Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Engine air filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
dmcconnell68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Engine air filters

Is an oiled air filter required on the G37? I took my car in for service this morning (not for the air filters) and the service writer asked if I had replaced them. I said yes and he asked what kind I had used. I told him that I replaced them with the Wix filters. He asked if they were oiled and I said I didn't remember. I know they were pink in color, but I really don't think they were oiled. He then tells me that I need to use the Infiniti filters because they ARE oiled and that if there is a problem with the MAF sensor, that Infiniti will not cover it if you have un-oiled aftermarket filters installed. Of course they have the car right now, so I haven't been able to look in the manual to see what it says. Anyone else heard this before?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The service writer is full of crap. The Wix unoiled filters are perfectly fine. I've been using them for 60K miles. The OEM filters aren't oiled either.

You should call and tell the service manager what he told you.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
The service writer is full of crap. The Wix unoiled filters are perfectly fine. I've been using them for 60K miles. The OEM filters aren't oiled either.

You should call and tell the service manager what he told you.
^^^Umm yeah...So, how much is this guy trying to sell you filters for? What a load dude and hopefully when you report this crap to the service manager he doesn't give you the same load of bs. Sounds like the mechanic in the movie Vacation.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM
DmfG37sTT

epic fail. I wish he would have said that to me.... Would have laughed in his face so hard tears would be comming down my face.

But for real you should report him to the service manager, and from then on only speak with the manager when you need service. Thats what I did and have never had a problem since.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that guy has no idea what he is talking about. Like BB said, if they won't warranty problems with cars using un-oiled filters, then no cars will be warrantied cause the OEM ones are just paper.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
dmcconnell68

Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking, just wanted some reassurance.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While the OEM filters are a disposable oiled media, they are not required and as noted the service manager is full of crap. Many japanese manufacturers use this type of filter (I know Subaru does as well) but this is just a filter. In fact oiled media can foul the MAF if there is excessive oil that can blow onto the sensor, so his logic is nonsense.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
call that guy out when you pick up your car.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag

that guy has no idea what he is talking about. Like BB said, if they won't warranty problems with cars using un-oiled filters, then no cars will be warrantied cause the OEM ones are just paper.
But they are oiled. Still, he's full of it.

BTW: We've heard this same exact thing here before about non-oiled filters supposedly damaging the MAF. Check out the posts by CGAR in the linked thread below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...-question.html
Old 08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
We've heard this same exact thing here before about non-oiled filters supposedly damaging the MAF. Check out the posts by CGAR in the linked thread below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...-question.html
CGAR works for a dealership, right?

It's not like the OEM filters are oiled like K&N. Very lightly oiled. Cheapest I can find them is $16.93 each.

Wix 49362 goes for $6.99 each at RockAuto.com.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by CougarRed
CGAR works for a dealership, right?

It's not like the OEM filters are oiled like K&N. Very lightly oiled. Cheapest I can find them is $16.93 each.

Wix 49362 goes for $6.99 each at RockAuto.com.
Oh I see. Yeah I think he works for a dealership -- perhaps the same one the OP went to.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I guess it's been so long since I had the expensive OEM air filters in that I didn't even remember them being oiled at all. I've been rocking the Wix replacements since my first change and no adverse affects yet. I should pick up some form Rock Auto because I think I pay about $10.50 + tax or so at the local auto parts store. I did pay $40 for the OEM A/C microfilter once because I didn't know where to get an aftermarket one at the time. Never again. I guess the damage from using the aftermarket parts comes after the 60K mile mark so that it's out of warranty.

I guess I'm in for a real problem with the aftermarket clutch I'm about to put in. To replace the OEM on that's already slipping. Oh the irony...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
DmfG37sTT

What kind of clutch setup are you looking at BB?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
What kind of clutch setup are you looking at BB?
Southbend Stage III/ OFE Southbend billet steel flywheel.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The whole oiled thing hurting MAF sensors comes from people who over-oil their reusable filters. Oiled filters will filter things out better than a dry filter.

@ BB: How much does that flywheel weigh? Do they offer any force diagrams for the PP? mu of the disk? I've never heard of them, but I'm interested in knowing more.

Quick Reply: G37 Engine air filters