Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to drive the 6MT G37S

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually down shift rev match when slowing down, unless I know I'm coming to a stop. But I never just put it in N then brake in case I need to gas it and get going again (light turns green or if you need to swerve).
Old 05-01-2010, 11:37 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, its not as if it takes that long to slip it back into gear and take off again....

THen again, this is all moot to me because I really didn't care for my 08 6MT. The 7AT is a much better tranny application in the G37 just due to the decrease in NVH and not having to worry about a weak stock clutch anymore...
Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have always driven a manual....and by far this car has the thinest engagement ever...I have had a 1990 VW 16v Turbo with to 400hp Volvo S60 all with race clutches and I was able to shift those cars as smooth as glass. I read all the reviews on this car and how the trans was more bmw like, I have never driven a 3 series but I owned a 540i 6spd and again I was able to shift the car smooth. I assume I will master it with time.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This might not make sense but heres a tip for shifting smooth from 1st to 2nd. It seems like there are 2 clicks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Let the clutch out on the 1st click then when it is actually engaged in 2nd give it gas.

Let me try to clarify. For some reason it feels like the shifter gets stuck between 1st and 2nd. Not really stuck but a slight delay for a second. You can feel the tranny. 1st doesn't go into 2nd right away. idk really confusing to explain. You have to drive it.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:53 PM
ntworkg0d

Originally Posted by TomieG
This might not make sense but heres a tip for shifting smooth from 1st to 2nd. It seems like there are 2 clicks when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Let the clutch out on the 1st click then when it is actually engaged in 2nd give it gas.

Let me try to clarify. For some reason it feels like the shifter gets stuck between 1st and 2nd. Not really stuck but a slight delay for a second. You can feel the tranny. 1st doesn't go into 2nd right away. idk really confusing to explain. You have to drive it.

I know what you mean there.. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, its almost like there's something in the path of the throw, like a bump, and I always feel it when shifting, although once the car is warmed up it's not nearly as noticeable. Really odd.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
RaiderSuby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ntworkg0d
I know what you mean there.. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, its almost like there's something in the path of the throw, like a bump, and I always feel it when shifting, although once the car is warmed up it's not nearly as noticeable. Really odd.

I don't have the 6MT so I don't know exactly what the feel is like, but my STI was exactly like that, which was fixed when I switched to Motul 300 gear oil. Might worth a try.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:24 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Picked up the car finally, yesterday. 200+ miles later, I'm driving like a champ!
First gear isn't so bad, and hill starts are all right. I over rev once in a while, albeit rarely. I think I got it? Now I just how to figure out how to rev match a little better.

Question. I freaking FREAKING (freak ME) grinded fourth in slow traffic the other day . I thought the clutch was all the way disengaged (it's damn short), but it wasn't. How TERRIBLE is grinding gears? I've done this just this ONCE, and it was rather LIGHT, but loud enough for my passenger to notice; she wasn't happy with me to say the least. lol
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
don't worry about it it has/will happen to almost everyone at least a couple times.

as long as you're not doing it all the time super hard you shouldn't have a problem. I know how you feel though, the first time I did it I just about **** a brick cause I thought I had destroyed my new baby haha
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just tell your passengers, "grind it 'til you find it!"
Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 AM
eksigned

a few impressions on the G.

it doesn't like to be below 1500 rpms in ANY gear (aside from 1st obviously...needs a little feathering though); it bogs and complains.

it doesn't like "lazy shifts". i'm not really sure how exactly to explain a "lazy shift" but it goes along the lines of me not looking at the tach at all. it's not a problem with smoothness per say, but with sound. i noticed with "lazy shifts" i could hear the inner workings of the transmission shifting with my window down. maybe the clutch wasn't fully disengaged before i shifted? whatever the reason, no lazy shifts!

shifting to 5th is a pain. i'm still trying to get there quicker to let the clutch out before the rpms drop too much. i've succeeded like...10/15 times

and...

;sjf;dsjfi i had another one, but i can't seem to think of it! meh, will update tomorrow if it comes to me.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
a few impressions on the G.

it doesn't like to be below 1500 rpms in ANY gear (aside from 1st obviously...needs a little feathering though); it bogs and complains.

it doesn't like "lazy shifts". i'm not really sure how exactly to explain a "lazy shift" but it goes along the lines of me not looking at the tach at all. it's not a problem with smoothness per say, but with sound. i noticed with "lazy shifts" i could hear the inner workings of the transmission shifting with my window down. maybe the clutch wasn't fully disengaged before i shifted? whatever the reason, no lazy shifts!

shifting to 5th is a pain. i'm still trying to get there quicker to let the clutch out before the rpms drop too much. i've succeeded like...10/15 times

and...

;sjf;dsjfi i had another one, but i can't seem to think of it! meh, will update tomorrow if it comes to me.
Just keep your foot on the gas when you're shifting; instead of taking it completely off, you take it partially off.

It's just something you learn to do...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 AM
eksigned

Yeah, I THINK I know what you're talking about. I found myself doing that a bit today.
Good tidbit Mike. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Basically, all you're doing is keeping the revs from dropping too fast, so that the car doesn't lurch when you let the clutch out.

I daily drive on a 8 lb flywheel; the car goes from redline to idle in about 1 second (even faster if the AC is on). I have to hold the gas =P
Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
sammie

I've been looking @ a new Acura TL SH-AWD with a 6MT (cuz there's no used ones yet) and a used 09 G37S with 6MT for comparisons sake. Even though the Acura feels like a boat cuz it is a bigger car, it is much easier to drive: the clutch is lighter, the shifter works a bit more intutively, steering is lighter, etc. It's kinda feels like a big, luxurious Civic.

Where as the G offers a more laborous driving experience, but with tons more feedback. The difficulty of the drive helps make it a much more satisfying. When I drove the Acura, it was a bit of a relief cuz it was easier, but then I went back to drive the G a second time and realized just how much fun it is to drive....the poor sales guy couldn't get me back to the dealership. His fault though, I told him not to come with.

So enjoy the labor, it keeps it fun.. Can't wait to get mine.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
eksigned

^ hahaha! i almost, almost picked up the TL Sh-Awd w/ 6MT. Everything you mentioned is 100% correct! I'm glad I went with the G.

Side note: why doesn't the clutch like being disengaged at higher rpms? For example - I'll have to slow down for someone while in first. I've had this odd habit of disengaging the clutch FIRST, and then slowing down. Seems to be making a ruckus then, but not when I slow down first, and then disengaged the clutch. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: How to drive the 6MT G37S