Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:01 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. stage 2 comes with gt28.86ar. you could do a swap if you really wanted to.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmac324
hahaha i didnt even think about taking any, i can next time i see him. but he also has a custom crate engine and all sorts of **** so that the single turbo can work.
ORLY?

What kind of crate engine was it? Pretty sure he told you if you were talking to him for hours....
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I think you've already demonstrated your lack of knowledge in the area. 700 for a single used turbo is not a good deal. You can get a brand new assembled turbo for around 1k. And you never know the history of an used turbo. It could have a blown seal or play around the turbine. Choosing the size of the turbo is dependent on many factors: exhaust output of car, A/R ratios, HP goals, boost response, etc, etc. And the turbo itself is a very small component of the system. Turbo, intercooler, BOV, Wastegate, injectors are things that are readily available. But how are you going to run your pipings? There is very little room inside the G37 engine bay and it takes GTM's engineers months to get everything right.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Dmac324

Originally Posted by Gamedog
ORLY?

What kind of crate engine was it? Pretty sure he told you if you were talking to him for hours....
i actually have no idea, he mentioned something about a guy in houston building it. i was more interested in talking numbers he was making and what not, i can contact him and find out for you though.

Originally Posted by Modme
I think you've already demonstrated your lack of knowledge in the area. 700 for a single used turbo is not a good deal. You can get a brand new assembled turbo for around 1k. And you never know the history of an used turbo. It could have a blown seal or play around the turbine. Choosing the size of the turbo is dependent on many factors: exhaust output of car, A/R ratios, HP goals, boost response, etc, etc. And the turbo itself is a very small component of the system. Turbo, intercooler, BOV, Wastegate, injectors are things that are readily available. But how are you going to run your pipings? There is very little room inside the G37 engine bay and it takes GTM's engineers months to get everything right.
1k is more expensive than $700 is it not? and its only got 400 miles on it so it is basically brand new, im almost positive the turbo is in tip top shape. but hey you can make yourself look like a douche talking to a kid thats just playing around with ideas and asking questions so i can figure out what i would like to do modding my first car. and let me guess, youre going to bag on me for saying that, call me a noob or something, but thats cool, i am a noob and there's nothing i can do but try to learn quickly.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
DmfG37sTT

Like I stated before. Calling sam@GTM will give you a much better idea on where to take this build and the best way to do it. There are alot of stories out there but I have yet to hear someone throwing a crate engine in a g37.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Dmac324

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Like I stated before. Calling sam@GTM will give you a much better idea on where to take this build and the best way to do it. There are alot of stories out there but I have yet to hear someone throwing a crate engine in a g37.
ill contact him within the next week
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM
DmfG37sTT

I swear every time I get off the phone with him I feel much more knowledgable about my car. and he never sleeps so you can get ahold of him whatever time you like
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
OK, the best possible thing you can do at this point is to just stop posting. Use just search feature. Take plenty of time to read the tons of information about forced induction on this forum and others. And on the Internet in general. Call people who do this professionally every single day as I recommended at the beginning of your thread. There's tons of great shops who can educate you around the DFW area and the country. Make some calls or visits and speak to shop managers and tuners who know what they're doing. Get a clue of what you want to do, what it will take to do it, and what the costs are. Then you won't sound clueless and people who know things can give you advice to help you achieve your goals.

If you choose to listen and heed advice from people who know a lot more about it than you do.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Dmac324

for some reason i dont think people are taking a very big liking to me. maybe dmfG37sTT is, and thats a maybe
Old 07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
DmfG37sTT

This is nothing compaired to the guy over at my350z hahaha. I understand your excitement. Being young with a 40k car can be a little much. Just take BB advise and sit back and do some reading. There are TONS of post around this forums about F/I. Im sure you will find one that turns the light on in your head. I wish you the best of luck with you and your build and im very curious to see what you come out with.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Dmac324

This is nothing compaired to the guy over at my350z hahaha. I understand your excitement. Being young with a 40k car can be a little much. Just take BB advise and sit back and do some reading. There are TONS of post around this forums about F/I. Im sure you will find one that turns the light on in your head. I wish you the best of luck with you and your build and im very curious to see what you come out with.
i had done a decent amount of reading and i was looking for more of a hands on approach so i could somewhat get a feel for it, next time i guess i wont
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Your buddy is not making 1000+hp with a VQ37VHR. I can tell you that much.

Either he's telling you a bunch of crap, or his "custom crate engine" is a 2J/RB running a single.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
DmfG37sTT

Originally Posted by Mike
Your buddy is not making 1000+hp with a VQ37VHR. I can tell you that much.

Either he's telling you a bunch of crap, or his "custom crate engine" is a 2J/RB running a single.
Do you know if the 2jz motor out of the supra would fit into our engine bay without any modifications?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you know if the 2jz motor out of the supra would fit into our engine bay without any modifications?
Nope. It's too long; I think you'd need to take out the impact beam in the front as a minimum....

The VQ barely fits in there as it is...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:06 PM
DmfG37sTT

I think that would be a cool project if it could be done.

Quick Reply: Engine Internals