Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!
View Poll Results: Would you choose the GTM or Stillen Supercharger Kit?
GTM
69.49%
Stillen
30.51%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Which Supercharger kit would you buy or are you buying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG37
FYI, I've never questioned his knowledge...just the way he voices his opinion.
Please point to me where his opinion was voiced inappropriately.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So in the interest of getting back on topic, here my 2 cents worth about why I prefer GTM's kit.
1. Performance- the numbers of the two kits are both great and are so close that arguing about a few horsepower here and there is pointless due to car and dyno variables.
2. Price- that one's a no-brainer.
3. Quality- I looked at customer reviews on different forums of their previous forced induction systems. GTM's customer reviews for their TT systems were quite a bit more positive than Stillen's reviews on their previous SC systems when it came to reliability and performance.
4. Looks and Sound- I prefer the clean look of the GTM kit. Stillen's kit seems a bit messy to me. Also, I like the more subtle sound of the Rotrex over the louder Vortech unit.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well in that case, here are my factors and what I would give an edge to:

1. Performance (HP/TQ data) - Right now, both kits are about 8psi and putting down similar WHP. My thought process would be to do it right in step 1. This wouldnt be a multi stage upgrade project for me. I would pick my target level of HP, and go with it and therefore Id give a nod to whatever powerband was better at my desired HP level. If both kits were at 8 psi and putting down a very different amount of HP, that would be a different story. Also, I'd like to see an independent dyno from an individual with the kit on, so right now, its a little early for me to make a concrete decision in the power department. Although I believe both GTM and Stillen are good companies, I always like to see the independent dyno.

Also, people should understand dyno variance and with a FI vehicle, its very easy to see a difference of 10 hp from pull to pull. I would never make a decision on one kit or the other over a 10 hp difference from one dyno pull to another. Say it was 50, thats another story, but I think the current difference between these kits falls in the grey dyno variance area. Heck, stock G37s easily see a difference of 10 hp from pull to pull.

2. Price - Unless there was a significant price difference, Im not going to buy something just to save a few bucks. With FI, you gotta pay to play and overall I would choose the better kit that fit the bill for me if they are in a similar price range. If im dead even with both kits, then price might sway me one way or the other. The way I see it is this is a 40k car and if you want to go FI, you should pick the kit that best meets your needs.

3. Name Brand / 4. Customer Service/Reputation/6. Reliability - These go in the same category for me. Both companies are experienced, both have done a good job on the boards here answering questions, and I would trust either company. I think this is a push. Customer service is VERY important because if something goes wrong with your kit, you want to have a company who is willing to help you troubleshoot and fix it, and I have confidence in both companies to do this.

Also, going FI means a lot can go wrong and serious damage can happen to your engine which can cost a lot of money that wont be covered under your infiniti warranty.

5. Warranty options - Important to me. My car only has 6k miles on it and I plan to have it for awhile. If one kit offered a warranty and the other didnt, I would give points to the kit that offered a warranty.

7. Aesthetics (Looks/Sound) - Very important. My car is a daily driver and I take it on road trips with my wife. I like the stocklike look of the exterior of my car. Im not a fan of huge rims with the car scratching on the pavement over bumps or exhausts that sound like rocketships. Call me an old fart, but I like a cleaner look. I would prefer a quieter supercharger that looks clean under the engine. I do like the stocklike under the hood look of the GTM system a little better. Visually, it looks cleaner. As for sound, both claim to be on the quieter side, but I would give a point to the quieter charger. I know the powers there, and I like the sleeper look. Plus, I dont want to attract more cop attention.

8. Design/ R&D - Both look to be sound and both are from companies who have done this before. There are a few subtle differences. Although I think its an unproven system, on paper, I like the air to water intercooler on the Stillen system and I like that the air charge is cooled right before going into the engine. The GTM system uses a very proven system and the FMIC is probably the most common system used for turbo/SC applications. My last turbo car we put on an aftermarket FMIC so Im familiar with those and I know they are proven....... but on paper I like the Stillen air to water custom manifold and I like the idea of having one less cooler in front of your car to allow airflow to other coolers.

The G37 is a hot engine, and both companies would recommend additional cooling. On my last mazda, I put on auxiliary coolers because the temps were a little hot, even for just driving around town. So engine and tranny coolers I think are a good idea, which take up room in the front. I also think a larger radiatior is a good idea also.

When going FI, when increasing power, you cant just think about power, you need to think what causes and effects adding that power is going to do. Since heat is already an issue, I think adding coolers in the front are must-do-items when going FI, and probably should-do-items for people who keep it stock.

9. Installation - I wouldnt trust my local neighboorhood shop to do this.... so If I happened to be very close to the Stillen or GTM shop, that might sway me one way or the other. But Im outside DC. So thats a moot point. Plus, incase there ever was a problem with the kit, it would be nice to be relatively close to the company who made the kit The costs are going to be similar, but distance would be a factor for me if it was applicable.

Right now, I think both kits look really nice and are very promising and I dont really see anything wrong with both kits. I dont think there is a right and wrong decision, basically what kit fits the individuals needs best.

