Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
adihere

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had this problem of hesitation with my 08G35xs as well as on the 07M35x, but the 1-2 sec lag is by far the worse in the '10xs but being that they were all X's im starting to wonder if its just an awd thing versus the rwd...as most on here that are experiencing the lag seem to have or had the X. Idk maybe there more in the algorithm of awd transfer case that it has to go through before it decides whats optimal w/o allowing wheels spin...idk its just a thought but that thought leads me to believe more and more it is the case. I never seem to have that problem w/ rwd loaners..although they were pre '08's
Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by adihere
i had this problem of hesitation with my 08G35xs as well as on the 07M35x, but the 1-2 sec lag is by far the worse in the '10xs but being that they were all X's im starting to wonder if its just an awd thing versus the rwd...as most on here that are experiencing the lag seem to have or had the X.
I tested my 09 G37 Sedan 7AT (no X or S) and it seemed to perform well in the test that someone here recommended - slow down to about 10 MPH from 40 or so, and then accelerate - mine behaved well.

What I see most on the "lag" is when going about 35-40, it'll be in 5th at that point - and then have to moderately accelerate - it's pretty draggy at that point. I have found myself getting into the habit of shifting to DS or into manual mode when I sense a "break" in traffic coming up, or where I'll need to accelerate a bit.

What bugs me the most in accelerating in the G is giving it some gas, it doesn't downshift and lags, so I give it more gas - then it downshifts 2-3 gears and screams off like a rocket. Sort of embarrassing when I have passengers in the car. I learn then, too - to use DS/manual mode.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
What bugs me the most in accelerating in the G is giving it some gas, it doesn't downshift and lags, so I give it more gas - then it downshifts 2-3 gears and screams off like a rocket.
That one took me a while to get used to. To get the G to downshift 1 gear is a true art IMO.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM
allagaroo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice it seems quicker off the line or kickdown at 3/4 throttle than flooring it. What procedure would u use for max acceleration? I'm assuming manual quickest and DS 2nd but would u floor it or 3/4 throttle. It appears others have noticed this. I find flooring it gives me disappointing results. 2010 GxS.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by allagaroo
I notice it seems quicker off the line or kickdown at 3/4 throttle than flooring it. What procedure would u use for max acceleration? I'm assuming manual quickest and DS 2nd but would u floor it or 3/4 throttle. It appears others have noticed this. I find flooring it gives me disappointing results. 2010 GxS.
Most cars seem to accelerate better, faster, and smoother with a steady increase in throttle. I noticed this the other day in the wife's Volvo - I got into it quickly, and noticed a surge of power and I was slowly -releasing- the gas pedal.

There is a sweet spot of air/fuel mixture and you have to stay right on that curve for optimal performance. Stomping the pedal to the floor usually won't get you there.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Almatti

TinsleyC: EXACTLY described what I sense. It's better with some miles on 'er. But still not like what my 07 was like....It's that dreaded 5th Gear on this tranny!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Almatti

Thought I would post an update to this thread. Now have 1800 miles on the clock. The 2010 G37X is driving better after the break-in mileage mark. The 7 AT is culprit. At first I hated the driveability of this car compared to my 07 G35X with the 5AT. It's better, probably a lot better BUT still not the same response and quick throttle that put smiles on my face. It is Smoother, but doesn't feel quite as "fast".... Also had first oil change at 1400 miles following the advise of Old mechanics (posted on another thread discussion). Dealer thought unnecessary but heck, I have free oil changes in the first year of leasing. I treat as if it were my Own...you never know - you might buy it down the road. i followed the advise of other members here that told me to Drive 'er hard ....forget the break in rules of keep it under 4k RPMs. That helped too...I drive it mostly in DS mode all the time - that's what my Dealer advised when i first complained about this crappy 7AT. That helped too. I guess the ECU does adapt to the way you drive to some extent.. regards to all you G "Spots" out there...DOMO
Old 08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cvroom
nope your right. although has not happened all too much in mine. happened at the worse time yestuday when i had to accelerate hard on the highway with heavy traffic. i know the car has explosive power so i did not give the guy in the fast lane much notice when i changed lanes thinking i would be up to speed in no time before his car bore down on me. well that didnt happen because i hit the gas and the car hesitated for a second. that was enough of lag for him to utter a 4 letter word im sure before i got up to speed. if it wasnt for that lag i would have accelerated fine and there would be no issues.
My 08 5AT coupe does this same thing. I have complained to the dealer and infiniti/nissan. They say it's normal. Dangerous is a better way to describe it.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Thought I would post an update to this thread. Now have 1800 miles on the clock. The 2010 G37X is driving better after the break-in mileage mark. The 7 AT is culprit. At first I hated the driveability of this car compared to my 07 G35X with the 5AT. It's better, probably a lot better BUT still not the same response and quick throttle that put smiles on my face. It is Smoother, but doesn't feel quite as "fast".... Also had first oil change at 1400 miles following the advise of Old mechanics (posted on another thread discussion). Dealer thought unnecessary but heck, I have free oil changes in the first year of leasing. I treat as if it were my Own...you never know - you might buy it down the road. i followed the advise of other members here that told me to Drive 'er hard ....forget the break in rules of keep it under 4k RPMs. That helped too...I drive it mostly in DS mode all the time - that's what my Dealer advised when i first complained about this crappy 7AT. That helped too. I guess the ECU does adapt to the way you drive to some extent.. regards to all you G "Spots" out there...DOMO
I'm guessing the car is 99% the same, and you've gotten used to it.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
NCNC

