Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Will adding Paddle shifters to non-sport G37 void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:18 PM
photoalexd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: Installing Sport paddles

1. Steering position all the way out and up.

2. remove lower trim from the steering column (to snap out that lower trim piece I found it easiest to push back (towards engine) until you hear a click, then it can be pulled down (towards floor))

3. turn steering wheel to the left, and remove the screw on the right column trim this is the screw behind the steering wheel. This seems to be a little hard to do, but just pull a little, and it will pop right out. This might be the hardest part, but don't get scared. You wont mess anything up.

4. Turn steering wheel to the right and remove the left screw. then Remove the trim on the left. (If you have the electric telescoping wheel, then you would need to unplug the telescoping ****. fairly simple)

5. Plug the paddles in and put the new trim in place.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (11-14-2020)
Old 10-09-2010, 07:03 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just installed the paddle shifters on my 09 premium journey sedan.

Bought the kit from Riverside Infiniti - $260 shipped, three days to Dallas.

Using instructions on the G35 forum, I bought the T30 Torx, not realizing it's only needed to remove the airbag before removing the steering wheel - neither is needed, you don't need the T30 Torx. No need to disconnect battery, either.

The above instructions are accurate but basic. Read the instructions on the G35 forum as well, but ignore the parts about removing the air bag and steering wheel. The rest of the notes and tips are right on.

You don't need to replace the top plastic piece, but Riverside ships it anyway. Probably because they want you to have matching plastic in case yours is faded or they are slightly different colors for whatever reason.

Putting the actual paddles on is easy; just turn the wheel to give you access to put the nut on the bolt. Make them tight but don't overtighten.

Hint - with the ignition going off and on (to allow you to turn the steering wheel), the door chime will ring a LOT. Press the little rubber push-in button near where the door latches to silence it.

The bottom piece seemed to come off easier with the steering wheel in the upside down position. Someone suggested that and it helped me.

The new left side plastic part is the hardest to put in. Hint - attach the cable to the electronic steering wheel adjuster before you snap the mechanism into the plastic. I had a hard time getting it to line up with the other plastic, but I finally pushed them together and tightened the front screw and they seemed close enough.

Some say to install two more screws in the bottom two new mounting holes. Riverside didn't include them so I didn't put any in. Seems to hold just fine.

Once I had it all figured out (reading various forums and hints) the actual process took about 1/2 hour, taking it slow.

It worked right first time - love the way I can shift and it will return to drive mode without taking my hands off the wheel!

Enjoy! This is a great mod for a non-sport G.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM
dorramide7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Sorry for being lazy, but there was thread with photos on How to Install the Paddle Shifters?? For the member who posted it, can you respond: Where did you get them, the cost $$, and DIY photos. I have a 2010 G37X non-sport, Can it be done that simply??
Riverside Infiniti is selling them on eBay, but I would think you can get it from just about any dealership.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:53 PM
Redlinemac
Registered Member

I'm looking to add paddles to my non-sport 2010 G37 convertible. Do they improve the responsiveness of the shifts?

I know I'm not sharing anything new, but the shift lag in manual mode on these cars is horrible and so unnatural.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 12:14 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 838 Likes on 716 Posts
Geez, you dug up a nine-year old thread.

Paddle-shifters do not improve shift quality or speed.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Redlinemac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Geez, you dug up a nine-year old thread.

Paddle-shifters do not improve shift quality or speed.
Yikes... sounds like a bad ex or something. LOL!

I was hoping they would provide more responsive shifts but I'm going to let that go based on your replies. I can spend that money on other things.

I purchased the car for my wife who has now decided to go the sedan route. So, I'm trying to add a few add-ons to personalize and improve its performance a bit.

Thanks for your feedback...

(I wanted an S when we purchased it but she (and I) loved the color and deal. I also never intended to have it as a daily but that's the way it's sort of worked out.)