Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Dmac324

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
In that case, you're better off with a stage 1 kit and stock internals (400-500whp)

Will cost way more than 15k to hit the 700whp mark safely
thats fine, as i said 600-700 eventually. but like i mentioned above, what are your thoughts on a CAI, exhaust, and a good nitrous set up (100 shot or so) all with a good tune to wrap it up?

Originally Posted by dainjarouz
i wonder how many paper routes....nevermind LOL
hahah i actually got a good chuckle out of that one
Old 07-19-2010, 01:59 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmac324
thats fine, as i said 600-700 eventually. but like i mentioned above, what are your thoughts on a CAI, exhaust, and a good nitrous set up (100 shot or so) all with a good tune to wrap it up?
I'm not a big fan of nitrous setups to be honest, but that's my personal opinion
Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 AM
Dmac324

I'm not a big fan of nitrous setups to be honest, but that's my personal opinion
just curious, but why is that? and for some reason i am in love with your signature.. no homo
Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
For that much horsepower, you are going to have to sweet talk daddy a lot.

I'm just going to brainstorm here.
At least $6000 for a base supercharger system.
Probably $2000+ in supercharger upgrades.
$3000+ for parts for a built shortblock.
Probably $1500-$2000 for labor assembling the bottom end.
Another $1500 easy for a custom exhaust that can flow that much air.
Somebody has to tune that new combo and that will cost anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on who and how long and if there are any issues.
I can think of another grand or two I would spend just in the sensors and gauges I'd need to monitor the system.

So, let's say you spent 15 grand and have 600-700hp... Little side note for you, there are a couple G37's/370Z's that have spent over $25K and still haven't made it to the 600hp mark. Anyway, let's say you do end up with 600-700hp, now what? You need a new clutch or a lot of transmission work to handle that power. If you have an auto, GTM makes a stage 3 tranny good for 600hp and it will only cost you $4600. That is, if you have that type of transmission. If not, back to the drawing board. What about the differential? The stock lsd is crap from the factory and the cheapest decent alternative is a grand (the good ones cost a lot more than that). How about those half-shafts? I know someone makes those custom because I've asked about them before. I was also told if you have to ask for the price you can't afford them. I hope I'm wrong there.

But then there is the good chance I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm wrong all the time. I'd love for someone to hit 600+hp (driveable and reliable) for a third the cost I think it will take, say... 10 grand. I'd drop that dime in a heartbeat.
Lets not forget the oh-**** fund and of course all the supporting mods

With that much power, I'd say a 40k budget isn't unrealistic.

Remember the 1100hp G35? Lets just note that he also owns multiple other cars, and his daily is a M5. Gotta pay to play

My personal opinion is that until VVEL is addressed, the VQ37 is a money pit if you're going for big power. Better to start with a better platform, or even *gasp* swap in a Chevy small block.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Lets not forget the oh-**** fund and of course all the supporting mods

With that much power, I'd say a 40k budget isn't unrealistic.

Exactly! I was thinking 30k at the least, on a good day, with me doing most of the work. I didn't add any labor in my first post other than the short block.

Listen kid (not being disrespectful, I call everyone at work "kid" even guys 20 years my senior), if you're 16 years old and drive around in a $40k car... I'm going to play the daddy card. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I wish my dad would have done that, but instead he made me get a job when I was 15, and then I had two jobs at 16-18 just to pay for my $6000 Mustang. The nice thing was he let me drive his turbochargered 500hp Mustang GT just about whenever I wanted. I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

If you want to entertain the idea of nitrous, you have to know that the intake plenium is going to work against you. The raised passages, the deep wells, the dual inlets, the valleys... the whole thing works against you. I love N2O and I think I've come up with a pretty trick way to make it work but I'm holding on to that for a rainy day.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
600-700 hp is gonna be a expensive one.

My total cost for my current setup is well over 10k already and I'm only making 400whp lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Dmac324

Exactly! I was thinking 30k at the least, on a good day, with me doing most of the work. I didn't add any labor in my first post other than the short block.

