Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 01:44 AM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6th gear going that slow will lug the engine, and obviously that's not good. On another note, 2nd gear driving in and around town is useless in this car, so I usually skip it unless I'm feeling froggy and I have some open road available.

Nice to see there's quite a few pro-6MT guys out there. Driving is an experience for me, and I would be bored out of my mind driving a slushbox/DSG/slappy paddle sports car.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:20 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpartanG37S

Nice to see there's quite a few pro-6MT guys out there. Driving is an experience for me, and I would be bored out of my mind driving a slushbox/DSG/slappy paddle sports car.

Yeah, I think people like us are a dying breed. Not many people are interested in driving MT these days, so it's getting harder and harder to find MT cars. And there seems to be a trend now where manufacturers who do continue to offer MT only make them optional on the models with the small engine. My neighbor picked up a nice MT 6-cyl Altima last year. Now you can only get the MT on the 4-cyl version. To me, that's a troubling trend.

Not to mention all of these tippy-tap paddie wacker tronic things on all the cars today. I'm gonna be pissed when the day comes that the true MT is dead.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Rented a Ford in Provence, France in April. With a smaller engine and a smoother clutch, there was not the "learning curve" our MT requires. Stilll, MT is so much better in allowing the driver to DRIVE the car.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:01 PM
SFG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If one wishes to drive a great performing grand touring sports coupe like my 82 year old grandmother, They should trade it in and get a Camry!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MSCA
Yeah, but my point is that the car is basically undriveable in 6th gear at 33 MPH. The engine would bog big time, probably even on a slight downhill grade.

Try it on your car tomorrow. Tell me if the car will accelerate from 33 MPH in 6th gear.
No it doesn't bog it drives just fine. I do 33mph in 6th gear all the time. It holds at around 1,200RPM which is fine for stead cruising.

Originally Posted by JLCann1
I'm willing to bet that the difference in MPG at 33mph between 4th and 6th is negligible if not slightly worse in 6th since the car is to far under the power band. Any attempt to accelerate the slightest bit in 6th at 33mph will result in far worse fuel economy.
You will not get far worse fuel economy. The higher the gear you can be in wit bogging down your engine the better the fuel economy. At 6th gear and 33mph you can maintain 1200RPM which is just fine. Plus you get lower resistance at the wheel and you can keep the throttle open wider without accelerating which allows for better fuel economy. One of the reason diesels get better MPG is because they don't have a throttle plate hence they operate like they are at WOT.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
Again, you buy a MT to shift yourself... if that's too much effort, you have little to lose by staying in a lower gear.

Some of us prefer to use our MT to the fullest; we're not accelerating at 33mph in 6th.
Amen Bruh!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

6th gear going that slow will lug the engine, and obviously that's not good.
So Infiniti / Nissan is wrong and people who think this are right, correct me if I misinterpreted this statement?

I agree with that last statement for sure!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 AM
SpartanG37S

I've driven manual transmission cars for quite some time, from an old VW's, to Hondas, and I even owned a fairly rare Jaguar X-Type Sport with the 5MT...

Having the car in the top gear at such a low speed is not good. If you're not on the throttle, then it doesn't really matter. If you lay into it, and get that nasty sounding booooooooog like you're driving a tractor trailer, that's bad.

But why even bother using that gear at such a low speed? If you have to engage the clutch and find another gear when you could just leave it in 4th when cruising in/around town and have power available pretty much at any time.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Dvit

Originally Posted by amf25
we should just sticky this new owner's manual mod:
1 open manual
2 buy a black gel or ballpoint pen
3 strikethrough the "33"
4 edit in "85mph" above it
5 close manual

instant HP gain on the butt dyno: 330
^ hes got it right
Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

I've driven manual transmission cars for quite some time, from an old VW's, to Hondas, and I even owned a fairly rare Jaguar X-Type Sport with the 5MT...

Having the car in the top gear at such a low speed is not good. If you're not on the throttle, then it doesn't really matter. If you lay into it, and get that nasty sounding booooooooog like you're driving a tractor trailer, that's bad.

But why even bother using that gear at such a low speed? If you have to engage the clutch and find another gear when you could just leave it in 4th when cruising in/around town and have power available pretty much at any time.
I drive it in 6th gear at 35 to 40 mph all the time. It shifts just fine and the engine isnt bogged down.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:51 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by GT35R
I drive it in 6th gear at 35 to 40 mph all the time. It shifts just fine and the engine isnt bogged down.
Nothing will interfere with the shifting since you're the one controlling it. Kinda unsure what you mean by that.

If you floor it in 6th, it will bog and you'll be going nowhere fast while putting undue stress on the engine.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Nothing will interfere with the shifting since you're the one controlling it. Kinda unsure what you mean by that.

If you floor it in 6th, it will bog and you'll be going nowhere fast while putting undue stress on the engine.
You know, you should probably do some research on this engine. This isn't your run of the mill engine.

Oh, and my s2k's engine will lug at anything under 2500 rpm at wot. It has something to do with extremely aggressive valve lift, overlap and duration Ohh, wait, the VQ37 has something rather unique when it comes to that...
Old 05-14-2010, 04:41 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by Mike
You know, you should probably do some research on this engine. This isn't your run of the mill engine.

Oh, and my s2k's engine will lug at anything under 2500 rpm at wot. It has something to do with extremely aggressive valve lift, overlap and duration Ohh, wait, the VQ37 has something rather unique when it comes to that...
I'm not sure what this has to do with lugging the engine At any rate, the lower oil pressures you have at low RPMs while lugging is not good on the engine internals. No matter what the engine, lugging is not good.

**EDIT**

Just to make sure I'm clear, I'm not saying you CAN'T drive at 33 MPH in 6th. I don't do it because I think it's silly. I'm saying that I would NOT attempt to accelerate (lugging) from 33 MPH in 6th. It WILL shorten your engine life if you do this continously. The cams in this car are aggressive, and do not take very well to lugging.

This is 6MT 101. Don't lug the engine, don't engine brake all the time. The latter will reward you with a new clutch, the former will reward you with engine damage over time, and both will reward you with a repair bill if done repeatedly.

Last edited by SpartanG37S; 05-14-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
This engine will not lug unless youre under idle RPM. The ECU simply will not allow for enough load.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Me also, many cars, different makes since 1978 and I was an ASE Master mechanic for Toyota before I was an engineer. I know cars very well, inside and out.

Don't "lay into it" at 33 in 6th.. Downshift first!
Another person letting us know that Infiniti / Nissan and the rest of us who know better are wrong. Just admit it and clarify that it's your opinion only. Also, there is absolutely no "booooooooog like you're driving a tractor trailer", the G is completely quiet and has no complaints rolling at 33 in 6th.

Do whatever makes you happy! Ride in 2nd. if you want to.
But don't say that driving 33 on flat roads holding consistant speed is bad because it's misinforming people and it's not correct. The manuals have backed it up for years. It's not like it's turning 500 RPM's, now that would hurt it.

Quick Reply: Shift into 6th gear at 33 MPH?