Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifting with 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
What do you mean, "holding" - do you mean holding it in a pulled-in condition?
Yes - pulling and holding the paddle shifter, or holding it "pulled-in."
Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Discovered interesting function with paddles this week ... After reading something in these forums suggesting multiple downshifts with the left paddle shifter, I decided to see what would happen if I just held down the left paddle shifter while cruising on the highway.

While holding the left paddle, the 7AT downshifted to 5th as it normally does in "D" mode (showing "5" in the gear selector readout), then after about 1-2 seconds while still holding the left paddle, the 7AT reverted back to "D" and subsequently taking a moment to shift back into 6th and 7th. Interesting because I thought that this function only worked when holding the RIGHT paddle for 2-3 seconds in D mode that would make the 7AT revert back to "D" - didn't think this worked with the left paddle. Nice little trick for quick uptick in speed under light throttle inputs.
I believe if you downshift with paddles in D they will revert to D mode automatically in a couple of seconds if you do nothing. So if your on D and want to downshift with paddles to pass just leave it alone and it will revert to D mode. Of course, in DS it will stay there.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM
328HP

Originally Posted by allagaroo
I believe if you downshift with paddles in D they will revert to D mode automatically in a couple of seconds if you do nothing. So if your on D and want to downshift with paddles to pass just leave it alone and it will revert to D mode. Of course, in DS it will stay there.
That is correct.

I was ok not using the PSters, it just so happened that at times when passing some stubborn drivers, I would wonder what the hell am I still doing here, this pass should have been over a minute ago. Then one day I used the Psters to downshift to 4.............

Nice
Old 08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
G hits the spot

When I use the paddles in D,it reverts back to the automatic mode (D) if I don't use the paddles for about 10 seconds. Is this a normal function of the D mode?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
G hits the spot

I guess you beat me to the punch,thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can also hold the upshift (of maybe either) paddle for 3+ seconds to go back to auto.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM
esanger

How is the install on the paddle shifters for those that have done it after the fact? Can it be done as a DIY or is the dealer required to get involved..
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 AM
InfinteG37

^Anyone have the thread for the install? I cannot find it...
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
KLB

DIY: Installing Sport paddles - G35Driver
Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 AM
washduce

I actually prefer console shifting to using the paddle shifters since this is the first AT I've ever owned. Are there any significant advantages that I'm missing out on not using the paddle shifters??
Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Have 2010 G37xS and use the paddle shifters in both D and DS (manual) A LOT ... everyday ... downshifting and upshifting ... This is the primary reason why I wanted the Sport package, and thoroughly enjoying myself and the car!

Compared to the 5AT in my previous 2008 G35xS, I find the 7AT is more responsive overall and more fun than the 5AT when using the paddle shifters. The 5AT seemed to get a little upset if I used the paddle shifters too much whereas the 7AT seems to welcome it. The 7AT also seems to shift more cleanly without disengaging the torque converter between shifts; something that drove me crazy with the 5AT. I would get these short 100-200 rpm decreases in engine speed with an upshift ... not the full upshift. The 7AT does not do this (EXCEPT when upshifting quickly with paddles from 5th to 6th ... without giving the 7AT enough time to engage the torque converter ... or so it seems).

But with only 3000 miles on my 2010, I am worried about the 7AT's ability to handle my aggressive use of the paddle shifters over time, and if it will start to behave like the 5AT with continued hard use. Curious about other 7AT owners who use the paddle shifters aggressively and if they've experienced any problems with more miles.

One thing I have noticed is that if I try to upshift a little early from 1-2 and 2-3 (below 3500 rpm) using the paddle shifters, the tranny seems to not respond - wondering if anyone else has noticed this - it just seems a little odd - and not sure if it's a safety feature ... if the tranny will only respond more aggressively in gears 1-2-3 when above 3500 rpm.

NOTE: All of my comments with respect to the torque converter are purely speculation and not based on anything I have ever read or heard. This is based on my observations ... just so that people don't start jumpin' all over me for it!

Thanks - I appreciate hearing from other "paddle shifters" like myself!

I find the paddles fantastic in terms of feel and positioning, but the transmission "manual mode" programming quite annoying. Firstly, if I hit a paddle, I want the car to switch to manual mode. Why else would I touch the paddle? Unless you move the shift lever to DS, the car simply returns to D after a few seconds unless you are aggressively accelerating or braking or shifting. Bad design.

Secondly, the programming prevents shifts from occurring if it thinks you are going to bog down the engine (your example of the "early" shifts from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3) or do anything else that may not fit with its desires. It's supposed to be a manual mode, for *&^$ sake! If I want the transmission deciding what to do (which it does quite well, by the way), I'll leave it in D and not touch the paddles. If I am using manual shifting it's precisely because the conditions are such that the normal operation of the tranny will give an inappropriate result and I want to override that. Get it, Nissan?? All the Japanese manufacturers program this way and they should take a lesson from the Europeans on this one. That includes the also incredibly annoying and arbitrary movement to 5th gear when you activate manual. Who the *$^@ decided I wanted 5th gear? I almost never do and don't appreciate having to go from whatever gear I am in to 5th and then over to wherever I wanted to go in two steps instead of the only one that should be required. In a European system, you stay in whatever gear you are already in and then can freely downshift or upshift at will as you need. No interference or second guessing. Most will also allow you to hold whatever gear you want at whatever speed you want because it is manual. If you are using this mode the assumption is you are not an idiot and have a reason for whatever you are doing.

The only exception to the above should be, as even the European cars have, an automatic reversion to first gear if you come to a stop in manual mode and forgot to downshift. Now the computer knows you are "asleep at the switch" and will shift for you so when you start off you are not in a high gear and bogging the engine andf yourself. Every other instance where it is trying to be "helpful" is more often counter-productive if someone is using the manual mode for true manual operation as opposed to playing with the paddles like a video game doing basically the same thing the tranny would have done by itself.

Rant over.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 PM
carz

Originally Posted by washduce
I actually prefer console shifting to using the paddle shifters since this is the first AT I've ever owned. Are there any significant advantages that I'm missing out on not using the paddle shifters??
technically the shifting speeds are the same. some people will argue the paddles are faster....but it doesnt really make a difference because both options are only sending a signal to the tranny.

ill use which ever my hands are closer to......if im resting my hand on the lever, ill use the lever
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 PM
hottoddyg37

Do the paddles rotate with the steering wheel or are they fixed to the steering column?

Also, does the left paddle only downshift, and the right paddle only upshift? I shift manually almost all of the time, and am wondering if the paddle shifters would add to my enjoyment of the car. The paddle shifters look like an inexpensive item to add to my car.

Hot Toddy 2009 G37 sedan journey (fosgate amp & subwofer)