Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to maximize 0-60, 0-100, throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 PM
mark5825

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is a gear change? would it just shift differently, and how much is it?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
No it would alter your differential ratio, trading in top speed for acceleration
Old 07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37Sam
No it would alter your differential ratio, trading in top speed for acceleration
It would increase rpm in top gear and reduce gas mileage even when you're not accelerating.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Pip
It would increase rpm in top gear and reduce gas mileage even when you're not accelerating.
No it wouldn't, engine rpm isn't altered regardless of what gear you're in, redline is set by the ECU.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM
YeeP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pip
Originally Posted by G37Sam
No it wouldn't, engine rpm isn't altered regardless of what gear you're in, redline is set by the ECU.
I think he knows what he is saying by his statement "increase rpm in top gear". By that I think he meant, "At a set speed or your 'preferred highways speed', you will be at a higher rpm" (assuming you will go to a lower ring and pinion gear to increase acceleration).

Although, I cannot say weather or not I agree or disagree that this is a good idea. I am used to working on older cars where this is an easy answer to the question at hand. This car is much more complicated and dialed in. For instance, I hope that Infinity took the cam power band into consideration when choosing the tire/r&p combo (I am sure they did). Being that they probably know what they are doing, you might want to crunch some numbers before your just throw a new ring and pinion at it. You could be hitting your max torque at much lower speeds and actually hurt your 0-60. I don't know the nitty gritty enough about the car to give a great idea. I would crunch some numbers before you assume a lower ring and pinion ALONE would solve the issue.

Also, minimize throttle lag by gear alone can be a "dangerous" game for a car that you care to drive on the road. I have a competition rock crawling buggy that is geared very low and when it is in low range, it has neck snapping throttle response.... Problem being, it can only go about 15mph in low range (not going to happen in a road car, just trying to show you the worst case scenario for going too low).

Last edited by YeeP; 07-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mark5825
So I am going to come at this from another angle, i have mainly been looking at HP gains which is nice and all but my real goals in order are 0-60, 0-100 and throttle response. I read that adding HFC and Y Pipe actually decrease low end torque which is needed for acceleration correct? so i wanted to see with my goals in mind what would be the best for my car. The things I am looking into are:

About to get:
Stillen Gen 3 Intake
Greddy Ti-C Exhaust - mainly for sound

Thinking about:
Berk HFC
ED or Tanabe Y Pipe
Eibach springs for lowering

What would you recommend for maximizing 0-60, 0-100, throttle response
Low end torque doesn't matter, if you're interested in 0-x times. With a proper launch, you're never in that "low end".

The best mod is free, except for time. Learn to drive the car. Second, shed weight. Third, get some lightweight wheels and tires. This will do more for you than the power mods.

Remember, there's two ways to change a power/weight ratio, which is more important at the speeds you refer to. You can increase power, or reduce weight. Of course, both is better as long as you can maintain traction...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:57 PM
YeeP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, rip out all the seats, head liner, door inserts, trunk liner. Toss the air bag..... Anything else you can think that isn't needed for drag racing?

Also rolling drag is the real killer. Make that driveshaft/wheels/brakes uber light. Get some gun drilled axle shafts.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
cruzdog954

Originally Posted by YeeP
So, rip out all the seats, head liner, door inserts, trunk liner. Toss the air bag..... Anything else you can think that isn't needed for drag racing?

Also rolling drag is the real killer. Make that driveshaft/wheels/brakes uber light. Get some gun drilled axle shafts.
How about some carbon fiber? I mean, fiber in your diet? How much do you weigh? It will be weird if you try to loose 50 lbs of car weight when you might be a bit overweight. Drag race naked!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM
strdr19

Also take a big dump prior to leaving the house!