Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 AM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by htownboy
Amen Mike!
Could not have stated it any better!
What you have in bold, is not what is currently being discussed. The thread got hi-jacked. We're talking about lugging.

6th gear at 33 MPH can be done. Not arguing that. However, accelerating in 6th gear at 33 MPH ain't good.

Anyone want to disupte that fact? Bueller? Bueller?

For G's sake, that's all I'm saying. But what do I know. According to Mike, I need to learn my car because apparently it has DOHC and not SOHC like an Acura TL, (an attempt to sling an insult that had nothing to do with the discussion at hand, which clearly lets me know that he is fighting a losing battle.

Geesus. I'm glad I didn't buy a 335i. I can only imagine the pissing wars that happen on those forums.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: ^^^
Oh it's good to have a heated discussion sometimes.
Go back and read my posts and you will see I agree and stated a few times about not accelerating from 33 in 6th. and why.
I just jumped in when I saw the post saying to do it was not good due and I wanted to clear that up so newcomers and drivers are not mislead into believing that it hurts the engine; If done properly it just saves rev's and fuel.
An engine will last only so many revolutions depending on variables, so in the long run, not turning the engine those extra evolutions ads to the engine life. Of course it also saves fuel which saves money.
On the other hand, if a driver wishes to do or not do this I say do whatever turns you on and\or is best for you.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by htownboy
RE: ^^^
Oh it's good to have a heated discussion sometimes.
Go back and read my posts and you will see I agree and stated a few times about not accelerating from 33 in 6th. and why.
I just jumped in when I saw the post saying to do it was not good due and I wanted to clear that up so newcomers and drivers are not mislead into believing that it hurts the engine; If done properly it just saves rev's and fuel.
An engine will last only so many revolutions depending on variables, so in the long run, not turning the engine those extra evolutions ads to the engine life. Of course it also saves fuel which saves money.
On the other hand, if a driver wishes to do or not do this I say do whatever turns you on and\or is best for you.
That's the thing, IT DOES. Flogging, bogging, lugging the engine at low RPMs hurts the engine over time and will damage the bearings. So, to be clear, don't push the car in 6th gear at low speeds. Rev match, down shift, and use the appropriate gear instead.

BTW, so people don't think I'm crazy, I'm not up at 2AM, I'm deployed for another 2 months and it's 0916 here in beautiful Baghdad, Iraq
Old 05-15-2010, 02:55 AM
owslystnly

I'm deployed for another 2 months and it's 0916 here in beautiful Baghdad, Iraq
Be safe!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpartanG37S
What you have in bold, is not what is currently being discussed. The thread got hi-jacked. We're talking about lugging.

6th gear at 33 MPH can be done. Not arguing that. However, accelerating in 6th gear at 33 MPH ain't good.

Anyone want to disupte that fact? Bueller? Bueller?

For G's sake, that's all I'm saying. But what do I know. According to Mike, I need to learn my car because apparently it has DOHC and not SOHC like an Acura TL, (an attempt to sling an insult that had nothing to do with the discussion at hand, which clearly lets me know that he is fighting a losing battle.

Geesus. I'm glad I didn't buy a 335i. I can only imagine the pissing wars that happen on those forums.
I'm convinced that post count means nothing anymroe. You have over 2,000 posts, and I'm thorougly convinced that you've been spewing nonsense for quite some time now.

What are you talking about? "AT is shifting so fast...blah blah, Lurn ur car, blah blah." You're attempting to sling insults because you can support any of your rediculous claims. Period.

Again, you can't dispute these facts

1. Lugging the engine is bad for cars with aggressive cams such as ours.
2. Lugging the engine is bad for the engine, specifically the bearings and will reduce engine life.
3. Attempting to accelerate in 6th gear at 33 MPH will cause lugging. Again, this is bad for the engine over time.

None of the above has anything to do with VVEL, shifting patterns, "lurning ur engine", it's basic car knowledge, not rocket surgery or brain science.
Agressive Cams? Agressive exhaust cams?

You do realize that this car has only exhaust cams, right? There is no "Aggressive cam" because guess what, there is no cam. A cam is good for it's given lift and duration. That's it. VVL gave the VQ a "low cam" and a "high cam", making it variable. VVEL gives the VQ infinitely variable lift and duration.

This isn't like a muscle car running huge agressive cams that idles like crap. It'll work well at any RPM, not just a small RPM band.

Between reduced engine output (refer to a dyno) and an infinitely variable intake cam (e.g. optimizable for any RPM) and an appropriate fuel map to go with it, the engine can prevent lugging. Can you put the car in a circumstance when it will lug? yes. Will the ECU do what it can to prevent it? Also yes.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by Mike
Can you put the car in a circumstance when it will lug?
yes. Will the ECU do what it can to prevent it? Also yes.
For your first question, that's all I've been saying.
For your second question, the AT won't allow it, but the 6MT will. Either way, all I'm saying is that it's bad in the long run.

Well, at least we finally agree on something...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...For your second question, the AT won't allow it, but the 6MT will....

Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying all along. It is the transmission that prevents an engine from lugging by shifting gears. And of course we all know (well, most of us) that only an AT can do that automatically (hence the term "automatic" transmissioin). The MT is 100% controlled by the driver, so of course it becomes the driver's responsibility to prevent engine lugging.

But I digress....I just couldn't find any reason to keep arguing with someone who doesn't have the ability to understand such a simple concept.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:35 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
2- I don't care if you were President and CEO of Nissan in Japan when this engine was being developed. It is clear to anyone with any common sense that you don't have any idea what you're talking about. Your own literature goes against your theories & explanations.

Sorry, but I'm beyond bored now, so I'll let you go ahead and get the last word. Say whatever you want and believe that you are correct. The rest of us know better. LOL
Ok I'm confused.. what are you trying to do here?

You started the thread, users were nice enough to chime in and help create what I found to be an interesting debate.. and this is how you respond?

Since you seem to "know it all" and not want to listen from people who know better, why start a thread in the first place?
Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you guys discusing accelerating out of 6th gear? The manual clearly means that if you are a slow cruise that going into 6th gear at around 33mph is sufficient and is good for fuel economy. Who is accelerating heavly out of 6th gear nothing is going to get done? Usually when I drive around I shift at around 2200 RPM and that lands me in 6th gear at around 35mph.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:15 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Ok I'm confused.. what are you trying to do here?

You started the thread, users were nice enough to chime in and help create what I found to be an interesting debate.. and this is how you respond?

Since you seem to "know it all" and not want to listen from people who know better, why start a thread in the first place?
Yes, that's how I respond when someone tells me to educate myself. I find that especially funny when the person telling me that has no idea what he's talking about. That's where the thread turned south.

Who exactly do you think "knows better" in this thread? A guy who claimed to work for Infiniti? LOL. Several of his comments are completely wrong and that is easily proven. But like I said earlier, there's no sense in debating someone who claims to be dealing in facts but is clearly dealing in fiction.

BTW, I didn't start this thread by asking a question...I was simply making a statement.

This thread should just be closed because it went nowhere intelligently.