Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Break-in Period

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:45 PM
DrErn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break-in Period

Just picked up my 2010 G37S 6MT Sedan Smokey Quartz. This breakin period is killing me!!! The manual says 1200 miles before opening it up fully. Holy crap! 1200 miles!! What have you guys done? outcomes? recommendations? Love the car! Really, just wow!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
DmfG37sTT

Just keep it under 5k rpm and you should be ok.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DrErn
Just picked up my 2010 G37S 6MT Sedan Smokey Quartz. This breakin period is killing me!!! The manual says 1200 miles before opening it up fully. Holy crap! 1200 miles!! What have you guys done? outcomes? recommendations? Love the car! Really, just wow!
I guess that depends on who you talk to...

This guy uses controlled hard accelerations to break in, says it's better for the engine, long term. Good reading, and I can't argue the logic.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Others (like my old uncle) say drive it like you plan to drive it from day one.

If you don't think a hard run for break in is good, consider the way Ferrari does it. I think car manufacturers don't recommend running engines hard for break-in because they don't want to be liable for wrecks in high acceleration situations where the new owner isn't familiar with the car...

Check out this video...

YouTube - F1 Engine Break In (ending is crazy!)
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 PM
DrErn

Makes sense to me as well.....I'm on it!!! Literally. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
From most of what I've read just don't keep the rpms locked in, so don't use cruise control until after 1k miles. Shouldn't be a big deal at all driving short bursts up to 6k rpm. Congrats on your new G, you 'll be high rev'n it soon enough
Old 08-01-2010, 02:42 AM
heyitsalex
Registered Member

Break-in periods are a myth. Applied back in the 70s but we have lint-free, vacuum sealed rooms to build engines. And they dyno tune and test the cars even before thry leave the factory so you're fine.

Remember, drive the car like you would always drive because the car will learn your driving habits and adapt accordingly. Therefore, if you drive like a granny, your car will respond like a granny is driving it. What a waist of a beautiful piece of machinery I say.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:46 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I tried not passing 5k for the first 1200 miles on my 6spd but it took some nerve! I did go over 6k a few times tho o_o, anyways post pics of your car, wanna see how that color looks
Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
DrErn

Getting it tinted this weekend, I'll post some pics then. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:26 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I guess that depends on who you talk to...

This guy uses controlled hard accelerations to break in, says it's better for the engine, long term. Good reading, and I can't argue the logic.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Others (like my old uncle) say drive it like you plan to drive it from day one.

If you don't think a hard run for break in is good, consider the way Ferrari does it. I think car manufacturers don't recommend running engines hard for break-in because they don't want to be liable for wrecks in high acceleration situations where the new owner isn't familiar with the car...

Check out this video...

YouTube - F1 Engine Break In (ending is crazy!)
I'm with Tinsley and his links on this one. I started breaking
in motorcycles/rebuilt engines this way over a decade ago
and have done it with my last 5 cars as well.

I figured that if something is going to fail, best to have
it fail the first day I own it, given most states have
a 3 day return law on new cars. I know that sounds
fatalist, but the facts for me are that I haven't
had one fail yet.

If you do this, I highly recommend that you do
it immediately with the lowest mileage on the
vehicle possible, and do at least one low mile
oil change .....say between 50 and 100 miles
and another around 500. I personally use
the cheap Mobil dino for the first two changes
as it will do a good job cleaning out the
assembly lube and factory grime in the
motor. Good luck in making your decision.
It does take some guts to do this, but
it works for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Gobbler Man

I say follow the manual. Think of it this way...they are not going to be putting something in the manual that will hurt the car...for liability purposes and all. Also, they will recommend the best for your car since they want you to be a happy buyer. Your best bet, is to follow the manual, not an article that was written for engines of a different type.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I tend to be in Gobbler's camp... with one or two differences. I am not a "car guy" by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been driving numerous cars and have been around a number of mechanics for over 40 years. There seemed to be one thing many of the older mechanics voiced (of course with the older American cars), drive the new car normally - break 'er in according to the manual - but change the oil and filter after the first 500-1000 miles. Do it again after the next 1000 miles and you should see a good long life to the engine, change the oil every 3000-4000 miles - good to go. Remember that advise was passed on with the non-synthetic oils used today. The new G uses a synthetic blend if I'm not mistaken. But I would follow the age old advise, IMO.. Hey is only $30 or so the first 2 changes...
Interestingly, my 07 G35X required easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles for obvious reasons (the brake pads), and follow the break in for 500 miles (if I recall correctly). my new 2010 G37X - with the VVL engine and 7 spd auto tranny - now indicates 1200 miles of non 4k RPMs. BTW, my 07 was much better car, much better "driveability"....the 7 spd tranny is just NOT the same. Too much gear hunting, slips to easily into that 5th gear at 35-45 mph - feels "untorquey" and hesitant to downshift, even in DS mode. That's not the same either, not even close to the 07.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrErn
Just picked up my 2010 G37S 6MT Sedan Smokey Quartz. recommendations?
The experts recommend getting the factory fill oil out ASAP, and changing the oil ~3 times in the first 4000 miles. Then get on Schedule 1 or 2 maintenance.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried to follow the manual as far as breaking in the engine and I was also easy on the brakes for the the same time frame.
It was a bit of a hassle, but it gave me an excuse to drive the car as often as possible so I would put the 1,200 miles on quickly.

I do a lot of highway driving so a lot of the break-in miles were put on at a constant rpm, which isn't the best method.

I don't think the car manufacturers have recommended
break-in procedures just to annoy new owners.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Almatti
I tend to be in Gobbler's camp... with one or two differences. I am not a "car guy" by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been driving numerous cars and have been around a number of mechanics for over 40 years. There seemed to be one thing many of the older mechanics voiced (of course with the older American cars), drive the new car normally - break 'er in according to the manual - but change the oil and filter after the first 500-1000 miles. Do it again after the next 1000 miles and you should see a good long life to the engine, change the oil every 3000-4000 miles - good to go. Remember that advise was passed on with the non-synthetic oils used today. The new G uses a synthetic blend if I'm not mistaken. But I would follow the age old advise, IMO.. Hey is only $30 or so the first 2 changes....
The reason older mechanics stick with that is because older cars had more maintenance requirements. Truth is, technology improved over the years making those kinds of procedures completely unnecessary. That's why you don't see it in the manual. In fact, the manual specifically tells you there's no need to change the oil in advance of the first regularly scheduled Oil change at 3750 or 7500.

I work with computers. Years ago DOS systems didn't allow spaces in filenames. I still was reluctant to use them for about 5 years after windows 95 came out. It's hard to adapt sometimes.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by CougarRed
The experts recommend getting the factory fill oil out ASAP, and changing the oil ~3 times in the first 4000 miles. Then get on Schedule 1 or 2 maintenance.
And some other experts say "bull****."

Quick Reply: Break-in Period