Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I'm still so pissed off about the performance of this new 2010 G37X. Brought it to My dealer & favorite Service Advisor (Pepe Infiniti, White Plains, NY) to log formal complaint about the tranny last week. He told me: "It Is What It Is, No Reflashed, No ECU updates, etc...." Driving it in DS mode is slightly better, but even in that mode it DOES NOT match how my 07 G35X performed. I find now that if driving at any speed, step on the brakes hard, then hit the throttle, there is a lag - like a Turbo Lag before she revs down into lower gear and takes off. Now have about 900 miles on it, 5 weeks old, And I've read many contributing members commenst about letting Break In, It will Learn the way you Drive, Drive it Harder, etc, etc... This is a problem that i'd like to know other members see and feel...I gues if I didn't have the pleasure of the 07 G, maybe I'd be happier.....Ignorance is Bliss

I am going to schedule Appt with the Service Manager, drive the car with him, and try to show how the quirky, jerky feeling to the tranny is felt at 30 to 50 mph on local roads, and that terrible Lag when steeping on the throttle after braking. Maybe something's wrong with my tranny. I don't recall feeling this in my test drive which was too brief.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
exit9

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine still lags and gets jerky occasionally. I drove with a tech for a rattling issue and mentioned the tranny. He stated that below certain speeds there's no "learning". It's pretty much hardcoded to behave that way and without a TSB from corporate you'll just have to bear with it. I noticed that after hitting 4500 miles, the 2nd-1st gear downshift doesn't bump as often as it did. Usually, 3rd-2nd will jump and hang the revs for a few secs then release (feels like it shifts to neutral) into 1st. The bump/clunk usually happens then. The wave effect when braking is not as intrusive as before. It's at the level of being tolerable but could be way better. I can still see the rev matching in stop and go traffic but vehicle is not as sensitive as it was prior to hitting 4500.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:08 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey bud,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations -- I too felt the same way -- have an '08 G35x that performs perfectly from a tranny standpoint (5AT, the wifey's car) and was expecting the G37 to be as tight and refined...

No such luck on my '09G37x .. however it has broken in after 18k miles .. and you'll experience improvement in the driving experience by 3-5k. It definitely will always have it's querks, I have not driven the Lexus 8sp, or any of the Mercedes 7sp trannies.. but this Infiniti tranny has a ways to go before it's bulletproof.

I really enjoy the car now, and don't think about it much. I do think it's worth going through the motions for documentation purposes with your stealership to have it evaluated, but I think you're experiencing the typical tranny behavior that all of us are also experiencing.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand why Infiniti don't provide 2 sets of gear shift programming. Everyone will be happier if they do this:

1. By default, the G use the current programming. Sometimes jerky at about 40 mph, not as responsive, but save on gas.

2. With a menu option, let the user select a gear shift programming similar to the old but more responsive gear change. MPG go down, but the driver get a much better responsive feeling.

Infiniti, why not let the user choose???
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
volnedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my '10 G37 7AT a few weeks ago, and this is my first automatic tranny G I've owned. Only have about 900miles on it, but I'm still getting used to driving an automatic so I'm not sure if thats how the trans behaves or if its an issue.

Sounds strange, but I haven't owned an automatic car for over 7 years, so I'm not used to driving one on a daily basis. I do notice some lag when punching it, but I figured it b/c 90% of my driving is on the hwy and I keep it granny style when cruising at 75mph the whole way.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Hayabusa02

I have a '10 G37xS and am regretting getting the 7AT. I have had manuals for the past 10 years and thought the faster shift times of the 7AT with paddles (that so many cars claim) would be a good benefit. I was wrong. The lag is far more than my 450HP turbo Volvo S60R I just traded in. The transmission is just not what I expected. I have the Stillen Cat Back and Gen 3 intake and plan on putting the Hi Flow cats and Supercharge on later, but for now, I am very disappointed with the lag. Ultimately, I love the car, but that is my biggest complaint. I have 5k miles on it and it is no better.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Almatti

volnedan: Drive it locally at 30-50 mph, and let go of the throttle, coast a little or get into local stop n go traffic and you will See and Feel What these other folks are talking about. I hope that PeterUbers is correct, but FishMeetFish and Exit9 and I have made these comments on other threads. I want to stay on Point on this issue, and not just let be or let it go into complacency. This 7spd Tranny has Ruined this car, IMHO. Anyway, enough venting for today.

