Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Need help w/ my G37S! New exhaust, headers, intake and tune up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Persianity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/ my G37S! New exhaust, headers, intake and tune up!

Hey everybody, within the next month I want to do some upgrades on my G37S to make it kick some more *** on the road and to sound sexier. My set-up that I have so far is listed down below, please feel free to make comments / additions / replacements to what I have to help me get the best build I can with a decent budget:

Intake - Stillen Gen 3 long tube
Exhaust - Deciding between Greddy Ti-C, Invidia Q300 or a Magnaflow?
Headers - Not sure yet, thinking about going with the ones Stillen offers?
Tune - Not sure on which chip to buy or what kind of tune-up to get.

Does anybody know the whp / torque boosts from any of these three exhausts? With all my upgrades, I'm looking for parts that will give me the best increase in performance. Should I consider getting berk HFCs? What increase in whp and torque do they offer?

I appreciate any help or criticism.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:41 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You need to do more research for a better exhaust selection, you all need to look into test pipes which go between the header and catback. Personally, I wouldn't go with headers, but if you're after a 2whp gain @ 7000rpm then go for it

After all is set and done, you should be able to land 50whp on a good day, in the high end though
Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
UpRev tune!
Old 08-19-2010, 10:54 AM
DmfG37sTT

I agree with sam. but what I dont understand sam is how you think header will only gain you 2 horse power. I was able to gain a good 10-15 ponies under the hood.

As far as your options I would do a bit more research. Uprev offers a great tune.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
I agree with sam. but what I dont understand sam is how you think header will only gain you 2 horse power. I was able to gain a good 10-15 ponies under the hood.

As far as your options I would do a bit more research. Uprev offers a great tune.
You're really telling me you gained 15hp over factory headers with TPs and catback? As in:

Before: TP + Catback
After: Headers + TP + Catback
Delta = 15whp?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Headers: Fast Intentions longtubes

Exhaust: Fast Intentions

Intake: You're good to go

Tune: UpRev
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forget the headers like most people have said and go with high flow cats or test pipes, the difference in price and install will save you enough money for a HKS exhuast. I would look into getting sway bars though. Sway bars was my most noticeable mod other than the exhaust. Some argue that intakes don't do much in our cars, but most agree that the gen3's are the best out there for our cars. With a proper tune like uprev you're looking at a 30whp gain if that. Even if mod claim to give A horsepower and another mod claims to give B horsepower, the actual combined horsepower gained on your car is not A+B.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
advan37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Persianity

Hey everybody, within the next month I want to do some upgrades on my G37S to make it kick some more *** on the road and to sound sexier. My set-up that I have so far is listed down below, please feel free to make comments / additions / replacements to what I have to help me get the best build I can with a decent budget:

- hi

Intake - Stillen Gen 3 long tube

- good choice .

Exhaust - Deciding between Greddy Ti-C, Invidia Q300 or a Magnaflow?

- non of them are my test , check the ARK or Invidia Gemini.

Headers - Not sure yet, thinking about going with the ones Stillen offers?

- As G37Sam said , dont expect more from headers .

Tune - Not sure on which chip to buy or what kind of tune-up to get.

- UpRev or Cobb access.

Does anybody know the whp / torque boosts from any of these three exhausts? With all my upgrades, I'm looking for parts that will give me the best increase in performance. Should I consider getting berk HFCs? What increase in whp and torque do they offer?

- High flow cats are better than test pipe IMO.
- you should get 30-40 hp after good tuning

I appreciate any help or criticism.
OR get a stillen supercharger and u will be there.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by advan37
OR get a stillen supercharger and u will be there.
+1

Get an exhaust for now and save up for f.i. to make some real power.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

+2

If you're looking for power don't waste your money on lame bolt ons, get a nice catback and save up for FI
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 AM
g35sedan5at

+3, while i do think there is a ton of NA power to be had of this engine simple bolt-ons wont do the trick and only a very experience shop/tuner will be able to extract it at this point in time, our engines are just too young. save for FI imo as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Persianity

You guys are the bomb. Thank you all for your awesome input. I've decided to go with:

Intake -Stillen Gen3 CA

Exhaust -It's now between an ARK GRIP True Dual (check out this dyno btw and let me know what you think: YouTube - ARK PERFORMANCE G37 DYNO Stock Motor with ARK GRiP True Dual exhaust System DYNOJET)or a Fast Intentions (Intimidator or carbon fiber? Which sounds nicer? Is there a difference in power?) Not sure on which pipes / resonators to get either, please help with your suggestions/opinions.

Test Pipes - I'm hearing Fast Intentions Resonated test / cat pipes are a better option as far as performance? Is it recommended that I go with the resonated test or the resonated cat pipe? The thing is though, I need my car to pass smog and I'm not sure if using resonated test / cat pipes will allow me to do that. I definitely do not want any sort of rasp either, from the hundreds of clips I've listened to, I don't think that will be a problem, but then again, you guys know better.

Tune - Leaning towards UpRev

Let me know what you think with the update. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by Persianity
You guys are the bomb. Thank you all for your awesome input. I've decided to go with:

Intake -Stillen Gen3 CA

Exhaust -It's now between an ARK GRIP True Dual (check out this dyno btw and let me know what you think: YouTube - ARK PERFORMANCE G37 DYNO Stock Motor with ARK GRiP True Dual exhaust System DYNOJET)or a Fast Intentions (Intimidator or carbon fiber? Which sounds nicer? Is there a difference in power?) Not sure on which pipes / resonators to get either, please help with your suggestions/opinions.

Test Pipes - I'm hearing Fast Intentions Resonated test / cat pipes are a better option as far as performance? Is it recommended that I go with the resonated test or the resonated cat pipe? The thing is though, I need my car to pass smog and I'm not sure if using resonated test / cat pipes will allow me to do that. I definitely do not want any sort of rasp either, from the hundreds of clips I've listened to, I don't think that will be a problem, but then again, you guys know better.

Tune - Leaning towards UpRev

Let me know what you think with the update. Thanks again.
Seems like solid options. Anything that messes with the cats will have some rasp i think, i had high flow cats and i had some rasp. Also pretty sure if you put test pipes you will not pass emissions.

I had Injen intakes, Berk high flow cats, and a Fast intentions CF exhaust with an Up-rev tune. I put down 275whp untuned and ended up with 311whp tuned.

Basically if you do all the mods, but no tune your definitely not getting the full potential. Even with headers (which will make more rasp i think) will not be useful unless you get the tune done.

Goodluck!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do headers. The cost of install will be ridiculous, plus you would have to take it into somebody who knew what they were doing with a G. Also it will make your nice luxury G sound like a race car. And if you ever go TT then those headers will have to come off.

You need a cat to pass smog, resonated test pipe won't do it. Test pipes also smell bad.

Both the ARK and the FI systems seem great. As Tony from FI explained it to me, the CF and stainless round mufflers are the same, with the CF being slightly louder. The intimidator uses oval mufflers, it is their milder exhaust. I personal have an intimidator on order bc at this point I don't want to be in your face loud.

Obviously do not get the UpRev tune until after you are done with bolt ons. Its my understanding that the Gen3 intake has the most potential to mess up your A/F ratio, the hi flow cats not so much.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:11 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
how do stillen gen 3's mess up the a/f ratio?

Quick Reply: Help Need help w/ my G37S! New exhaust, headers, intake and tune up!