Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BillPaul
Does the AT not eventually "learn" your driving style?
What would it learn, if you drive it harder it raises your shift points..lol? Wouldn't it just make more sense to just raise your shift points when you drive it hard... which it already does. It sounds good and I think someone got the ECU's ability to learn and adust AFR confused with the car learning driving style and started this want to believe rumor.

There's nothing about it in the service manual, what it does state though is that the car is adaptive to the current conditions based on a host of sensors which are RPM, Speed, Load, G-force, braking and Throttle position and always tries to pick the optimum gear for performance in DS and fuel economy for D.

I don't see lag or gear hunting with the 5AT in any mode, I just wish it was dual clutch for instant manual gear changes. Only problem I've seen transmission wise is once in a blue moon, I'll give it some thottle in a slow turn and it will be as if the car stalled for a about 2 seconds and then it will pick up.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 07-19-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:14 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my g37 for a little over a month and i have noticed some issues with the shifting but nothing major. My friend has a 07 G and you can really tell the difference in the transmissions yet his transmission also has the lag when accelerating. I asked the stealership about it and i was told it was a safety mechanism to prevent the car from taking off like a bullet when you accidently press the accelerator harder then you intended. if you ever noticed the engine revs to almost redline when you floor it before the car actually takes off. This gives you time to correct yourself if you didnt mean to floor it intentionally. Highly unlikely that someone would floor it unintentionally but that's what i was told. I was also told that its a little more noticeable in the 7 speed because of the supposed acceleration swell feature. All in all I love my G. Yeah the tranny takes a little getting used to but its not as HORRIBLE as people are trying to make it seem. And Yes, the lag is alot less noticeable in drive sport due to the more aggressive shift logic in DS mode. I took an 800 mile long road trip in D mode and didnt have any problems passing anyone, Got my G up to 150 before I had to slow down for some curves. Scary experience, will never try that again. I have also noticed that its not as noticeable as it was when i first purchased the car. But its still an adjustment when i drive my 06 maxima which has a 5speed transmission.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 AM
SnoopSER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't this tranny a variant of the 09 GT-R tranny?(which was recalled, due to parts blowing!)So how come people are going through a different problem then GT-R owners? I thought Nissan fixed this tranny's problem?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:21 AM
lkevinl

By the way, I've found that D mode on my 335 is almost intolerable when coming out of just about any turn whether driving aggressively or not. I always kick it in to DS mode into the turn which inevitably means a downshift and better response on the other side but staying in D mode never feels good to me in that situation. Hence I use DS mode most of the time except on the highway to save gas. 19-20 mpg on average.

When I test drove the G37, I didn't notice any issue like this although I wasn't paying specific attention... should have read this thread first. I'll go back for another drive.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM
rAiN
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Should look into valve body upgrade
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by gugarci
But I wish in DS mode it would not let the gearbox ever be under 2500RPM's regardless of your speed.
I agree with that 100%. It seems like the car used to do that, but these days it lets the RPMs drift lower than that when I keep it is DS on the highway.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
XILAR8N

100% Agree!!

Yep, that about sums it up for me too!!

Originally Posted by Hayabusa02
I have a '10 G37xS and am regretting getting the 7AT. I have had manuals for the past 10 years and thought the faster shift times of the 7AT with paddles (that so many cars claim) would be a good benefit. I was wrong. The lag is far more than my 450HP turbo Volvo S60R I just traded in. The transmission is just not what I expected. I have the Stillen Cat Back and Gen 3 intake and plan on putting the Hi Flow cats and Supercharge on later, but for now, I am very disappointed with the lag. Ultimately, I love the car, but that is my biggest complaint. I have 5k miles on it and it is no better.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM
surfjax87

Personally, I think Infiniti should have used a 6 or 7 speed auto with the real tall final gear, similar to the new corvettes. Have the engine running about 1500 rpms at 65 mph, but not wanting to run through the gears as quickly as possible.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by lkevinl
By the way, I've found that D mode on my 335 is almost intolerable when coming out of just about any turn whether driving aggressively or not. I always kick it in to DS mode into the turn which inevitably means a downshift and better response on the other side but staying in D mode never feels good to me in that situation. Hence I use DS mode most of the time except on the highway to save gas. 19-20 mpg on average.

When I test drove the G37, I didn't notice any issue like this although I wasn't paying specific attention... should have read this thread first. I'll go back for another drive.

Ike: Go back for another test drive, a good long one with different road conditions and speeds. Read some of my posts where I described the conditions as best i can..... step on brakes, hit the gas, diving locally, and you will feel the "hesitation" {again, Never had that on my 07}, the lag you will feel at highway speeds. Other writers said he Floors it and he is OK with he response - he feels no lag. Maybe with Flooring it that works, but you should not have to floor it for some passing power. I feel "turbo lag" without a Turbo !!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
volnedan

^^^ OK now I realize what everyone on here is complaining about. Like I said before, this is my first AT so I have nothing to really compare it to. But even my wife noticed the other day when I was cruising at just btw 45-50mph and I tried to gun it to pass up someone, it kinda felt like the trans shifted to neutral for a split second, then downshifted into gear.

Honestly, it didn't bother me too much but I did make it a point to her that this is one of the reasons why I'd rather have a manual. She was a main factor why I got the AT instead of another 6MT. Oh well, only 38 more months, right?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
gugarci

So drive it manual mode. If you have the paddles just do a quick downshift and gun it, no delays. I do this all the time if i need extra passing power when i'm in D. And I rarely use D. I mainly use M or DS.

Also I just spent 2 1/2 hours trying to get home from work or route 80 East due to a flip over tractor trailer. I'm really glad and happy this car is an auto. Do I miss shifting my own gears. Yes, sometimes I do. But at my age, 46 and I have driven nothing but manual cars since 1980 until 08, I want an auto. At least in my every day car.

Last edited by gugarci; 07-20-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM
ged1067

Yeah! But I'm 82 and drove a manual until I was 68...Love the AT now...my wife hated the automatic at first (she was 66) but now appreciates it...

GED
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM
gugarci

Wow 68 driving manual, that's great. I couldn't do that with my every day car. Too much traffic.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do not have to floor the car to get a respond, actually flooring the car can be counter productive, you may get too much rpm, too low of a gear. Do not let the computer make the decision for you, it can not read mind, and do required times for it to react. The best way is to down shift to a lower gear, 2 gears if you are lugging the engine around, just like you are driving a manual. The car does adapt to one's driving style (quicker stab on the accelerator will hold gear at a higher rpm before shifting), if you are gentle with the gas pedal it will upshift quickly to 7th gear to save fuel. People, learn to control the car, or buy a Z06 or CTSV to get speed at any gear without down shifting, only add another $35K to the price of the G!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
ged1067

My wife is a retired teacher who taught in E.NY in Bklyn. Took our manual Camry to work every day!!

Quick Reply: Are You Guys Feeling This - Problems with Lagging Tranny?