through the lemon process?
1a. Anyone in Washington State?

2. Would you let the dealer try to fix it again and accept that resolution? Again, this just happened a few hours ago and I haven't yet spoken with them.

3. Any other miscellaneous thoughts?

Right now, my preference is for a new car. I'm not satisfied that my car can be repaired to a like new condition, and even if it were to be fixed, I have pretty much no faith that the car will be reliable. I'm mad because I have a bunch of mods and my research of the WA lemon law seems to suggest that infiniti doesn't have to reimburse me for them (although it seems that's negotiable).

Ok I'm done venting for now. Enjoy your rides, everyone who can still drive them!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Seattleg37x

In case anyone wants to know, I don't have any mods that should affect engine performance.

Eibach, and invidia gemini catback are pretty much all I have. Although I just bought a stillen gen 3 and spc f + r camber kit that aren't installed yet.

My dealer told me that they were sure my exhaust had nothing to do with the last engine failure, as the catalytic converter was intact and not blocked.

Hmm...
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Jamler

If you bought it NEW from your dealer... Talk to them about a replacement.
Actually suggest to them you were thinking of writing Infiniti Corporate, to see
if there is something they can do for you in terms of a "REPLACEMENT". I'm
sure they have other 2010's with like options you can take. They have the
full history, you should request they print, or provide a digital copy to you of
the entire service history to send along with your letter. They may in fact
actually help you and/or take the lead as they should and 'Replace' your car.

Good Luck Either Way... I'd be pissed myself. In fact, mine died recently and
I took it to them, and they had to replace the Hot lead/connector to the Battery. But been flawless since.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
alyx

Sorry for your troubles.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen you on the roads yet.
I also bought a 2010 G37s coupe from Infiniti of Kirkland earlier this year.

Although my car hasn't had any trouble, the customer service at the dealership has been quite painful.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:14 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
General Lemon Law

good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in for verdict.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.
Maybe you can ask for dealership to buy it back from you and if they won't, maybe you can ask corporate for assistance.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
cocoyito

have you consider taking them to judge judy?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattleg37x
In case anyone wants to know, I don't have any mods that should affect engine performance.

Eibach, and invidia gemini catback are pretty much all I have. Although I just bought a stillen gen 3 and spc f + r camber kit that aren't installed yet.

My dealer told me that they were sure my exhaust had nothing to do with the last engine failure, as the catalytic converter was intact and not blocked.

Hmm...
Most dealers will stoop to low levels to get out of Magnuson–Moss related issues so this admission seems nice.

I think the factors in having a successful Lemon Law claim are laid out pretty well. I'm not sure if the courts require arbitration but the best thing would be to get your docs together and start a spreadsheet on how many days/hours your car has been in the shop.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Seattleg37x

Thanks for the replies.

I have a log of all the time spent out of commission. Washington law requires 30 days of the car being in the shop before a lemon law claim can be made (at least on the ground that the dealer had the car too long). Other grounds include a "nonconformity" that has been repaired 4 or more times or a "serious safety defect" that has been repaired 2 or more times, or a combination of multiple nonconformities and safety defects. The first time when my engine failed, I was rolling downhill on a busy highway. I think I have a basis to claim my car suffered a serious safety defect.

My dealer tells me the starter motor is kaput and needs replacing. How a brand new car can need a new starter motor is beyond me.

I wrote the general manager of my dealership and cc'd the VP of Total Customer Satisfaction of Nissan corporate. Basically I said that I would accept one final warranty repair, but if anything else went wrong I would be demanding a new vehicle.

I'll keep you all updated with the latest chapter of the tome entitled "Problems I Need Like Another Hole in My Head."