Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmac324
for wanting a custom kit? i sure hope not
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Dmac324

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
y'all can hate on me all you want, ill make a deal with you, if i dont have a custom one turbo setup in 1-2 years (yah now im gonna get bagged on for sucha large time span right?), you can say what you want about me and my ideas and i wont defend myself at all, just sit there and take it.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
They're not hating man.. they're just surprised how a turbo kit that costs around $8k is being sold to you for $700, man that's cheaper than exhaust mufflers if you havent noticed.

You sure it's legit? Can you get us more info on it?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Dmac324

Originally Posted by G37Sam
They're not hating man.. they're just surprised how a turbo kit that costs around $8k is being sold to you for $700, man that's cheaper than exhaust mufflers if you havent noticed.

You sure it's legit? Can you get us more info on it?
hmmm haha alright. and im going to be out of down during the next meet, so monday after next i will have more information, ill ask what kind and everything. but remember, this is JUST the turbo, its going to be a custom kit.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Oh it's just the Turbo? A single one??

Oh you're in for some adventures my man lol
Old 07-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Dmac324

Oh it's just the Turbo? A single one??

Oh you're in for some adventures my man lol
hahaha believe me, i know, i talked with the guy for hours. but, i recently came into some cash to fund new internals and an exhaust, those will be done sometime in the winter.

to make it a full "kit" what all is needed such as a manifold and intercooler. fuel injectors? or what? (i know the list is pretty long)

all in all, this is going to be done hopefully in 1-2years and i should be running 12 lbs of boost. its a little project i've decided i want to take on and it should be super fun, minus the headaches ill run into
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Trying to route two exhaust headers to one turbo is going to require a lot of piping (if possible) it was done on the VQ35 by APS and it wasn't the best option out there. Their pipes had to run around the transmission basically and it was a disaster. It was also quite laggy (both in terms of throttle response and spooling) as the turbo was quite far from the exhaust charge. Trust me, a custom job is not something you want to go into as companies out there spent lots of thousands of dollars on R&D to make their kits happen.

This isn't a plug and play mod, you need to read a lot about it and about that "long list", the headache is not worth the outcome if you ask me
Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Dmac324

Trying to route two exhaust headers to one turbo is going to require a lot of piping (if possible) it was done on the VQ35 by APS and it wasn't the best option out there. Their pipes had to run around the transmission basically and it was a disaster. It was also quite laggy (both in terms of throttle response and spooling) as the turbo was quite far from the exhaust charge. Trust me, a custom job is not something you want to go into as companies out there spent lots of thousands of dollars on R&D to make their kits happen.

This isn't a plug and play mod, you need to read a lot about it and about that "long list", the headache is not worth the outcome if you ask me
Ill talk to the guy the monday after next and ill see what the place he has all his work done would cost me, if i decide it isnt worth it, ill end up just doing gtm TT or something like that
Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
DmfG37sTT

y'all can hate on me all you want, ill make a deal with you, if i dont have a custom one turbo setup in 1-2 years (yah now im gonna get bagged on for sucha large time span right?), you can say what you want about me and my ideas and i wont defend myself at all, just sit there and take it.
You have to understand that what your talking about is not just a simply project that you can throw a couple of pipes together to make it work. Theres a reason there is no single turbo kits for our cars. Im a big fan of the single turbo systems, dont get me wrong but what your looking at doing is something I dont think can be reached. Dont get my wrong. The day I see that thread i will be the first one to tell you i was wrong.

And it brings up a huge red flag when you are getting someone's old kit for 700 bucks. Cutting corners and overlooking the big picture is not the way to go. It will cost you ALOT of headache doing that.

Your best bet is to call sam@GTM and talk to him about what your plan is.
Whats your power goal? is this a daily driver? reliability? it all comes into play when deciding to jump into F/I. I wish I would have done alot more research before pulling the trigger
Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Curious, what car does your friend have this single turbo on?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Dmac324

also, if i just did gtm stage 1 kit (good for 500hp) would i be able to run it on stock internals?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Dmac324

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
You have to understand that what your talking about is not just a simply project that you can throw a couple of pipes together to make it work. Theres a reason there is no single turbo kits for our cars. Im a big fan of the single turbo systems, dont get me wrong but what your looking at doing is something I dont think can be reached.

And it brings up a huge red flag when you are getting someone's old kit for 700 bucks. Cutting corners and overlooking the big picture is not the way to go. It will cost you ALOT of headache doing that.

Your best bet is to call sam@GTM and talk to him about what your plan is.
Whats your power goal? is this a daily driver? reliability? it all comes into play when deciding to jump into F/I. I wish I would have done alot more research before pulling the trigger
it isnt a kit, just the turbo

Curious, what car does your friend have this single turbo on?
g37
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
DmfG37sTT

Post pics!!!!!!! Or ban!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
DmfG37sTT

also, if i just did gtm stage 1 kit (good for 500hp) would i be able to run it on stock internals?
Im running stage 2 on stock internals
Old 07-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Dmac324

Post pics!!!!!!! Or ban!!!!!!!
hahaha i didnt even think about taking any, i can next time i see him. but he also has a custom crate engine and all sorts of **** so that the single turbo can work.

Im running stage 2 on stock internals
so thats a yes then, once at stage 1 if i wasnt happy i could just upgrade the turbos, could i not?

Quick Reply: Engine Internals