I think people need to decide what they want in power output, if they plan on expanding in the future, if sound is important, and if under hood looks are important, and then factor in location/customer service/troubleshooting and reliability and then pick the kit that fits their needs the best.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Please point to me where his opinion was voiced inappropriately.
Go back and reread the FI Decision Thread and maybe you'll be refreshed on what I'm referring to. But honestly that's water under the bridge to me at this point. I'm only replying to your post so it doesn't go unanswered.

I think it just shows poor moderation on your part to attack my posts and edit them not only accusing me of flaming but adding your own attacking remarks on top of it. If my post was flaming, what do you call...

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Do nutswingers and fan boys count as a reason for not liking a certian kit?

I am actually serious, one of my biggest reasons for going with Stillen is people like OMG37.
Doesn't really bother me one way or the other, I just find it interesting that you edited my post but not others. I think it's cute too that you do the same thing on the 370Z forums.

I still respect you for your insightful knowledge about our cars...just not your moderation practices and flaming though.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
g37mobbin

1. Performance (HP/TQ data)they are within 10hp among each other
2. Priceit pays to play regardless of what kit you go with
3. Name Brandi like GTM, i give props to both companies for getting this done but i like Vortech over the Rotrex
4. Customer Service/Reputationboth have been well to me..answered any question i threw at them
5. Warranty optionsno comment
6. Reliabilityto early to tell
7. Aesthetics (Looks/Sound)i will be honest here, i am going for the show factor and i dont really care about the OEM look...the sound is of course what you love to hear that you have something under there....for people saying they love the sleeper look...let's be honest you have a SPORTS CAR there is NOTHING sleeper about it
8. Have other parts by company already on cari will be honest here i dont plan to run straight Stillen, if you seen my mods i went stillen first and changed it up...i just plan to have the best parts for my car
9. I didn't know...just went with what others told me! ehh...i asked for opinions and thoughts. I research feedback,opinions and asked local mechanics because this is my first F/I car. As well, i was set on GTM but people taking sides and talking down drove me away
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well said Mobbin!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really was not trying to flame. It is an honest reason for me not going with GTM.

I truely respect GTM as a company and the products they produce. I have been in Christians Stage 2 GTM TT car acouple times and it is quite amazing. But it upsets me to see the street gang following they have. If you like anything besides a GTM product, expect 2-3 people to jump in your thread and talk poorly about whatever it is. This is one of the biggest reasons for me going with Stillen. If you check my past posts, I orginally planned on going with GTM. The attitude from certian people in the GTM and Stillen threads, put a very bad taste in my mouth for the GTM SC.

It is not the sole reason, I am not that dumb of a person.

Performance wise - I like Stillen more due to the ability to upgrade setup easily (up to 17 psi I think) without changing the entire blower.

Looks wise - I like Stillen due to the ability to see the blower, but I like GTM due to the large front mount. This one is a toss up for me.

Company wise - I like both companies and have no worries about custom support from either.

Installation wise - I love the idea that some Infiniti dealerships are actually backing Stillen. But I plan on doing the install myself, so it is not a big point for me.

Price wise - I still have to give this one to Stillen. Yes the GTM kit is cheaper, but the Stillen kit has more R&D cost factored in plus a custom manifold and air/water intercooler. To me, it more than covers the 900 dollar difference. (My SSV manifold on my G35 was 750 dollars and the Cosworth is 1200 dollars)
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by g37mobbin
7. Aesthetics (Looks/Sound)i will be honest here, i am going for the show factor and i dont really care about the OEM look...the sound is of course what you love to hear that you have something under there....for people saying they love the sleeper look...let's be honest you have a SPORTS CAR there is NOTHING sleeper about it
You do, when you smoke that P-car and they give you that "wtf just happened" look.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Looks wise - I like Stillen due to the ability to see the blower, but I like GTM due to the large front mount. This one is a toss up for me.
You could always buy a partial kit from each, and put together your own piping, tune and FMIC.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
You can never have too much cooling can you?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by G37Sam
You can never have too much cooling can you?
I'd love to see a track car with each company's respective setup, but I know that'll never happen. They're ultimately both street use kits. I don't see the heat issues being overcomewith out some serious spending.

GTM and Stillen both have huge clientele, but neither has or sponsors a race car. Redline TA anyone?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
I'd love to see a track car with each company's respective setup, but I know that'll never happen. They're ultimately both street use kits. I don't see the heat issues being overcomewith out some serious spending.

GTM and Stillen both have huge clientele, but neither has or sponsors a race car. Redline TA anyone?
I'll let the cat out of the bag.. a bit.. you will see a STILLEN prepped race car.. details of which I can't divulge..

Would also encourage you to keep an eye on our blog for the official information on our STILLEN Customer Appreciation Weekend on May 8th.. cool stuff coming up.. (involves cars on the track)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
I'll let the cat out of the bag.. a bit.. you will see a STILLEN prepped race car.. details of which I can't divulge..

Would also encourage you to keep an eye on our blog for the official information on our STILLEN Customer Appreciation Weekend on May 8th.. cool stuff coming up.. (involves cars on the track)

Thanks for the heads up. I hope it's red. Red is faster.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Sven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS will be releasing a system soon, find a nice shop and general it yourself, safe way to go. To many agendas out there.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN

This is the kind of stuff I like to see. A company that actually uses their own product.

Quick Reply: Which Supercharger kit would you buy or are you buying?