Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Why are you taking this personal? You know darn well you want the coolest air available in every aspect of the equation. Hot air in, compression (more hot air), heat soak (more hot air), all of this is not negated by an intercooler. An intercooler is your best way to cool everything down but they all have their limitations. The best way to fight hot air is taking every defense available.

Now let's talk about tuning. Do you tune on the dyno, on the street, at the track? You just said the transmission and oil temps very so much depending on your driving at the time. So that tells me that cooler will sometimes be putting out hot air and sometimes it won't. How do you make an optimal tune for that? My guess is you don't, you just make something that will work.

Why you got to be like that? You know perfectly well that's not true. I ask a perfectly legitimate question about a concern I see and you call me a hater. I also posted this to bring it to your attention since it's your car. That way if you did see it as an issue it could be addressed right away. Not everyone goes around posting hate, some of us are here to learn and help.
Whoa there killer, I'm not taking anything personally. I dont know why you got the impression. I'm just trying to answer your questions. Anyways, I think you would agree that the engine exhaust heat is much greater that heat from oil cooler. The air temperature traveling through the intake piping is much hotter than the air behind the oil cooler. That's why I say it's no concern. And the GTM intercooler is more than enough to cool down the heatsoaked air. I have been monitoring my intake temperature. It's consistently around the ambient temperature.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
Whoa there killer,

That's my line! Along with, "So there I was,"... and "the girl that lives with me". Sorry about that, I was a little offended by the hater comment and typed a little too fast.

How close are the intake pipes from the headers? If you are correct and the headers are going to heat up the intake pipes (heat soak) then it would be a great idea to thermal wrap the intake pipes.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IVW you are 100% correct on the headers and they are going to get wrapped. Sam and the tecks said this on the first day they saw my car. I also expect to see less gains from my SC install because of the LTH. They do not seem to have been a good buy. But ya live and learn. And ya is having the intakes beind the tranny cooler the best no. but there is nowhere else to mount it. Will it affect the temp post intercooler. I really doubt it.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
shumby

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Saw your car on Sat. when I dropped mine off, Shumby. Looks sick, bro!

Saw yours today. I might have sat nude in it just cuz i could. thats coo right?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I think the long tube headers are a great idea. I don't see anyone benefiting from the LTH without having a lot more air in. The SC's are the only "a lot more air in" which can take advantage of those headers. Otherwise, I just see the long tubes moving up the powerband and maybe at the loss of some torque. This is all my opinion though.

Wrapping the headers is a good idea. I don't know the arrangement but if it's possible, I'd wrap the intake tubes nearest the headers as well. And the best defense against heat from the headers is a good exhaust coating. Are the headers coated?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
One concern I would have is the air filters behind the outside coolers. With the bumper cover opened up, the filters WILL get wet in the rain without some sort of shield. Will that be a concern?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 AM
Staples

Originally Posted by terrycs
One concern I would have is the air filters behind the outside coolers. With the bumper cover opened up, the filters WILL get wet in the rain without some sort of shield. Will that be a concern?
It looks like the coolers are big enough to cover the full vent on the bumper which will give a shielding effect so water can't get behind, but on the other hand, how is cold air going to hit the intake when it's being blocked?
Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Is putting the air filters in back of the transmission cooler is most ideal place? The answer is no, but for all the options that the car have and all the equipment we are adding to it, this is the best set up possible with the least compromise. Also everyone is forgetting where's this car came from, we were more concerned with over cooling the transmission fluid so we ran the cooler in way that the trans fluid temp will get stabilize by the factory trans cooler in the radiator before going back to transmission.

Also the 24x10x2.5 bar and plate intercooler does a great job cooling the air before interning the engine. while back when we were still in the testing faze.. use to run the car without an air filter meaning the Supercharger will be sucking heated air by the exhaust manifold and still at that time AIT (air intake temp) were looking good due the intercooler efficiency so the bottom line, there is no concerns with the set up what so ever . I'm more concerned with the lack of back pressure and the ability to have enough boost to make the Numbers we are shooting for .

Stay tuned

Sam
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Love the placement of the coolers... "fake brake vents" are now cooling vents =]
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam do you ever sleep?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
shumby

lol he just is on the formes all day. the guys in the shop do all the real work. lol

Just kidding Sam
Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
Is putting the air filters in back of the transmission cooler is most ideal place? The answer is no, but for all the options that the car have and all the equipment we are adding to it, this is the best set up possible with the least compromise. Also everyone is forgetting where's this car came from, we were more concerned with over cooling the transmission fluid so we ran the cooler in way that the trans fluid temp will get stabilize by the factory trans cooler in the radiator before going back to transmission.

Also the 24x10x2.5 bar and plate intercooler does a great job cooling the air before interning the engine. while back when we were still in the testing faze.. use to run the car without an air filter meaning the Supercharger will be sucking heated air by the exhaust manifold and still at that time AIT (air intake temp) were looking good due the intercooler efficiency so the bottom line, there is no concerns with the set up what so ever . I'm more concerned with the lack of back pressure and the ability to have enough boost to make the Numbers we are shooting for .

Stay tuned

Sam

See? Just like I said....
Old 06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

That's all I wanted to hear, that others recognize it's not the best way of doing it. Whether it has an effect or not has yet to be proven though. You can't tell me the intercooler is 100% efficient. Well you can, but I'm not going to believe you.

Are the headers coated?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
That's all I wanted to hear, that others recognize it's not the best way of doing it. Whether it has an effect or not has yet to be proven though. You can't tell me the intercooler is 100% efficient. Well you can, but I'm not going to believe you.

Are the headers coated?
So are you saying that you don't believe that the air entering the engine from the intakes relocated in the wheel wells (behind the oil/tranny coolers) that goes through the SC and intercooler in this setup is cooler than the air entering the engine from the OEM intake location? Is that correct?

Just trying to make sure I understand what your contention is.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

No. The air temperature entering at the OEM location has nothing to do with my concerns.

In theory, you want the freshest, coldest air available to the intakes. Behind a heat exchanger is not the "coldest air available." They are limited by space and design and decided the current configuration was their best option. I can see that. They also believe performance is not going to be effected by the placement. They modify cars for a living while I turn valves so it's most likely they are correct on this.

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Install