Listen kid (not being disrespectful, I call everyone at work "kid" even guys 20 years my senior), if you're 16 years old and drive around in a $40k car... I'm going to play the daddy card. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I wish my dad would have done that, but instead he made me get a job when I was 15, and then I had two jobs at 16-18 just to pay for my $6000 Mustang. The nice thing was he let me drive his turbochargered 500hp Mustang GT just about whenever I wanted. I don't know what the hell he was thinking.

If you want to entertain the idea of nitrous, you have to know that the intake plenium is going to work against you. The raised passages, the deep wells, the dual inlets, the valleys... the whole thing works against you. I love N2O and I think I've come up with a pretty trick way to make it work but I'm holding on to that for a rainy day.
Fair enough, but i didnt get it brand new either. But, from doing some digging and reading, it seems like there are a few people who have gotten it to work.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Fair enough, but i didnt get it brand new either. But, from doing some digging and reading, it seems like there are a few people who have gotten it to work.

Gotten what to work? The nitrous or the 600-700hp? Nitrous can be installed and work. But doing it right and reliable is another thing. A wet system running through the stock plenium is very susceptible to a thing called "puddling" (google it, you can read for hours about it if you want to). Even a 75-100 shot is risky with this plenium design.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Dmac324

Gotten what to work? The nitrous or the 600-700hp? Nitrous can be installed and work. But doing it right and reliable is another thing. A wet system running through the stock plenium is very susceptible to a thing called "puddling" (google it, you can read for hours about it if you want to). Even a 75-100 shot is risky with this plenium design.
haha i was talking about the nitrous working, and yes i know what puddling is. does getting a CAI (like the stillen gen 3) replace the stock plenium? (could be a noob question, but thats what i am so be it)
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
haha i was talking about the nitrous working, and yes i know what puddling is. does getting a CAI (like the stillen gen 3) replace the stock plenium? (could be a noob question, but thats what i am so be it)
Lol. It was a noob question, but it's ok cause I see you just joined.

Anyway, to answer you, stillen gen3 does not change the stock plenum at all. Only adds cai piping and routes the filter to the front grille of the car. As far as I know at the moment there are no aftermarket plenums( they're in the works, though I could be wrong).

I've been reading through this thread and see you are interested in making a lot of power. I say good luck and hope you are able to make it into a beast.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Dmac324

Originally Posted by Kverdina
Lol. It was a noob question, but it's ok cause I see you just joined.

Anyway, to answer you, stillen gen3 does not change the stock plenum at all. Only adds cai piping and routes the filter to the front grille of the car. As far as I know at the moment there are no aftermarket plenums( they're in the works, though I could be wrong).

I've been reading through this thread and see you are interested in making a lot of power. I say good luck and hope you are able to make it into a beast.
Thanks for the support, and after a night full of thinking, all i need is decent bursts of power when i want them to make me happy

mods in order are going to be CAI, exhaust, then nitrous at some point
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Well you need to keep in mind, Nitrous shots will make you happy for a few seconds but then you're back to stock
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
DmfG37sTT

That setup wont get you near enough power your seeking for. I would do alot more research before doing anything. Im with g37sam, Its not my thing and I dont feel its a safe way to make power.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Dmac324

Well you need to keep in mind, Nitrous shots will make you happy for a few seconds but then you're back to stock
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
That setup wont get you near enough power your seeking for. I would do alot more research before doing anything. Im with g37sam, Its not my thing and I dont feel its a safe way to make power.
Yes it isnt what i originally stated, but after thinking a bit, all i want to do is get rid of those pesky mustangs and cars like that, nitrous would do the trick.

why do you think it isnt safe?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Agreed.. Don't do nitrous. Ruins your intervals and if you planning on boosting the car later, I'd be scared something would give because nitrous was used at one point in time. Just take your time, do basic built on and tune. Or just save the money and got FI later.

Quick Reply: Engine Internals