Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Lag when flooring a stock 7AT G37x at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM
virus372841

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lag when flooring a stock 7AT G37x at highway speeds?

Hi guys,
I'm still learning how best to maximize the performance on my new G37x, and am running into a unique issue... Looking for some input.

So here's what I've discovered..

If I'm on the highway doing 50 mph, and I floor the 7AT (not in 'manual' mode, in full auto), two things happen:
  1. If I control the rpms with my foot, by letting the car hit the sweet spot in rpm (5500 on mine), the car bolts forward and accelerates like a mad-man.
  2. If I don't control the acceleration carefully and miss the sweet spot at 5500 rpm, there is a noticeable drop-off in torque, and the revs hang around 6000~6300 rpm for a couple of seconds before the car drops to a lower gear, and only then does it accelerate (albeit slower than #1).
Is #2 normal in other G37x 7AT's?

Help!?
And thank you
Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean "control the rpms with your foot?" Do you mean you are no longer florring the throttle? That your G accelerates faster by shifting at 5500 rpm with part throttle than by flooring it and letting the rpms rise?

By the way, if you are flooring the throttle, the engine will go far above 6,000-6,300 rpm before shifting. It should run right to the redline at 7,500.

There must be something wrong with your car assuming you are actually flooring it. Or, if the mileage is very low, it is still in break-in mode. Not sure if Infiniti uses this (other manufacturers do), but the characteristics you are describing would fit it.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:30 AM
virus372841

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
What do you mean "control the rpms with your foot?" Do you mean you are no longer florring the throttle? That your G accelerates faster by shifting at 5500 rpm with part throttle than by flooring it and letting the rpms rise?

By the way, if you are flooring the throttle, the engine will go far above 6,000-6,300 rpm before shifting. It should run right to the redline at 7,500.

There must be something wrong with your car assuming you are actually flooring it. Or, if the mileage is very low, it is still in break-in mode. Not sure if Infiniti uses this (other manufacturers do), but the characteristics you are describing would fit it.
Actually, you're right - not 'flooring' the throttle in the literal sense. More like, pressing it deeper than in city driving, until it reaches the 5500 rpm level.

It's still a low-mileage car (only crossed 700 miles / 1200 kms); couldn't wait to complete the 'break-in' period though!

I guess what I'm getting at is... past the sweet spot (5500 rpm), I've noticed the power drop dramatically at highway speeds - i.e. starting at 100km/hr, and then flooring it, the car hits 6500 rpm and is tempted to go past, and only then will it downshift and start accelerating.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 AM
use2vw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
our g37's have "BREAK IN MODE"? I was told by the stealership that "new cars don't need it and just go ahead and drive the way you'd like?" I didn't believe the guy anyway and have been babying the first 1000 miles...but what was described with "trans LAG when flooring it" has definitely happened to me too..
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I have had a 2010 g37x sedan loaner for 3 weeks.
car has zero hesitation, in fact it's smoother that my 5at.
as for as it being flat, yes torque is built very early with no improvement at redline.
I am almost positive it's the factory tune.
my car from 1500 to 3k is very laggy.
this car is in no way even close to the same.
just think infiniti thinks most of it's owners don't redline much.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
use2vw: Absolutely happens to me too!!! In fact, I'm bringing my 2010 G37X to dealer on Tuesday 7/6 for a complete evaluation of the the poor performance. I HATE THIS NEW 7 sp AT. It Lags, requires a much more Throttle push to make it downshift and Go.... At 50 - 65 on the highway, it has "open Gear, Untorquey" feel - like the first Automatics with Overdrive of years ago. If you read the Road & Track review of the first test drive of the new M - which has the same drivetrain / engine , they cite exactly this. Man, I am on a mission to either -RETURN MY G37X, OR Have some sort of major Upgrade of the ECU applied that will correct this vastly RUINED car. I've said it all over this forum, Man I miss my 07 G35X......
Old 07-04-2010, 08:46 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just returned from a long trip where I did a lot of 2 lane driving. There was no lag when I floored it to pass a slower vehicle. The G37 did real well accelerating from the 60s to 100+mph. I consider passing acceleration time a lot more important then 0 to 60 times.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
I have had a 2010 g37x sedan loaner for 3 weeks.
car has zero hesitation, in fact it's smoother that my 5at.
as for as it being flat, yes torque is built very early with no improvement at redline.
I am almost positive it's the factory tune.
my car from 1500 to 3k is very laggy.
this car is in no way even close to the same.
just think infiniti thinks most of it's owners don't redline much.
Hey Risky, curious what's your AFR at now at WOT?

It sounds like what you guys are refering to is that sometimes when you floor it it downshift and accelerates nicely, other times it just accelerates without downshifting resulting in a less agressive acceleration.. is that it?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
People need to learn how the car operates. The G will up-shift to 7th gear (to save fuel) at any cruising speed, I have seen as low as 1000 RPM. Of-course your car will not accelerates very well in 7th gear but you want to save fuel, don't you? If you want to do quick passing lane change then floor the throttle, or better yet down shift to a lower gear. The throttle on the G37 is very smart and will learn your driving style too; if you quickly stab the gas, it will reacts to the situation very quickly and perform fast down shifts. For example if you quickly stab the pedal from a stop the car will keep 1st gear longer and perform upshift at higher RPM. If you input the throttle slowly it will quickly shift into higher gear and create the condition described as laggy. Yes, in the conflicting world of fuel economy and blazing performance, you need to know how to operate the machine. You want to have more control, buy a car with manual trans. But then reading all the complaints, I feel like you people want a car that will drive itself and read your minds.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Almatti

No CodeG, I want the performance of my G35X 2007 with a 5sp AT. For perhaps getting a 1 mile increase in the MPG, You can keep the performance of this 7sp AT. I still have not "Broken 'er in" but I can't beleive there will be much of significant change to make me happy. If you didn't drive the pre-7 sp ATs, then you don't know the difference; If you DID , then you know what many are talking about here. I've brought my G 37X to the dealer this morning to address this: The answer right off the bat - That's they way it is.... No TSB correction, No Reflashes of the ECU, no Throttle body corrections. The "lag" is so bad, that I think I have a car with a older Turbo system. What a Shame - Infiniti ruined this car's driveability for the sake of EPA MPGs that you will never see anyway because in order to get something more out this drive train, you need to drive it in DS mode or use the Manual Shift mode which burns more fuel.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Almatti;
I am also particular about how a transmission works, I've had past transmission value bodies modified, etc. etc. However, I'm happy with my stock '09 7AT; I think you will be once it sets to your driving style.
The 7AT really will "adapt" to the way you drive. However, it does take some driving to get there. There is also a way to reset the learning mode to start over if needed. A thread search will show many posts on this subject.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Almatti

Thanks Boomer-Bob: Nice to hear reassurance and confirmation of what My Service Advisor just indciated to me this morning at the Dealership. I hope your right. I am going to take your advise and the advise of others I've entountered here: Push it hard, to hell with the Breaking In.. Let' s see what happens.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Thanks Boomer-Bob: Push it hard, to hell with the Breaking In.. Let' s see what happens.
Hmmmm... not sure that's what I meant. On the other hand, not sure I've seen the car mags "break in" cars before they test them either.
I drove my easy for the first long... 1200 miles, shifts fine for me... now.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
RedG37SNC

I don't know about you guy's but my ECU's dumb as a rock! I've read this before about "learning how your drive", I'm not buying it though, I think it's wishful thinking. The only real learning I've seen documented is the ECU's ability to learn how to set various engine parameters like AFR, Timing, VVEL ect... however it's limited to what's mapped in tables. Case in point, I've reset the ECU dozens of times and ran for long periods yet the car would always run rich WOT(pre-tune that is.) At idle and maintaining any RPM's it would run 14.7 which is where you want to be for fuel economy.

If we're saying that if you drive it aggressively it will pick fuel and timing tables that lean more towards power over fuel economy... that would seem possible if it has multiple tables... not sure here but rather doubt it. Even if there were, Nissan's tables would more then likely be designed to compensate for different altitudes and humidity to achieve fuel economy and reliable operations leaning rich and how you drive it wouldn't make a difference.

I think we've all driven enough to know the two acceleration program behaviors and two deacceleration program behaviors and the RPMs and speeds it downshifts or upshifts. Things get a bit less predictable with the accelerometer however for the most part they're predictable and that is how I for one would prefer it.

So where is there a need and how does this "learning" manifest itself? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 07-07-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 AM
KLB

The car shifts differently as you go along. I drive fast, but I do not really run it at high RPMS a lot. My car now shifts earlier than it did before, keeping my RPMs down. It does this in DS mode as well. Where my car would stay around 4K RPMs in DS mode early on, today it tends to keep it down around 2500. On the other hand it does seem to be more sensitive off the line now than it was early on.

Quick Reply: Help Lag when flooring a stock 7AT G37x at highway speeds?