Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

D or DS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
If you really want to not waste gas, then use Snow Mode. It replicates a "normal" car auto transmission shifting pattern and throttle response.

D is equivalent to a sporty mode in most cars.

DS is aggressive--too much so for any kind of normal driving as mentioned above.

I agree that either D (with or without Snow Mode) or manual is the way to go. DS is a bit silly and can't really anticipate the conditions you are driving in (hills, corners, traffic, etc.) so therefore cannot be in the right gear at the right time.
Thanks to all the responses; different strokes for different folks, but the above seems right for me.

GED
Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
D = rpms too low. DS = rpms too high. Choose your poison. I use DS when taking turns and want to be "in gear" rather than floating around in 7th. If you want to canyon carve, manual mode is the way to go. Regular driving 99% of the time I think D is just fine.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by uwnav
snow mode is on the AWD cars. Reduces throttle response, so that you don't spin out as easily.
I'm confused about the better mileage argument, doesn't it also lock you into 4WD? (instead of 80%-20%), how would that be better for gas?
No, it does not lock the car into AWD.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 AM
jwoods986

I try to keep it in D but it upshifts so early/quickly in each gear that I'm constantly "caught out" of gear when trying to move quickly. Like changing lanes in traffic or merging onto a highway. It gets so frustrating, so I end up doing M mode a lot of the time.

DS is pretty good for spirited driving, but keeps the rpms too high for daily driving and sometimes doesn't downshift when approaching a turn. So once again, I'll usually end up going to manual mode. I don't have the S package, so I don't have the option of having it in D, then automatically going into M via the paddles. I have to go to DS first.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Uhh... M...T.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jwoods986
I try to keep it in D but it upshifts so early/quickly in each gear that I'm constantly "caught out" of gear when trying to move quickly. Like changing lanes in traffic or merging onto a highway. It gets so frustrating, so I end up doing M mode a lot of the time.

DS is pretty good for spirited driving, but keeps the rpms too high for daily driving and sometimes doesn't downshift when approaching a turn. So once again, I'll usually end up going to manual mode. I don't have the S package, so I don't have the option of having it in D, then automatically going into M via the paddles. I have to go to DS first.
My advice: Install the paddle shifts. I did it myself and it works great. I don't have the S package either.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
DS will converge with D over time if you drive non-spirited. This is due to the "learning" nature of the ECU.

My advice is if you're just driving normally through traffic, use D. If you're wanting to drive spirited, kick it into DS, but when your satisfied, switch back to D. This way, the ECU doesn't learn based on you taking turns at 15MPH after you're done.

I never use DS anymore, either D or MM.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
FourT2

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
My advice: Install the paddle shifts. I did it myself and it works great. I don't have the S package either.
Can you provide some more info, like the cost of the parts, how-to, etc?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FourT2
Can you provide some more info, like the cost of the parts, how-to, etc?
Search the forum. There are a bunch of threads on this, with at least 2 ways to install. Cost is around $250.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

Originally Posted by finagle69
DS will converge with D over time if you drive non-spirited. This is due to the "learning" nature of the ECU.

My advice is if you're just driving normally through traffic, use D. If you're wanting to drive spirited, kick it into DS, but when your satisfied, switch back to D. This way, the ECU doesn't learn based on you taking turns at 15MPH after you're done.

I never use DS anymore, either D or MM.
This is fascinating tell me more about this learning ECU.

Wouldn't the D/DS also converge over time if I was driving "spirited"?

I don't understand not using DS anymore, it just retards shifting and allows me to use the upper band of the rpm more. Maybe because you're driving non-spirited now? Not doubting you, just want to learn more.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
The way I see it, the only benefit from DS is the perfect shifting (especially in first), otherwise it's just a waste, get used to driving in M mode, I think it's the best since YOU get to control at what rpm to shift.. Only wish the paddles were a bit more responsive
Old 04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freesurfer
This is fascinating tell me more about this learning ECU.

Wouldn't the D/DS also converge over time if I was driving "spirited"?

I don't understand not using DS anymore, it just retards shifting and allows me to use the upper band of the rpm more. Maybe because you're driving non-spirited now? Not doubting you, just want to learn more.

THis whole learnign this is a bunch of BS. Most cars today "learn" or adjust to your driving. My car drives the same whether I baby it for weeks or beat on it constantly. I see no perceptable difference. Its people brains that are "learning".
Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex57r
THis whole learnign this is a bunch of BS. Most cars today "learn" or adjust to your driving. My car drives the same whether I baby it for weeks or beat on it constantly. I see no perceptable difference. Its people brains that are "learning".
While that may be your experience, I drove with DS only for about 6 months. during that time, I noticed the car being less willing to downshift during harder braking as well as it being more prone to upshifting at a lower RPM. After doing an ECU reset, it was a noticeable difference back to how it "used" to operate.

Obviously, YMMV.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
cdso

The only time I use DS is when I'm switching over to M mode. Other than that, it's doesn't really serve a purpose for me.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
The way I see it, the only benefit from DS is the perfect shifting (especially in first), otherwise it's just a waste, get used to driving in M mode, I think it's the best since YOU get to control at what rpm to shift.. Only wish the paddles were a bit more responsive
Perfect shifting would be a pretty solid benefit, seeing as how the transmission exists to shift gears. How is that a waste?!?