Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Is clutch chatter normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Shouldn't you be able to hear clutch chatter while sitting in idle? Mine does it occasionally when I'm sitting at a stop light or I'm pulling into my driveway. Chatter goes away when I push my clutch in, but when I let it go, it makes the noise. Kind of sounds like putting two dice into a tin can and shaking it around. It's annoying at times because the car sounds cheap. I haven't noticed it as much lately, but that may be because I have th radio on.

No, you can only hear/feel clutch chatter when the clutch is engaging/disengaging. What you're describing sounds more like a noisy throwout bearing.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^^ Maybe there is some confusion here. At least I feel so.

For me as tested... I hear it when I let of the clutch slowly in first without giving it gas... here's how:

I release clutch a little(no noise) Then at engagement(clutch half way released) I start to hear a chattering then once the clutch is fully released noise is gone.

So do I have clutch chatter?
Because if so I've had it since 2,000 miles on my car..going on 24,000 miles soon.

PS: Edited to add - I hear it on and off while in Neutral.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 06-11-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
AUC2MIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur

For me as tested... I hear it when I let of the clutch slowly in first without giving it gas... here's how:

I release clutch a little(no noise) Then at engagement(clutch half way released) I start to hear a chattering then once the clutch is fully released noise is gone.

Because if so I've had it since 2,000 miles on my car..going on 24,000 miles soon.

Yes, it is clutch chatter you are hearing as you are letting off the clutch slowly in 1st
Old 06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AUC2MIC
Yes, it is clutch chatter you are hearing as you are letting off the clutch slowly in 1st
So this is normal guys?.. It seems a lot of us with 6MTs have it.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
MSCA
Banned

Yes, your description seems perfect. But you should not hear that noise at all while in neutral. Basically, clutch chatter happens when the clutch disk is slipping between the pressure plate and the flex plate (which is bolted directly to the crankshaft). The chatter happens whenever this engagement (or slipping) isn't smooth...and that's why it only happens during engagement or disengagement of the clutch and not at idle. The noise you're hearing at idle is most likely the throwout bearing.

BTW, you should be able to feel clutch chatter with your left foot. In mild cases of clutch chatter, you might be able to feel it even though you can't hear it at all.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Thank you MSCA! That clarifies it for me!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
AUC2MIC

So this is normal guys?.. It seems a lot of us with 6MTs have it.
Depends on your definition of 'normal' I guess
Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by AUC2MIC
Depends on your definition of 'normal' I guess
Exactly. It may be common on these cars, so some people might consider it normal, but it's definitely not "normal" for a manual transmission car in general to have clutch chatter. I've owned several manual transmission cars and none of them ever had clutch chatter. My buddy has a G35 coupe and his has some mild clutch chatter. I was just driving it the other day and I noticed it right away.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM
AUC2MIC

Yup, it's pretty damn embarrassing sometimes... can't really hear it during traffic but if I'm in a small, quiet, parking lot, I can definitely hear it w/o music and windows down
Old 06-11-2010, 05:42 PM
cjc357

Hmm, I'll have to test this on mine. Sometimes I hear a load rattle when I disengage the clutch to fast. Sounds like something rattling under car and lasts a second or two. Is this a form of clutch chatter?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
MDG37S

Originally Posted by MSCA
Exactly. It may be common on these cars, so some people might consider it normal, but it's definitely not "normal" for a manual transmission car in general to have clutch chatter. I've owned several manual transmission cars and none of them ever had clutch chatter. My buddy has a G35 coupe and his has some mild clutch chatter. I was just driving it the other day and I noticed it right away.
I agree. Common does not mean normal. But to the dealers, apparently, it means we should just live with it.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM
MDG37S

Originally Posted by cjc357
Hmm, I'll have to test this on mine. Sometimes I hear a load rattle when I disengage the clutch to fast. Sounds like something rattling under car and lasts a second or two. Is this a form of clutch chatter?
No, that sound is probably because you are pulling off the gear while under load. Just about any manual transmission car will do that. You have to step on the clutch when the rev is better matched to your speed and/or step on it slower.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cjc357
I hear a loud "clunk" when I clutch out in first or second at slow speeds. I was always under the impression that this was from the rear differential unloading, aka "diff clunk"
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM
jabrother

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rattle in neutral is not the same as clutch chatter. What you are hearing is the flywheel rattle. This is very common on all of these cars. Nissan actually reduces the amount of "rattle" by using the heavy "dual mass" flywheel. If you install an aftermarket flywheel such as the JWT unit, you will get a TON of clutch rattle in neutral.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by kschwar1
does anyone with the clutch chatter notice this affecting the performance of the synchros? My car is on its third clutch, I get about 400 miles on a new one before it starts chattering again and now my synchros can be heard loud and clear when I down shift into 1st ( when creeping up in traffic only) or 2nd. I think the clutch chatter is prematurely wearing out my transmission. Had clutches done at 12k and 23k and car has almost 25k now.
Were they done under warranty? I would take it back to the dealer and have them fix everything transmission related.

Quick Reply: Is clutch chatter normal?