Too bad, she handles well, the X drives in all weather so well , better than other AWD SUVs that I've owned, looks beautiful, and has been so highly touted in all the car magazine and Consumer Report critques...It is frustrating & disappointing.. I Guess I'll have to learn to live with it for the next 38 months.

Last edited by Almatti; 07-15-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typos and additions I wanted to make.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the auto lags when it downshifts. If you had a manual, could you rev match and downshift faster than the auto does it. Unless your last name is Schumacher, my guess is probably not. That's the price you pay for the convenience of an auto. And yes there are times when I wish I had a manual too!

However, if there is a SIGNIFICANT lag, then of course that would be a problem and you should do everything you can to get it fixed.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Almatti

droogie; It IS a signifcant lag - at highway speeds, it's the tranny late to downshift in D mode, and local stop n Go traffic situations, either coming to a near full stop (after braking) then step on the gas and Bingo you have this Throttle / Tranny lag, really a hesitation more than a alg in that situation. i think that describes the Braking and throttle situation. At Highway speeds, if you Hit the gas , there is more of a lag feeling on the downshift and then she takes off..... Did NOT have this in the 07 with a 5 speed Auto Tranny - far superior to this new one. This is all for Mileage increase !!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Acceleration Swell

I think I know what you're talking about. For the 6MT guys, it's like starting off 3rd gear, if you know what I mean, from a stop. All in all though, we still get it all gears; that turbo lag feeling that you're describing. I did some snooping around on the Infiniti website, and it seems like this "lag" is there on purpose. It's called acceleration swell (or something bull like that); it's to create the illusion of "endless acceleration," even in the very top end of the powerband (uh...what power?). Something you'll just have to live with. I'm surprised though - the 07 G35 didn't have this? Lucky...
There HAS to be some sort of reflash that Cobb, or someone's working on...I hope
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
WAIT: i had a loaner 09 G37X and that pulled like no other. of course though, i drove it like i stole it. i THINK the lag you guys are talking about is the small bit when you floor it? there wasn't any lag using the DS mode + paddles. i'm new to nissan and infiniti, but doesn't every car have a learning based ecu? drive it hard/harder and it should learn the way you like to shift, etc? use the sport shift in particular. i know my previous 5at tl did - fully bolted and beaten to a pulp...literally.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Do you guys drive in DS mode or D mode when you feel that lag?? I drive in DS mode 95% and I don't really feel a significant lag. I also have blackbetty's ground wire kit, I don't know how much that helps.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
This is a problem that i'd like to know other members see and feel...
nope your right. although has not happened all too much in mine. happened at the worse time yestuday when i had to accelerate hard on the highway with heavy traffic. i know the car has explosive power so i did not give the guy in the fast lane much notice when i changed lanes thinking i would be up to speed in no time before his car bore down on me. well that didnt happen because i hit the gas and the car hesitated for a second. that was enough of lag for him to utter a 4 letter word im sure before i got up to speed. if it wasnt for that lag i would have accelerated fine and there would be no issues.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM
g37musings

Mine does it as well, sometimes worse than others. I think that it is certainly normal for this transmission.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Well at least we only paid 35k for our Gs
Imagine plunking down 55-60k for an M56 w/ the same issues
I don't mind the 7AT too much, I've pretty much gotten used to it's "issues". I do miss my 07s perfect shift points w/ the 5AT and it would always be ideal at 75mph to just punch it and fly by when needed. Now I just have to be more aware of the situation, but I get by. Too bad the 7AT isn't more decisive though
I'm still much more pissed about the pathetic paint!

Quick Reply: Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?