Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to drive the 6MT G37S

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that's exactly my point I've driven in SF and really don't find it hard to start a car on a hill there...is it harder than on a tamer hill? Of course, but that doesn't change the fact that holding the weight of the car with the clutch is tearing it up big time.

But this has changed into just an I think/you think discussion...in order to help the OP and keep it OT to what exactly he asked about I'll just say IMHO it's bad to do.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
jryanp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
1) I wouldn't have bought the G as my first M/T haha

2) the G has the most sensitive engagement point of any M/T I've ever driven...take it to a big parking lot or uncrowded area and just learn the feel of the clutch

3) HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!
uh oh... HAHAHA it's going to be my first M/T....
Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
haha yeah I was kind of joking about that, don't get worried if it is
Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM
jryanp

haha i hope so! how embarassing if i can't get the car out of the dealer's parking lot.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
But this has changed into just an I think/you think discussion...in order to help the OP and keep it OT to what exactly he asked about I'll just say IMHO it's bad to do.
Yes, definitely an IMHO situation. I'll make my last statement and then move on

My motorbike is my daily vehicle, and I use exactly the same approach on hills, namely: hold the bike still with the foot brake (no handbrake on bikes, haha), pull in the clutch, add some gas, let the clutch out to the biting point 'til the motor starts to bog, then let out the clutch and let up on the brake, and off I go. This guarantees I'll go forwards at a controlled rate, and I wouldn't have it any other way
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
britishmutt

Originally Posted by jryanp
haha i hope so! how embarassing if i can't get the car out of the dealer's parking lot.
So when I was at the Audi dealership the guy there showed me some vids of epic 'new car buyer' failures they've witnessed on the lot, including one newb who bought a brand new stick (an A4) having never even driven one before, and proceeded to lurch around the parking lot until he crashed into someone else who had just picked up their new car! The funniest part was you could hear someone off camera say "Oh no, not again!"
Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this nonsense about using the clutch to hold the car on the hill. If you aren't comfortable moving from the brake to the accelerator, use the ebrake and just let it down as you start to take off... how is that so complicated?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Namir
What is this nonsense about using the clutch to hold the car on the hill. If you aren't comfortable moving from the brake to the accelerator, use the ebrake and just let it down as you start to take off... how is that so complicated?

people aren't coordinated.. I mean it's the truth, which is why I like the idea of a manual being more expensive sometimes... I always laugh at people that buy really nice cars as their first manual experience... shoot I knew a guy that couldn't get it out of the dealership too. His GF drove it home HA HA HA HA

I mean shoot I drove a MT all my life and when I bought the 7AT i was like man... that probably wasn't a good idea... ha ha I mean I drive the 6MT coupe smoother than the 7AT does. that's what I get for having faith in technology when it comes to driving a car. next time, if it's not a double clutch, forget it. these CVTs are garbage.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
people aren't coordinated.. I mean it's the truth, which is why I like the idea of a manual being more expensive sometimes... I always laugh at people that buy really nice cars as their first manual experience... shoot I knew a guy that couldn't get it out of the dealership too. His GF drove it home HA HA HA HA

I mean shoot I drove a MT all my life and when I bought the 7AT i was like man... that probably wasn't a good idea... ha ha I mean I drive the 6MT coupe smoother than the 7AT does. that's what I get for having faith in technology when it comes to driving a car. next time, if it's not a double clutch, forget it. these CVTs are garbage.
lol
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
jryanp

I always laugh at people that buy really nice cars as their first manual experience...

hey, well i like the car, and i don't have the money to be buying a "practice" car first! haha
Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by jryanp

hey, well i like the car, and i don't have the money to be buying a "practice" car first! haha
yurp, +1 haha
Old 04-30-2010, 03:48 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always laugh at people that laugh at other people that buy really nice cars as their first manual experience
Old 04-30-2010, 03:54 AM
eksigned

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I always laugh at people that laugh at other people that buy really nice cars as their first manual experience
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck. The G37 6MT clutch has a weird engagement that makes it difficult to drive smoothly (and I've owned 6+ MT cars over the past 15 years). It is by far the hardest one I've ever driven. You get used to it but be careful, this car also has a weak clutch. Mine felt like it was ready to let go at just 40k miles and it costs big bucks to replace....
Old 04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since when does the G37 have a CVT????

Quick Reply: How to drive the 6MT G37S