Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
People should read maximum boost by corky bell.
I second that
Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^True, you can install a pressure gauge anywhere you want. The most common is on the manifold, but really no set standard.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

BTW

I am ordering this catch can !!!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James get the GTM kit....enough said.I didnt know you had an old stillen blower on your G.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

My first G35 had a stillen blower.
My second one I did the Venom nitous set up.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 03-25-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
People should read maximum boost by corky bell.

And to add to the where to measure PSI debate above...... depending on where psi is measured, it might not be accurate to compare two systems. 7 psi in one system and 7 psi in another system might not have the same psi charge entering the engine. There can be some losses going through intercoolers.

Im curious to know more about Stillen's air to water intercooler built into the manifold. My first original thought was there doesnt seem to be that much area inside the manifold, so to get sufficient cooling this system might be more of a restriction than the front mounted intercooler in the GTM system...... although water to air has about 4 times the cooling capacity of air to air.

I havent seen a flowchart or diagrams or any good descriptions or pictures of the inside of Stillen's air to water intercooler. Does anyone have them or is this a proprietary design by Stillen and are they keeping them under wraps?
Air-to-water IC (usually incorrectly referred to as a Aftercooler) are more efficient at pulling out heat, but are more prone to heat soak, since most kits are not designed for long pulls and/or long sessions of WOT. A heat exchanger has to be used to keep the water temp down. For short sprints, this is awesome, as you can ice down the AC to cool your charge temperature even more.

Vortech kits often use a air-to-water IC on other cars... but most people running much more than the kit's stock power usually swap out to a air-to-air IC. See their Mustang or S2000 kits for example.

The design remains yet to be proven... only time will tell.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So are you saying for a daily driver air to water is no good?

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
BTW

I am ordering this catch can !!!

why you need this?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by whiddles
So are you saying for a daily driver air to water is no good?
It's perfect for most daily drivers, unless you're doing extended WOT pulls to very illegal speeds. Air-to-water is more compact and more efficient, but there is a limit to the speed at which it can pull heat out of the charge before it gets overwhelmed (just how a air-to-air IC that is too small will get overwhelmed).
Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

roger that
Old 03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
It's perfect for most daily drivers, unless you're doing extended WOT pulls to very illegal speeds. Air-to-water is more compact and more efficient, but there is a limit to the speed at which it can pull heat out of the charge before it gets overwhelmed (just how a air-to-air IC that is too small will get overwhelmed).
I actually want to talk to Stillen about using ethylene glycol/water solution instead. Very high effiency and less chance of being overwhelmed.

(Posted wrong solution before)
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Yeah i just want to have the extra push on highway when a mustang or z06 pull up
Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I actually want to talk to Stillen about using ethylene glycol/water solution instead. Very high effiency and less chance of being overwhelmed.

(Posted wrong solution before)
I'm not that familiar with ethylene glycol, but isn't that antifreeze? It has a higher boiling point than water, but I believe the thermal capacity is lower than water...

I used just distilled water when I had my vortech on the s2k, but if there's a way to improve the system, I'm all for it.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
I'm not that familiar with ethylene glycol, but isn't that antifreeze? It has a higher boiling point than water, but I believe the thermal capacity is lower than water...

I used just distilled water when I had my vortech on the s2k, but if there's a way to improve the system, I'm all for it.
It is basically antifreeze. You can use it in tandem with a glycol cooler. All you really need is a small pump, cooler, and small heat exchanger. The reason the glycol is used is because the temp can drop down to 32 degrees.

I dont know if it is feasible or cost effective at this point. In the beginning, I just plan on using the stock Stillen setup and going from there.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Here is a small one.
Cools it down to -10 degrees celicus.
1360 BTU/hr steady state.

Yes it is not nearly powerful enough to keep it chilled at that temp, but it could help keep the temp down.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I really havent looked much into it. I will install the Stillen setup as is and go from there.

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread