Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil cooler

I read in latest Road & Track that they suggesting installing oil cooler for VQ37 engine if your driving style is aggressive. Anybody got one installed what would you suggest and how much is it?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Breitling65
I read in latest Road & Track that they suggesting installing oil cooler for VQ37 engine if your driving style is aggressive. Anybody got one installed what would you suggest and how much is it?
So, I recently spent a day with my G Vert on the track & I couldnt agree more! An oil cooler would do wonderous things for our cars under the right circumstances.

That being said, please do your homework because the oil cooler debate is as old as the chicken and egg issue. Some are dead set against oil coolers because they do not allow the oil to reach ideal operating temperature and can therefore cause mare harm than good.

If driven aggressively on the street there is no NEED for an oil cooler - if you want to track your G then you absolutely NEED and oil cooler. Just my $0.02.
Flame suit on - bring it!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...installed.html
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
DmfG37sTT

The VQ37VHR is very prone to suffer from high engine oil temps during any sort of extended high speed driving such as motorsports events, and even non competition events such as track days and Autocrosses. The engine can also suffer from high oil temps even with short burst of full throttle use such as on an engine dyno, drag racing and even bumper to bumper traffic. So my two cents would be that it would be a good idea to throw a oil cooler on the car no matter what for better operating temps. no matter what kind of driving you are doing.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Weiboy718

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
DmfG37sTT

Originally Posted by bschurr
Flame suit on - bring it!
I think I just put out your fire.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
stillen or gtm oil cooler? any other options?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Presto
stillen or gtm oil cooler? any other options?
dpends on the size you are looking for and what your future mods are if you consider F/I down the road...but if you want to simply start. You can do the small one from either company. GTM did have an issue with the hoses to begin with but that is over with. You can also DIY oil cooler found on the370z.com
Old 08-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
The VQ37VHR is very prone to suffer from high engine oil temps during any sort of extended high speed driving such as motorsports events, and even non competition events such as track days and Autocrosses. The engine can also suffer from high oil temps even with short burst of full throttle use such as on an engine dyno, drag racing and even bumper to bumper traffic. So my two cents would be that it would be a good idea to throw a oil cooler on the car no matter what for better operating temps. no matter what kind of driving you are doing.
What would be symptoms of overheated oil, should some engine sensor detect it and flash? Will synthetic oil help in this case somehow? Would installing aftermarket oil cooler void warranties? In Road & Track they mentioned some Nissan part for it, why not use one made by Nissan?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
DmfG37sTT

Well first off the easiest way to tell if your car is running hot is by looking at the gauge infiniti gives you. You might also tell by knowing your car. if it feels slugish or not running how it normally does its probably not running at right temps. Now for your warrenty question I dont see why infiniti would void it for helping maintain propor oil temps. unless they figure the only reason you have it is to track race and what not.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Calgarywinger

Do you think this could cause excessive oil consumption? I drive fairly agressively and use Ester.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
DmfG37sTT

Oil consumption is cause by burning oil. where else would it go??? and if your driving very agrresive and see loose of oil I would for sure go with a oil cooler and see how that helps out. If not I would take it to the dealership asap
Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Breitling65

Well first off the easiest way to tell if your car is running hot is by looking at the gauge infiniti gives you. .

what exactly gauge it would be?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Breitling65

Oil consumption is cause by burning oil.
oil burning? are you sure not bad pistons rings?
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Weiboy718

what exactly gauge it would be?
there is no oil temperature gauge for our cars. only thing that's on your dash is you your water/coolant guage. you'll know for sure when your engine is way too hot cuz your ecu will throw you into limp mode.

i would recommend a 25 row oil cooler if you do some tracking. 19 row will be good enough to run it hard once in a while. idk if you're willing to fork out 700-800 for the Nissan oil cooler when you can get a cheaper kit that works the same for a lot less lol. installing a oil cooler will not void warranty unless your dealership are ******. good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Oil cooler