Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine seized on new x coupe- any ideas why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Seattleg37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine seized on new x coupe- any ideas why?

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker on these boards...

I've loved reading about members cars and I loved my own... but this week has really bummed me out.

I bought a 2010 x coupe back in June. It has 3k miles. Only mod that I've done to it besides tint and clearbra is adding an invidia gemini catback.

Well, the exhaust was put on saturday, and I drove it fine sat and sunday. monday morning I fire the car up, get out of my driveway about 100 yards to a stoplight and the car dies. I start it again and it dies about 50 yards later (and during that time I couldn't get it above 2500 rpm). Luckily I was on a downslope and coasted to a safe parking spot. After that when I tried to start it.... I just heard a loud clunk and nothing after... no turn over or anything.

So I had it towed to my dealer (infiniti of kirkland) and they tell me today that there is metal in the oil pan and they have no idea what caused the engine failure. The engine just seized up and has to be totally replaced. Apparently they are freaked out because they haven't seen anything like this with this model or engine.

My question for the very learned members of this board is- what could have caused the failure? Is there any chance the exhaust might have done something? I assume not, since its simply a bolt on mod (and sounds great btw) but the timing of the failure is just weird.

Beyond that, has anyone heard of something like this happening or is this the one in a million car that just had a bad engine?

Thanks for your comments!

oh, and as an aside, anyone with an x coupe getting the gemini catback should know that it doesn't fit perfectly... my installer had to weld a 1 or 2 inch portion of stainless steel tubing to get the midpipes around a part of the x undercarraige... he made it work, and it looks flawless. I had searched some threads and was under the (mistaken) impression that the gemini fit the x model perfectly... not the case.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I don't know what happened to your engine, but it most definitely had absolutely nothing to do with the catback exhaust. I'm really keen to know what the final diagnosis is though. Be sure to post what they tell you the culprit is.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Mike_10PL

I just talked to my friend like a week ago who is working as car mechanic for Infiniti and he told me that they received a letter from corporate that there is a defect in some bottom part of the engine (2008) and probably there will be a recall for it.. Don't know too much about cars so I'm not sure about what part was he talking about but he said that it's gonna cost Infiniti really a lot of money..
Old 08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Greggski

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pump failure maybe?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_10PL
I just talked to my friend like a week ago who is working as car mechanic for Infiniti and he told me that they received a letter from corporate that there is a defect in some bottom part of the engine (2008) and probably there will be a recall for it.. Don't know too much about cars so I'm not sure about what part was he talking about but he said that it's gonna cost Infiniti really a lot of money..
Wow, a recall? Any more info. on what issue the recall will address?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Seattleg37x

my service advisor told me that the engine is being shipped to japan for infiniti techs to take a look at it for determination of defects and to look into whether this affects other x models.

mike_10PL, my infiniti guy mentioned something very similar to that, but he was sort of vague.

at this point, he told me today, infiniti has told my dealer to stop breaking down my engine and just ship it off... apparently infiniti doesn't tell their dealers what the problem is that caused the failure either unless there is a recall... this means that I may never learn the cause of my engine failure. that sort of sucks because my confidence in the car took a bit of a hit and not knowing what caused the failure leaves me concerned that it could happen again. let's keep our fingers crossed.

thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
BlackG37Coupe

WOW........a lower engine problem is no joke, my guess would be the oil pump as well
Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hope that's not the case cuz i'm shiat out of luck on warranty!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
This is the very first I've ever heard of anything like that whatsoever. You'll get a spanking new engine. Since this is obviously as rare as a unicorn sighting right now, I think you're overreacting being concerned that it'll happen to you twice. It seems almost as rare an occurrence as winning the lottery. Twice in a row.

If anyone has solid info on the defect or potential recall please share the facts. It's odd to me that it's taken so long after these engines have been out there for this to happen.

Keep us all informed.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is interesting. I had a VVEL actuator motor failure at around 9,500 miles but I don't recall hearing about anybody with a seized motor or metal in the oil pan that was caused by a defect. Good luck with your new motor and please keep us posted if you hear anything.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongster
This is interesting. I had a VVEL actuator motor failure at around 9,500 miles but I don't recall hearing about anybody with a seized motor or metal in the oil pan that was caused by a defect. Good luck with your new motor and please keep us posted if you hear anything.
my friend had the same problem, his vvel failed on him too. i also had a minor issue with the gasket ripping apart.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it was the oil pump you would have received an oil pressure warning. Maybe the timing chain snapped or there was a bad connecting rod.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

I'm betting on a munched valve. Too bad you can't get an oil sample for analysis.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Clutchr6

curious to know how long until you get your car back?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
when mine was replaced, it took 3 weeks total.

my dealer did the complete breakdown & told me what casued the failure.

the fact it is being sent to infiniti is only going to slow down the process.

gl with the repair. My motor was originally on back order.

sounds like your dealer is giving you a story.

my car had 30k and is 3 years old, it was replaced no questions asked.

just had to put on the stock intake.

btw I also have hfc's & full catback fi, your exhaust is not an issue.

I would contact infiniti consumer affairs & press them for a timeline.

just be glad when it blew, you were not in heavy traffic playing bumper cars.

when mine went I had no steering or brakes.

Quick Reply: Engine seized on new x coupe- any ideas why?