Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil change strategy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil change strategy

Vehicle
2010 G37 Sedan

Typical use
8K miles per year, mainly city driving.

Strategy
1. Change oil at 2,000 miles to Nissan Ester 5W-30 with upgraded oil filter
2. Change oil at 5,000 miles to Royal Purple 5W-30 with upgraded oil filter
3. Change oil every 10,000 miles thereafter with Royal Purple

Comments?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
After your first 5K interval, I'd suggest sending a sample of used oil for lab analysis and set next interval based on the results. If all is good, I'd try 7.5K or 8K and get analysis again before stretching to 10K.

Don't have any personal knowledge about RP, but you might check for the results of others running it in the VQ and how it's working for them before choosing it.

Many will tell you that's too long for the OCI, but let scientific analysis be your guide rather than opinions.

Question: How are you determining what's an upgraded filter?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by Black Betty
After your first 5K interval, I'd suggest sending a sample of used oil for lab analysis and set next interval based on the results. If all is good, I'd try 7.5K or 8K and get analysis again before stretching to 10K.

Don't have any personal knowledge about RP, but you might check for the results of others running it in the VQ and how it's working for them before choosing it.

Many will tell you that's too long for the OCI, but let scientific analysis be your guide rather than opinions.

Question: How are you determining what's an upgraded filter?
Good suggestion on lab analysis. What lab do you recommend?

Looking for a Class IV synthetic for extended drain interval. Considered Amsoil, but their 5W-30 is not API certified. Royal Purple is. Further, I don't DIY, and Kwik Car Lube near my house carries Royal Purple.

BTW my salesman explained that owner's manual says 30K mile OCI once full synthetic is used!!

Re: upgraded oil filter - from what I have read, I assume anything is an upgrade over Nissan OEM. I'm leaning towards Purolator PureOne Part # PL14612, but I assume Wix or K&N would be fine.

Last edited by CougarRed; 07-27-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by CougarRed

Looking for a Class IV synthetic for extended drain interval. Considered Amsoil, but their 5W-30 is not API certified. Royal Purple is. Further, I don't DIY, and Kwik Car Lube near my house carries Royal Purple.

BTW my owner's manual says 30K mile OCI once full synthetic is used!! I thought I was being conservative at 10K LOL.

Re: upgraded oil filter - from what I have read, I assume anything is an upgrade over Nissan OEM. I'm leaning towards Purolator PureOne Part # PL14612, but I assume Wix or K&N would be fine.
Blackstone Labs
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM
chasemyaccord

BTW my owner's manual says 30K mile OCI once full synthetic is used!! I thought I was being conservative at 10K LOL.

Ehhh??? Your owner's manual says what??? What page is this 30K recommendation???
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM
SM_Shadowman

It most certainly does not say that. 3,750 or 7500 are the recommended OCIs. The manual says nothing about synthetics.

10K sounds like a long oci for city driving, even with a synthetic. Especially if that means an oil change less than once a year with your stated driving habits. But I agree with BB -- what we say doesn't matter as much. A Blackstone analysis would give you a better idea.

I use the PureOne filters.
Check out some people have had Blackstone analyses done already with different oils and posted on this forum. I used the Nissan Ester Oil for my first change but will probably switch to Redline after reading some of the other reports:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...s-reports.html

Also, much discussion here:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html
Old 06-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I think you guys missed the sarcasm. Indicated but the "LOL" and the end of the 30K OCI statement.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I think you guys missed the sarcasm. Indicated but the "LOL" and the end of the 30K OCI statement.
Okay sorry, missed that one. Detector's in the shop this morning.

You see so many people put LOL at the end of pretty much any sentence, sarcastic or not, so sometimes it gets missed.

Edit: Well, I retract that then. See what I mean?

Last edited by SM_Shadowman; 06-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
CougarRed

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Ehhh??? Your owner's manual says what??? What page is this 30K recommendation???
My salesman told me that the 2 year/30K "Premium Maintenance" interval applies once you get on full synthetic oil.

Turns out he was incorrect. You would void your warranty if you went 30K between oil changes on synthetic!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
If you're going for an extended OCI, then definitely get a lab analysis, and consider switching to syn like Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra. Royal Purple is overkill for you IMO.

I'd be weary of those quick-lube places... seriously consider changing your own oil if you aren't taking the car to the dealer.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

My salesman told me that the 2 year/30K "Premium Maintenance" interval applies once you get on full synthetic oil.

Turns out he was incorrect. You would void your warranty if you went 30K between oil changes on synthetic!
I thought you were being sarcastic. Wow. Your salesman is a moron. You should let the sales manager know that he's spouting this BS to customers before somebody actually tries it and damages their car.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 PM
CougarRed

Wow - I have done more reading on motor oil today than I ever dreamed possible. I found out that Nissan Ester isn't "all that." I'm also realizing that this new G37 engine is a lot harder on oil than my old G35. Finally, I noticed that my G37 was manufactured 3 months before I picked it up, so the factory fill has been sitting in it for awhile.

Here's the new strategy, influenced by the postings of JonfromCB:

500 miles
Regular Pennzoil 5W-30
Purolator PureOne filter

1000 miles
Same

3000 miles
Same

5000 miles
Switch to Red Line 5W-30 with PureOne
Rotate tires
Send sample of old oil to lab

10K miles
Same

15K miles
Same
Change in-cabin air filter

Last edited by CougarRed; 06-04-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just do whatever it says in the manual. vv
Old 06-05-2010, 10:07 PM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow - I have done more reading on motor oil today than I ever dreamed possible. I found out that Nissan Ester isn't "all that." I'm also realizing that this new G37 engine is a lot harder on oil than my old G35. Finally, I noticed that my G37 was manufactured 3 months before I picked it up, so the factory fill has been sitting in it for awhile.

Here's the new strategy, influenced by the postings of JonfromCB:

500 miles
Regular Pennzoil 5W-30
Purolator PureOne filter

1000 miles
Same

3000 miles
Same

5000 miles
Switch to Red Line 5W-30 with PureOne
Rotate tires

10K miles
Same

15K miles
Same
Change in-cabin air filter
My service guy told me to just put regular oil in it like pennzoil and not bother with ester cause I don't drive too much. He said that oil needs to be dumped every 3 months or 3K miles, which ever first (for syn. oil - 6mo/7,500K). And since I drive very little, he told me not to spend so much on ester or synthetic just to dump it after 3 months. The next oil change is on me and I just don't know anymore. Everyone is saying different things and it's driving me crazy
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use full synthetic. no need for ester

Quick Reply: Oil change strategy