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
What bugs me the most in accelerating in the G is giving it some gas, it doesn't downshift and lags, so I give it more gas - then it downshifts 2-3 gears and screams off like a rocket. Sort of embarrassing when I have passengers in the car. I learn then, too - to use DS/manual mode.
Same here. It embarrassed me too when I was trying to merge into highway traffic and this happened. The person from the next lane probably thought I was stupid/crazy.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Almatti

15951: Not really. It has adapted and changed a little.... But today I really tried using the Manual mode. ABSOLUTELY NOT THE SAME AS MY 07... Jerky, hard shifting, Even DS mode is not even close to the behavior of the 07. New is not always better, and in this case as far as I am concerned that is what I am experiencing. Just checked Edmunds. A member posted a TCM reflash via a TSB (ITB09-032). He/she had it applied and they state there problems are gone OR at least much much better overall Tranny performance. My dealer didn't state anyhting about this when I brought my G37X in for reflash of the Navi system and asked them to Log in the Tranny complaint again. "that is the way it is" according to my dealer. It's still so Disappointing to me....
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure if this is an issue with the response of the tranny and/or a throttle response lag issue, but YES I'm experiencing this problem now too (I only have about a 1000 miles on my car so far).

I had a similar problem with an ‘04 Toyota Solara V6. Under certain conditions, you would hit the gas and there would be a noticable (and sometimes very dangerous) delay in throttle response. Eventually, Toyota issued a TSB for the problem and they reflashed the ECU which corrected it.

I hope if enough of us complain we can get Infiniti to issue a TSB for a reflash for a fix.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:14 PM
kroams

I just turned on my 2007 G35 sedan and almost bought it off lease just because I liked the throttle feel. I decided to get the 2010 G37 since everything else about the car is better than my 2007 G35, but I HOPE to eventually find a solution to get the throttle feel closer to my prior G35. It was so much fun to drive and a shame Infiniti changed it. I would get the Hypertech if someone can confirm it truly fixes the laggy throttle from a stop.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DocJohn
I'm not sure if this is an issue with the response of the tranny and/or a throttle response lag issue, but YES I'm experiencing this problem now too (I only have about a 1000 miles on my car so far).

I had a similar problem with an ‘04 Toyota Solara V6. Under certain conditions, you would hit the gas and there would be a noticable (and sometimes very dangerous) delay in throttle response. Eventually, Toyota issued a TSB for the problem and they reflashed the ECU which corrected it.

I hope if enough of us complain we can get Infiniti to issue a TSB for a reflash for a fix.
Make sure your dealer documents your issue. Seems that a bunch of people are experiencing it, and if enough people complain they have to look into the problem. My guess is it is a throttle/engine issue since I can duplicate it locked into manual mode.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Almatti

To the last 3 Guys: It is interesting and confirms what I and others have posted on this Thread, that more and more members/owners are voicing their complaints. Speaking with a friend of mine who has a Lincoln MKS 2010, with a 6 spd Auto tranny, that he too feels lagging and gear hunting. He had a reflash done at Lincoln (at least the dealer told him they reflashed it) and "seemed" better but the issue reoccurs. Maybe someone with real techno knowledge about the engineering of this drivetrain and ECU can explain it. I know the gear ratios are completely different that's why it shifts the way it does, but throttle response is definitely a ECU thing. Like many have said: if we keep up the issue with filing complaints with our dealers - maybe infiniti will respond.

Quick Reply: Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?