Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?

I noticed that for easy driving/fuel economy, the owner's manuals says that the car should be shifted from 5th to 6th gear at 33 MPH. I don't normally pay any attention to this kind of stuff, but since my car is still on order, I decided to check out the owner's manual on Infiniti's website.

I don't know about you guys, but when I was test driving the G37 coupe, the engine didn't seem to like going less than 40 MPH in 6th gear. I remember the exhaust system sounding almost like a semi when I gave the engine a little gas in 6th gear at 40 MPH.

I seriously don't know how they can recommend 6th gear at any speed under at least 50 MPH.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah that's under "normal" acceleration. under "quick" acceleration it says 5->6 is @ 50, that is just so they can have a lower limit. If they said shift 5->6 @ 80 MPH then obviously they would face problems when people get in trouble and point to the manual as why they did it
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
MSCA
Banned

Yeah, but my point is that the car is basically undriveable in 6th gear at 33 MPH. The engine would bog big time, probably even on a slight downhill grade.

Try it on your car tomorrow. Tell me if the car will accelerate from 33 MPH in 6th gear.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
... under "quick" acceleration it says 5->6 is @ 50, ...

Hmmm.....for quick accleration, I'd still be in 2nd gear at 50 MPH.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
worldcrafter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm normally in 4th gear at 30+ mph. any higher and i dont see a difference in the mpg meter--it actually gets worse if i'm on a slight incline
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no you're missing my point. I agree with you completely.

But think of it from a liability standpoint. Infiniti is going to put the lowest possible # on there. If they put the speeds at which most people shift (2->3 @ 50 ) and then someone gets in an accident and then pulls out the manual and shows that Infiniti suggests shifting at that point they are potentially liable.

I'm just trying to give you a logical explanation to why it's like that, not say it's correct.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
no you're missing my point. I agree with you completely.

But think of it from a liability standpoint. Infiniti is going to put the lowest possible # on there. If they put the speeds at which most people shift (2->3 @ 50 ) and then someone gets in an accident and then pulls out the manual and shows that Infiniti suggests shifting at that point they are potentially liable.

I'm just trying to give you a logical explanation to why it's like that, not say it's correct.
I do understand your point. But what I'm saying is that it doesn't even seem possible to drive the car at the speed they listed (33 MPH) in top gear. If people actually followed that recommendation, they would bog the hell out of their engines, which is never a good thing. I just think they should put more realistic number in there. I'm sure nobody really pays attention to those recommendations, but still it seems kinda crazy the way they have those numbers printed.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
6th gear is considered overdrive. I don't use it unless im cruising long distances.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM
amf25

we should just sticky this new owner's manual mod:
1 open manual
2 buy a black gel or ballpoint pen
3 strikethrough the "33"
4 edit in "85mph" above it
5 close manual

instant HP gain on the butt dyno: 330
Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 AM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i shift into 6th at around 35 if i know im going to be on a long stretch of road..it doesnt bog too much..its just driving the car REALLY easy.

merging onto the freeway or on the streets with a lot of lights im usually around that speed on 3rd.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
JLCann1

Really, who can honestly say they were ever in 6th at 33mph? Who would even consider that if it wasn't written in the manual?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JLCann1
Really, who can honestly say they were ever in 6th at 33mph? Who would even consider that if it wasn't written in the manual?
I have... when you're cruising through residential and not accelerating, its perfectly fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
JLCann1

Originally Posted by Mike
I have... when you're cruising through residential and not accelerating, its perfectly fine.
And what possessed you to do such a thing when fourth gear was perfectly fine? Why decide to upshift twice more pointlessly?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
And what possessed you to do such a thing when fourth gear was perfectly fine? Why decide to upshift twice more pointlessly?
MPG?

I can always downshift if I need more power. Shifting doesn't bother me. That's why I drive a MT.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:31 PM
MSCA
Banned

Well, I'll never do it...that's for sure. I still get a kick out of the fact that it's a written recommendation in the manual. People who say they've done it probably don't realize just how low the RPMs are in 6th @ 33 MPH. I'm telling ya, the car is almost undriveable because the engine is just slightly above idle speed and there's no torque multiplication from the transmission in an overdriven gear.

One thing that I like about the G37 engine & gearing is that the car pulls decently in 6th gear at 55 or 60 MPH. There's really no need to downshift to pass someone on the highway because 6th gear still gives you plenty of passing power. My old M3 was the same way, but most of my other stick shift cars were dogs in top gear at 60 MPH. My old 5.0L Mustang was a complete dog in 5th gear (it was only a 5-speed) at 60 MPH. I absolutely had to downshift to 4th in order to pass someone on the highway. Flooring it in 5th almost seemed like someone crimped off the fuel line! LOL

Quick Reply: Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?