Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help cobb or UPrev

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Glad to hear bro haha
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hey Sam, not to get too OT, but is it easy to use the uprev software on your own or do you HAVE to take it to a tuner?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

What you're asking me is like asking

"If I get flour, some butter and sugar and try to make some cookies, will they taste good?"

It depends on your recipe and how well you know it

You will need a dyno and a wideband A/F sensor to start with.. I suggest taking it to a tuner
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Bahrain5666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
video is up on a new thread
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
dgomes

If you're looking for an UpRev tuning kit, I have one for sale. I used it on my G35 and uninstalled it when I traded it in for the G37. I no longer need it because I'm getting a Stillen SC which includes a reprogrammer. I can assure you that the UpRev tuner is better than the Cobb AP and it's very simple to use. It only takes about 5 minutes to flash your ECU. PM me if you are interested.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
DCook42

Bahrain -
I researched for some time before going Uprev. I'm very happy with my result of 320 WHP and a much more linear AFR.

It was my understanding that Cobb only played with AFR and not with ignition timing, and that it only came with 3 or 4 pre-loaded maps... not ideal. However it seems Whiddles is making the point for getting a custom tune and loading it onto your Cobb Accessport, which sounds like a comparable solution.
On the other hand, and for me personally, my "local" Uprev tuner was the more knowledgeable party - so I decided to go for it. In hindsight, I'm *very* pleased with the result. Please read my Uprev Tune review, and see the dyno sheet here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...prev-tune.html

My sole gripe is that the tuner erased my stock tune before we got a dyno sheet of it, so I lost the "before" curve to compare to. This obviously shouldn't happen to you, or anyone really. With my mods, I can only guess and speculate exactly what the WHP and Torque would've been before (300ish?). Furthermore, the initial AFR was very lean at low RPM's, and then very rich at high RPM's. After the tune, you can see how linear it became.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Uprev tune, and Sam I believe made a good point that it is key to have your car in good hands, someone you trust and is knowledgeable and experienced to actually do the tune for ya, regardless of which method you go for. I can feel my car pull much harder now, and I have now maximized my bolt on mod's performance, which was my goal at the time

Good luck and let us know how your tune/dyno run goes. -DC
Old 04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Bahrain5666

Originally Posted by DCook42
Bahrain -
I researched for some time before going Uprev. I'm very happy with my result of 320 WHP and a much more linear AFR.

It was my understanding that Cobb only played with AFR and not with ignition timing, and that it only came with 3 or 4 pre-loaded maps... not ideal. However it seems Whiddles is making the point for getting a custom tune and loading it onto your Cobb Accessport, which sounds like a comparable solution.
On the other hand, and for me personally, my "local" Uprev tuner was the more knowledgeable party - so I decided to go for it. In hindsight, I'm *very* pleased with the result. Please read my Uprev Tune review, and see the dyno sheet here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...prev-tune.html

My sole gripe is that the tuner erased my stock tune before we got a dyno sheet of it, so I lost the "before" curve to compare to. This obviously shouldn't happen to you, or anyone really. With my mods, I can only guess and speculate exactly what the WHP and Torque would've been before (300ish?). Furthermore, the initial AFR was very lean at low RPM's, and then very rich at high RPM's. After the tune, you can see how linear it became.

Overall I'm very pleased with my Uprev tune, and Sam I believe made a good point that it is key to have your car in good hands, someone you trust and is knowledgeable and experienced to actually do the tune for ya, regardless of which method you go for. I can feel my car pull much harder now, and I have now maximized my bolt on mod's performance, which was my goal at the time

Good luck and let us know how your tune/dyno run goes. -DC
thanx for passing by
your post means a lot... 320 whp,,, im happy for you and cant wait to get the same or maybe 330 whp
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by whiddles
not sure of golf specs but the cobb has standard maps which are the ones you can not use with intakes. i run stage 2 map right now cause i do not have a custom tune
I had to switch back from stage 2+ to stock style map.

stillen gen 3 is not the standard intake.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:08 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Bro, stop wasting your time with off the shelf maps
Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^agreed. the only reason i personally like cobb is the fact you can hold it in your hand and not have to go to a tuner anytime you need to change a map for a new mod. cobb is cheaper and you can change it how you please. they both do the same amount of tuning af, engine timing and lite cam timing. cobb makes dealer trips easier cause you can uninstall cobb yourself where as uprev has to be done at uprev. it gives me a better state of mind when i drop the car off at the dealer that they are not going to find an aftermarket tune on the car.
just my two cents.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by whiddles
^agreed. the only reason i personally like cobb is the fact you can hold it in your hand and not have to go to a tuner anytime you need to change a map for a new mod. cobb is cheaper and you can change it how you please. they both do the same amount of tuning af, engine timing and lite cam timing. cobb makes dealer trips easier cause you can uninstall cobb yourself where as uprev has to be done at uprev. it gives me a better state of mind when i drop the car off at the dealer that they are not going to find an aftermarket tune on the car.
just my two cents.
although you can change maps thru the cruise control(icc).
if you are not equiped with that option,uprev is not for you.

I persoanlly like the cobbs abillity for more gains thru timing.

So far not so bad they just need to unlock the engine timing,then uprev will zero appeal to me.

And I would agree 100%about the car at the dealer.

You know they can figure out who is modded, they drive the exact same cars day in and day out.

I say why give them a reson.

uprev plus $800.00 for a basic tune no thanks.

Ill take my chances with the cobb.
325 whp cobb plus my additional boost = see later uprev.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

yes sir .
Old 04-25-2010, 01:17 PM
DCook42

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY

uprev plus $800.00 for a basic tune no thanks.

Ouch! My tune was under $600, which I think is just what the accessport costs.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
norris_83

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
if you're ever free, you could take a trip up to my garage in Kuwait.. I've got a 224x dyno we could tune you G on
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DCook42
Ouch! My tune was under $600, which I think is just what the accessport costs.
where you go in CT for that

Quick Reply: Help cobb or UPrev