Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FI Decision Thread

I wanted a thread to discuss the positive and negatives about each of the kits released. I did a quick table.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

It doesn not take into account any supporting modifications. (Exhaust, headers, test pipes, ect)

Other factors that need to be considered are

- Availability
- Customer Support
- Installtion Cost
- Difficutly of Install (if doing DIY)
- Easy of Instructions
- Looks in Engine Bay
- Ability to Upgrade
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome... So based on that chart...

Greddy...Most HP, Most TQ, Least psi (which i imagine more psi greater chance to damage engine long term)

why wouldn't you go with Greddy.... Yea it's slightly more, and maybe i have slight ignorance (based on lack of knowledge) but wouldn't it be worth it in the end?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Greddy is the most expensive, but I am hesitant with them because they are not very customer friendly. I know if I ever have issues I can call GTM or Stillen and get support, not the case with Greddy.
Plus Greddy did not list their supporting mods (I know they have exhaust at a minimum)
Also Greddy's kit is for the 370Z, they have not said if it is compadible with a G37.
Also the 370Z typically will post higher dyno numbers with the same set up than on a G37 (I dunno know why).

Basically I am not even considering Greddy personally.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 03-12-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
jarborn1

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Greddy is the most expensive, but I am hesitant with them because they are not very customer friendly. I know if I ever have issues I can call GTM or Stillen and get support, not the case with Greddy.
Plus Greddy did not list their supporting mods (I know they have exhaust at a minimum)
Also Greddy's kit is for the 370Z, they have not said if it is compadible with a G37.
Also the 370Z typically will post higher dyno numbers than same set up on a G37 (I dunno know why).

Basically I am not even considering Greddy personally.
Lol.. well then there ya have it..

Again, i was going solely based on the chart.. I def didn't know all that...

Thanks man
Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice chart. I'd recommend 2 additional columns. 1) Estimated Install Cost; and 2) Estimated Cost of Additional Accessories needed to complete install
Old 03-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Dieseldoug22

We also have to think of the dyno chart. When does the power kick in. Looking at the dynos of the SC, GTM has the biggest gain quicker. More usable power. On the track driving around at 5-6000 RPM is fine, but normal driving who hangs around the upper RPM's? But I like the R&D that Stillen put into there kit. Better longevity.

Just thought of this though. Having power come in a little later, car is easier to handle under normal driving conditions and less stress on car at lower RPM's, but has the power for when you need it.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
pfizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price per gain

37.81 per hp
56.08 per tq

35.18 per hp
53.71 per tq

46.48 per hp
78.38 per tq

48.00 per hp
77.79 per tq
Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Nice chart. I'd recommend 2 additional columns. 1) Estimated Install Cost; and 2) Estimated Cost of Additional Accessories needed to complete install
1) Really difficult to estimate, can vary a great deal from shop to shop. Best way would be if the companies can get hourly estimates. TT will always cost more than SC though.

2) Both GMT and Stillen are full turn key kits. Nothing else is required. Gauges are optional for every kit and prices vary on what you want. Usually gauges run about 50-60 for regular and 100-120 for digital.
The Greddy kit though is a Tuner kit and will require 600 cc injectors (about 500 dollars), a high flow fuel pump (120 dollars), and ecu tune (500-2000).
Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by pfizzle
Price per gain

37.81 per hp
56.08 per tq

35.18 per hp
53.71 per tq

46.48 per hp
78.38 per tq

48.00 per hp
77.79 per tq
Nice list EXCEPT the first 3 are full turn key kits, the Greddy is a tuner kit. It would need minimum another 1k to get it running.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These numbers that Stillen posted, did they have all stock exhaust parts on the car? Their previous posts on their non-release thread were a dyno of the G37 with a stillen CBE.

GTM didn't post numbers of a G37 with a CBE so we haven't seen figures that are equal.

It's sad that people are jumping all over the Stillen release comparing numbers (and buying based on them) when they aren't apples to apples. But I realize people are going to buy or be swayed to buy for plenty of reasons and you can't teach them all...

Last edited by OMG37; 03-12-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by OMG37
These numbers that Stillen posted, did they have all stock exhaust parts on the car? There previous posts on their non-release thread were a dyno of the G37 with a stillen CBE.

GTM didn't post numbers of a G37 with a CBE so we haven't see figures that are equal.
I believe Stillens car has the Stillen exhaust but I am not 100%, we would need to have it confirmed.

Yes GTM did not have a exhaust on theirs.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 03-12-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Buddy Revell

I believe Stillens car has the Stillen exhaust but I am not 100%, we would need to have it confirmed.

Yes GTM didnt not have a exhaust on theirs.
You're right. It was confirmed on the 370 forum: STILLEN 370Z Supercharger System - Announcement!!! - Page 3 - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
OMG37

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that once GTM does testing with a CBE on the car...the numbers will be either the same or better...in which case the GTM kit will be cheaper with more power.

From all the discussions I've read there is so much arguing and whining over petty stuff and turning positives into negatives and negatives into positives...it's easy to see how the uninformed reader can easily be persuaded one way over another.

I'll just be honest and say that my first impression of both kits is that the GTM looks much nicer. I can't stand the idea of the vortech on top of the engine and if you want to beat it up as a negative...now you have to purchase a shiny new Stillen engine cover to cover it up. FSTB, will that even fit on their design now? I'll bet you $100 they'll come out with a super-cool Stillen one if it doesn't!?!

I've seen some people say they "LOVE" the sound of a vortech...really??? Sound...that's why you would pay $6000 for a supercharger???

I've also seen plenty of discussion about supercharger efficiency...with a lot of whining about having to switch out compressors in the GTM setup. This is a clear example of turning a positive into a negative...the GTM stages are set up as just that...it's an option to get the most out of the kit. I personally think buying a Vortech V-3 and not using it to it's full potential is a freakin' waste of money. But nope, of course, the Stillen fanboys in the other threads have managed to turn that negative into a positive by saying it "allows" them to upgrade later and it would be cheaper. Bullsh*t! Nobody knows how much it will cost to upgrade either kit, so you really can't use that as a positive or negative for either company.

Others talk about the cooling design and how Stillen's must be amazing (because some marketing guys say so) and they took it out to El Whatever-o and raced it around for a day. Well...that's great and all but it's like Sam said a while back...taking it out and doing donuts in the parking lot doesn't prove anything to me. The only way anyone is going to know for sure, is if they were there, they saw how it was tested...they saw the temperatures. So once again, another sales pitch to persuade readers in my opinion.

I'm sure most of the informed readers on this forum, realize who I am and where my car is...but I'm trying to be completely unbias in the opinions I've shared, and hopefully that is reflected when you read this.

I'll go ahead and stop at this point. Hopefully this proves educational to someone.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes GTM didnt not have a exhaust on theirs.
color me confused.

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread