Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Lag when flooring a stock 7AT G37x at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I don't know about you guy's but my ECU's dumb as a rock! I've read this before about "learning how your drive", I'm not buying it though, I think it's wishful thinking. The only real learning I've seen documented is the ECU's ability to learn how to set various engine parameters like AFR, Timing, VVEL ect... however it's limited to what's mapped in tables. Case in point, I've reset the ECU dozens of times and ran for long periods yet the car would always run rich WOT(pre-tune that is.) At idle and maintaining any RPM's it would run 14.7 which is where you want to be for fuel economy.

If we're saying that if you drive it aggressively it will pick fuel and timing tables that lean more towards power over fuel economy... that would seem possible if it has multiple tables... not sure here but rather doubt it. Even if there were, Nissan's tables would more then likely be designed to compensate for different altitudes and humidity to achieve fuel economy and reliable operations leaning rich and how you drive it wouldn't make a difference.

I think we've all driven enough to know the two acceleration program behaviors and two deacceleration program behaviors and the RPMs and speeds it downshifts or upshifts. Things get a bit less predictable with the accelerometer however for the most part they're predictable and that is how I for one would prefer it.

So where is there a need and how does this "learning" manifest itself? Am I missing something here?
RedG37SNC: I am in your Camp as well. My 07 had this "Adaptive learning cycle " as well. I never really noticed any real changes, but I generally always drove the car for the most part. Origianlly it was used for longer commutes - 80 miles a day, then shorter commutes to & from a train station 3-4 miles from home. The car performed wonderfull, a reactive throttle, over-sensitive in fact, BUT I LOVED IT!! And direct pasoitive shifts, no gear hunting , no "overdrive" feeling that I experience Now with the 2010 G37X , 7 sp AT. Picked mine up from Dealer yesterday, Advisor told me, just what is quoted before on this thread: Give it some more time, it adapts and changes. But he did admit, there is no TSB no Reflases of the ECU, and that's the way the 7 AT is. Drove it today - longer distance, I do feel a little suttle chnage in the downshifting, but at times, it feels like "turbo lag" and when travelling at 40-50 -60 MPH, I "feel" that Untorquey Overdrive sensation. It is too open & large a gear. At those speeds, RPMs are 1800-2100, the 07 was at higher RPMs and I felt no Gear Hunting whatsoever. At this point I'm Stuck.......Unless I hate so much that I will make myself such a PIA with Infiniti to insist on a RETURN. Yeah, that's happen....I'm going to try to make the best of it. But, Man I loved my 07. What AHOLE I am for not buying it...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not buying this whole 'lag' thing. You guys have to realize that its in SEVENTH gear at 50 miles an hour. Of course you're not going to get any torque. If you want torque, slam your shifter over and hit that left paddle three times, then floor it. Indicidentally, this is pretty much what you would do with a manual as well.

It sounds like some of you want this thing to always be in the right gear at the right time, it can't read your mind. It has a manual mode for a reason (yes I know it's not the best, it's no Ferrari) so pick the gear YOU want for what you want to do. You can't have it both ways, an auto trades driver control for convenience. If it makes you feel better, just think of how much it would suck to have a manual next time you're in a traffic jam.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This car definately has a learning curve and adapts to your driving. When I first got the car, I found it often stuck between gears or searching for the right gear. Same with downshifting. After about 1000 miles, it started to adapt to my lead foot and "expected" shifts and they started to be quicker.

I had my ECU and TCM reflashed last time I was at the dealership and noticed it took about 500 miles for it to re-learn my driving style. Same problems with shifting and searching for gears and upshifting and downshifting at the wrong time.

Now its used to my highway driving and ninja-like driving through traffic at 80 mph. When Im going 70 behind a guy and I press the throttle to pass him, it downshifts quickly and Im around people in seconds.

However, I could see a problem with this if you have 2 different people with drastic driving styles driving the car. My wife only drives the car if I need to take her SUV to home depot.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
This car definately has a learning curve and adapts to your driving. When I first got the car, I found it often stuck between gears or searching for the right gear. Same with downshifting. After about 1000 miles, it started to adapt to my lead foot and "expected" shifts and they started to be quicker.

I had my ECU and TCM reflashed last time I was at the dealership and noticed it took about 500 miles for it to re-learn my driving style. Same problems with shifting and searching for gears and upshifting and downshifting at the wrong time.

Now its used to my highway driving and ninja-like driving through traffic at 80 mph. When Im going 70 behind a guy and I press the throttle to pass him, it downshifts quickly and Im around people in seconds.

However, I could see a problem with this if you have 2 different people with drastic driving styles driving the car. My wife only drives the car if I need to take her SUV to home depot.
Not to worry, that sounds more like break-in then a learning transmission. There's nothing in the service manual about a learning transmission. Adaptive Shift Control is mentioned, that being the ability of the car to sense grade and corners and hold a gear providing the throttles not released.

What is documented however is that the transmision will always try to maintain optimum performance (DS) or fuel economy (D) based on the enviroment which it sees through thottle position, load, speed, RPM and g-force sensors. So if you drive it agressively you can affect the shift schedule however it's programmed to do that, no need to learn. Keep these sensors consistent and you'll see consistent and predictable shift points. Furthermore I've only ever notice two basic controlable patterns, < WOT for mid-band shift and WOT for redline shift in DS.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 07-16-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 PM
jq1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
People need to learn how the car operates. The G will up-shift to 7th gear (to save fuel) at any cruising speed, I have seen as low as 1000 RPM. Of-course your car will not accelerates very well in 7th gear but you want to save fuel, don't you? If you want to do quick passing lane change then floor the throttle, or better yet down shift to a lower gear. The throttle on the G37 is very smart and will learn your driving style too; if you quickly stab the gas, it will reacts to the situation very quickly and perform fast down shifts. For example if you quickly stab the pedal from a stop the car will keep 1st gear longer and perform upshift at higher RPM. If you input the throttle slowly it will quickly shift into higher gear and create the condition described as laggy. Yes, in the conflicting world of fuel economy and blazing performance, you need to know how to operate the machine. You want to have more control, buy a car with manual trans. But then reading all the complaints, I feel like you people want a car that will drive itself and read your minds.
I have been following this thread with great interest. I am new to a high performance car like this. Just got into my 2010 G37X 7at about 3 weeks ago. I noticed on my first few test drives of 2 different 2010 7ats the strange lag, sudden "yips" in both vehicles. Since it acted the same in both cars, I blamed it on the "rookie" (me) test driving it. But I still LOVED the car and it's value. So before my purchase I really "searched and destroyed" web sites, a lot on this one, the tranny issue, etc. Hearing a lot of conflicting info about, learning to drive the car, reflashing the AT at the dealer, that's how the car is supposed to drive and there is nothing wrong with it, obviously I decided to purchase the car. It had about 19,500 miles on it, premium package, sat-nav, upgraded wood trim and 18" wheels and window tinting. It seems to me that I AM learning to drive the car. It seems the more I drive it, the better the tranny feels, at least to me. My wife, who rarley drives it does mention the tranny though. Yeah, coming from a 2001 Subaru Outback to a performance car like this, I believe even though it is an "automatic" transmission, I still am learning to drive it. I still have the Subaru and it is hard transitioning from driving that, then getting in the G. Am curious about further down the road, how the Adaptive Shift Control will "adapt".
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ I learned new thing all the time about this car too. Lately I found that as soon as the trans up-shifted early, I down shift. I did that a few times and the trans will "learn" and responds rather responsively for the whole trip. That takes care of the lag.
At first I was also complaining about the rough shifting when the car came to a stop, but now I realized it is down shifting, so I can quickly accelerates again. To me that is a sport sedan quirks, an ES Camry will not do that. But I do not want a ES Camry!
BTW I am driving an old WRX, the G is wife's car.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I have a 11 7SPD auto,, "X Coupe". I found that driving in D or DS would kill me. As said above these cars are in 4-5 at like 30 MPH and 7th at 50 MPH?? ECU trying to save gas milage I guess. I gave up up on drive in D or DS and only use manual now.. Only issue I have had is the car "SLIPS"into 4th everynow and then,Not enought to take it in yet tho. :/
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM
jq1980

Originally Posted by CodeG
^^ I learned new thing all the time about this car too. Lately I found that as soon as the trans up-shifted early, I down shift. I did that a few times and the trans will "learn" and responds rather responsively for the whole trip. That takes care of the lag.
At first I was also complaining about the rough shifting when the car came to a stop, but now I realized it is down shifting, so I can quickly accelerates again. To me that is a sport sedan quirks, an ES Camry will not do that. But I do not want a ES Camry!
BTW I am driving an old WRX, the G is wife's car.
So are you driving in DS mode when you do the manual down shift, then back to D and it learns it that way? I haven't experimented with that. Yeah, my wife was saying something similar about how our 2001 Outback with 160,000 miles on it doesn't have the quirks of the G's tranny. Uhh, slightly different cars.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jq1980
So are you driving in DS mode when you do the manual down shift, then back to D and it learns it that way? I haven't experimented with that. Yeah, my wife was saying something similar about how our 2001 Outback with 160,000 miles on it doesn't have the quirks of the G's tranny. Uhh, slightly different cars.
I was in D and use the paddle to down shift.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
NCHIINFMNGR

These veh have adaptive trans, it will learn ur driving habbits and adjust, it might take time but with the 7 speed u will have slight delays at times, more so at 35-40, sometimes at higher speeds due to tourqe converter lock up, those speeds are at exact shift points, inf continulesley moniter and adapt 7at updates for this trans, when u go to the dealer just ask if there is any updates for ur concern, if i get anything ill let u know guys

there is an update for accel issues on the 7at bulliten