Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme View Post
That's a lot of coolers. I assume 1 each for blower, tranny, and engine?

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
Yes, that is correct .

Sam
The last cooler is an intercooler. It's to cool the air from the supercharger before entering the engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
The last cooler is an intercooler. It's to cool the air from the supercharger before entering the engine.
Yes, I'm aware the the FMIC (the big GTM silver one in the middle) is to cool the charged air form the SC. There are sill 3 additional smaller black coolers (one center, 2 sides) and I want to know what each of them is for. I was presuming the one in the center was the AT cooler but not sure what the other 2 are for. One for engine oil. The 4th is for ?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Center is for the supercharger oil, one on each side for engine and transmission.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I like the set up ... wish mine looked this way.

Good to have the impact beam back in there, not so much for high speed collisions but because the tow hook is still available. Some tracks require a tow location in front of the car.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Center is for the supercharger oil, one on each side for engine and transmission.
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No plans for covers over the vents. The coolers in the vents are for the oil and tranny. The small cooler on the top is for the SC oil. And then the big cooler is for the air
Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll ask again.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
So, how efficient are those oil coolers and transmission coolers? How hot is the oil or transmission fluid expected to be? Ultimately, how hot is the air going into the air filters?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Modme
Registered Member

That's not really a fair question. How do you define oil cooler efficiency? Also, there are different size oil cooler that you can choose from, 19row, 25 row, 40 row. They will have different cooling characteristics. GTM uses Setrab oil coolers. If you want all the specifications, you can find them right here:
setrab.com: Brochures

How hot is the oil or transmission fluid expected to be depends on how you drive the car. Even my twin turboed car will have engine oil temperature like a stock G37 if I drive it normally. If I push on it, I can drive the temperature up to 260 even with an oil cooler. On the flip side, you can push a stock G37 up to 260 degrees with hard driving too.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

You're missing the point. The air filters are going to be taking air from directly behind the oil cooler (or transmission cooler). If the cooler is effient and works well, that air is going to be hot. If the cooler is not that effient then why have it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
shumby

ah the fighting on this site is too funny
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Why do you think there is an intercooler? Even if the air sucked in from the behind the oil coolers is hot, it is nothing compared to the heat the air will pick up as it travels through the supercharger and near the engine headers. The charged hot air travels through the intercooler to remove heat and then back to engine for combustion.

The air temperature that enters the intake does not have too much effect on the temperature of air that enters into the engine, as long as the intercooler is efficient.

This is why GTM designs their piping so that the MAF sensor is closest to the engine. It will accurately measure the temperature that enters the engine. This is an advantage over Stillen, who put their MAF sensor at the intake.

Last edited by Modme; 06-08-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
shumby

IVW is like RCZ on the Z site just hating for no reason
Old 06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
You're missing the point. The air filters are going to be taking air from directly behind the oil cooler (or transmission cooler). If the cooler is effient and works well, that air is going to be hot. If the cooler is not that effient then why have it.
Good point, yet "hot" is relative.. how hot is the question.. looks like it's time to get datalogging to measure before and after temps
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
shumby

i will hope i can help out with my comp II system
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Why do you think there is an intercooler? Even if the air sucked in from the behind the oil coolers is hot, it is nothing compared to the heat the air will pick up as it travels through the supercharger and near the engine headers. The charged hot air travels through the intercooler to remove heat and then back to engine for combustion.

The air temperature that enters the intake does not have too much effect on the temperature of air that enters into the engine, as long as the intercooler is efficient.

This is why GTM designs their piping so that the MAF sensor is closest to the engine. It will accurately measure the temperature that enters the engine. This is an advantage over Stillen, who put their MAF sensor at the intake.
Why are you taking this personal? You know darn well you want the coolest air available in every aspect of the equation. Hot air in, compression (more hot air), heat soak (more hot air), all of this is not negated by an intercooler. An intercooler is your best way to cool everything down but they all have their limitations. The best way to fight hot air is taking every defense available.

Now let's talk about tuning. Do you tune on the dyno, on the street, at the track? You just said the transmission and oil temps very so much depending on your driving at the time. So that tells me that cooler will sometimes be putting out hot air and sometimes it won't. How do you make an optimal tune for that? My guess is you don't, you just make something that will work.

Originally Posted by shumby
IVW is like RCZ on the Z site just hating for no reason
Why you got to be like that? You know perfectly well that's not true. I ask a perfectly legitimate question about a concern I see and you call me a hater. I also posted this to bring it to your attention since it's your car. That way if you did see it as an issue it could be addressed right away. Not everyone goes around posting hate, some of us are here to learn and help.

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Install