Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Drove thru downpour, RPMs down, G died

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
TommyG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Drove thru downpour, RPMs down, G died

So I was driving home when I got caught in a CRAZY downpour on the interstate, I mean just like a wall of rain, and some puddles. When I got closer to home, my G started to shake, and wouldn't accelerate, the RPM's wouldn't go past 3000. It's like it was stuck in 2nd and wouldn't shift. Than it died at the intersection!!! I was able to start it back up and get to my garage. It starts fine, but is it possible the Injen CAI's sucked in some water or something?? I've had the Injens on for over a year now, drive thru rain all the time, NEVER had this problem!! There's no check engine light, nothing. WTF
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I hate driving my G and there's massive puddles on the road and I hit them =/ Makes me hold onto the steering wheel EXTRA tight
Old 07-21-2010, 11:02 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you got lucky..that happened to a friend of mine and when the engine shut off he tried to start it back up and it blew.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just one more reason the Stillen Gen3 is better than Ingen

J/k man, that sucks, I hope everything is ok!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 PM
1SiCkG
Banned

it happens sometimes as soon as the MAF sences that theres even a drop of water it shuts off to protect the motot
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 AM
TommyG37S

I would think the Stillen 3G would have similar issues in the rain since they sit right there in the open behind the grill? I noticed there is small openings in the plastic undertray right by where my Injen filters sit...stuck my fingers in there and indeed it was wet in there . So you all think my G will be allright once everything dries out?? Thanks for the responses!!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stillen supposedly has plastic guards in front of the intakes to keep water out. Makes me not want to get a CAI for sure now!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I hate CAI's...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 AM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Can't go wrong with a nice short ram. Sorry to hear about your problem and hopefully it didn't cause damage internally
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM
csnpsu

You need to be very careful when you get water in your engine. What happens is that water gets in the piston and then when you go to start it the piston starts to move up and the water will not compress like air and that will blow your motor.
If this happens to someone the best thing you can do is NOT try and start your motor. What you should do is take all the sparks plugs out, turn the motor over, let the water shoot out where the plugs where, they put the plugs back in, and then start your car. Then you should be fine.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyG37S
I would think the Stillen 3G would have similar issues in the rain since they sit right there in the open behind the grill? I noticed there is small openings in the plastic undertray right by where my Injen filters sit...stuck my fingers in there and indeed it was wet in there . So you all think my G will be allright once everything dries out?? Thanks for the responses!!
Originally Posted by droogie
The stillen supposedly has plastic guards in front of the intakes to keep water out. Makes me not want to get a CAI for sure now!
Yeah it's not a problem with the Stillen. I've had 18 wheelers throw waves of water onto my car so bad that I couldn't see out the windshield for several seconds and no problems from the CAI.

OP, I would invest in the Hydro-shields for the Injen CAI. It is the same concept as the water guard that is included with the Stillen CAI.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM
DmfG37sTT

Sorry to hear that tommy. I hope everything is ok. We have to have a meet soon in saint chuck!!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds scary. I have Injen CAI too, even ran it with vented CF TS hood during the rainy season. Not saying water won't get in, because it's very possible. Keep us updated.

+1 on the hydro shield. I'm getting it once it starts to rain again.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
This happened once to my Altima when I was in a pretty bad rainstorm with the AEM CAI. I was almost home when the car started acting all weird, wouldn't rev above 2500, felt like a limiter - the engine just cut out. I ended up short shifting the car to keep it under 2500 and made it home. Checked the filter and it was soaking wet. I took the intake apart and noticed water droplets in the tube and the MAF sensor appeared to be wet. I cleaned the MAF with special MAF cleaner and let it dry out. Car was fine after that.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:46 PM
deepFlip

where i live we get so much rain its ridiculous, if it rains for 20min straight we get major floods. i have injen cai(with hydro shields) and it scares me every time it rains. im thinking of getting rid of it and putting back the stock intakes, i dont want my car to get hydro-locked.

if i were you i would switch back to oem just incase you have to report to your insurance, if the insurance people see cai im sure they wont cover anything. sorry to hear this i hope everything goes well for you.