Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

blown rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 PM
steve
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was the drivers side axle they would not cover it under warranty surprise stillen and a couple of other guys are trying to get upgraded axles they are not the same as the g35 going to upgrade the diff As well
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steve
that gtr ran 12.1 the guy never been to the track before
GTR has launch control if I'm not mistaken. Any idiot with hands and feet can get out of the hole hard with LC.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 PM
steve
Registered Member

Originally Posted by terrycs
Looking at boosted Z's, it's usually the axle that goes. If it was your axle(s), there are heavy duty options.
Do you know where to get the upgraded axles having tough time finding them thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Tainui
Mind you, I've never taken this car to the track and don't intend to. There are much better platforms for that type of driving than these cars.
Thank you!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

this is why i only play with it on the street (mean legally) and not from a dig
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tainui
Mind you, I've never taken this car to the track and don't intend to. There are much better platforms for that type of driving than these cars.
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Thank you!
Have you ever been to the drag races? There is everything from Civics to Semi Trucks. The G37 might not be the "perfect" platform but there is no perfect platform. There's no reason to discourage anyone from drag racing on here. If anything you should be encouraging people to have fun with their cars and push the limits in a legal safe setting.

It was the drivers side axle they would not cover it under warranty surprise stillen and a couple of other guys are trying to get upgraded axles they are not the same as the g35 going to upgrade the diff As well
They told you the axle broke. Did you ask what that meant? There are a lot of parts to the axle shaft. Did the half-shaft snap in half? Did the cv-joint disintegrate? What is all included in an "upgraded axle"? You have to know what fails in order to beef it up. If it's the sub-assembly that failed, a thicker shaft isn't going to help.

Also, if the axle is hopping then you have to figure out a way to fix that. Beefed up axles might last longer but wheel hop will stress them just the same, it's just a matter of power and traction until they fail as well. Not many guys on here go to the track so it's hard to know if axle hop is a common problem. I'll have to check the 370Z forums as there are a few over there that drag race.

Look at all the parts on this axle shaft. I sure would like to know what broke. Make sure you get the broken part back when your done.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:21 AM
steve
Registered Member

thanks for that info when i put the lower srings in and the sway bars it took alot of the wheel hop out if the car then when i put the charger on it came back i think i was coming out of the hole at too high of a rpm i tried a lower rpm and it seemed to work better but the time did not come up at the track it was busy that night 300 cars the next run i broke .i will go to the dealer tommorrow and see what broke and update you tommorrow thanks again
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM
j784wrx

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Have you ever been to the drag races? There is everything from Civics to Semi Trucks. The G37 might not be the "perfect" platform but there is no perfect platform. There's no reason to discourage anyone from drag racing on here. If anything you should be encouraging people to have fun with their cars and push the limits in a legal safe setting.
i went to saturday night test n tune with my slow *** 16sec civic when i was a kid. i'm sure a lot of folks had a laugh at my expense at the qtr mi, but i had fun hanging out with my friends. something about staging at the tree, getting that launch right, heart racing and going down the track was exhilarating. at first i had no respect for people going racing down a straight line, but it was all thrown out the window after my first pass.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Tainui

I have been to the track on a nearly weekly basis growing up. Everything from Jet Cars to test and tune nights. I raced more than a few mustangs because it was fun, cheap and easy to fix.

The more people take these cars to the track, the more you'll hear tears of pain at the prices for replacement parts. Even a freekin O2 sensor on this car is $350. I'm just saying, for the price of broken parts from the track you could build a track car and have a lot of fun (maybe learn a thing or two) in the process.

If you think I'm off topic - Steve was trying to get his axle replaced under warranty because his supercharged motor snapped it at the track. Now tell me why "stealerships" are so hard on anyone who walks in the door with a legitimate claim.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I never thought you were off topic. I also never heard him complain that they wouldn't cover it under warranty. He simply stated they would not cover it, it didn't look like he was trying to fight it because he knew exactly why it broke.

You're right that these cars are expensive to fix if something breaks but let me point out that some guys on here are more than willing to spend $600 on intakes and over $1500 on just a cat back exhaust systems. I remember back when $600 would get me a full exhaust system including shorty headers for my 5.0. I don't think repair costs should deter folks from going to the track.

If more guys went to the track with these cars, there would probably be more of a following in the aftermarket. I'd love to see options for axle upgrades, and torque convetors, and gears.

Here's an off topic question for you: You mentioned jet cars. Did you ever see them chain an old junkyard car to the back of a jet car at night and blow it up? Maybe not blow it up, more torch the living **** out of it.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

One more thing. I've tried to launch hard in Her G, I had a little axle hop going on. I have it on video somewhere. This is probably a common problem.

Also, if I was a betting man, I would bet the part that broke was either the #4 or #10 parts in the picture above.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:57 AM
steve
Registered Member

i took the car to the dealer to get it fixed right they are a stillen rep i did not tthink it would be covered under warrenty when they told me that it was not a surprize we joked about it .Any way the cv joint closest to the diff is what broke .I bought this car as a toy to take to the track and have some fun with it .ITs nice to go the track and see 300 cars 200 of them mustangs and one g37.Then get on to the road coarse and leave a corrvette in the dust and not have to worry about a cop taking my car and liecence
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
steve
Registered Member

You want play you got pay
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Any way the cv joint closest to the diff is what broke.
Thanks for the update. Those are usually the weak link in an independent rear axle.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Tainui

Good call Ivoid.

I guess I misunderstood the warranty part earlier in the thread.

I've seen the wheel hop in our cars and none of the vendors have a cure. Steve will have to come out slow and run em down.

Quick Reply: blown rear end