Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG37
You must have not have had a 350Z prior. Regardless, it's your decision no matter what it's based on...I was just curious.
I actually had 2 G35s, one with a stillen blower and one with a Venom nitrous setup.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG37
It's you two arguing over who's right about details related to how forced induction works. This thread is about deciding on the GTM SC system or the Stillen system. Point out to me where your discussion is telling me something that makes one system better than the other and why I should chose it...then I might find it relative. So far all I see is you arguing with Sam. Try to be less of an ahole too.
Part of this thread is to discuss advantages of turbo versus supercharger. And that's exactly what we're discussing. I just want to provide everyone with some information before people jump on the supercharger bandwagon. But this is obviously not okay with you. Who is being the ahole?

In any case, I do not want to start a heated debate with you. You can fill free to skip over our posts. It's a free country and we can express our opinions. So lighten up and have a nice day.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Their conversation is exactly on topic and belongs in this thread.

A little more info on the subject. After head work, it is not uncommon to lose boost pressure. Did the engine lose hp? No, it's just more efficient at getting the air in (and ready for more boost).
Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on your pic. If I was boosting, that's the kit I would pick.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by G37Sam
What I'm saying is simply, there are lots of factors that play a role in the final numbers that you just can't overlook, saying a TT puts down more hp than a SC at the same boost pressure is quite inaccurate
Are you talking about hp to the crank or to the wheels? The dynos I've seen show that TT kits seem to put down more hp to the wheels than SC kits, even when running similar amounts of boost. This seems to be the case for the various forced induction systems on the older VQ35 engines, as well as for our newer VQ37. Can these differences be explained by the parasitic losses associated with superchargers, by the different adiabatic efficiencies of the compressor or compressors used, or both?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Are you talking about hp to the crank or to the wheels? The dynos I've seen show that TT kits seem to put down more hp to the wheels than SC kits, even when running similar amounts of boost. This seems to be the case for the various forced induction systems on the older VQ35 engines, as well as for our newer VQ37. Can these differences be explained by the parasitic losses associated with superchargers, by the different adiabatic efficiencies of the compressor or compressors used, or both?
partially parasitic loss, but more just the fact that two decently sized turbos will flow more air than a single blower will. The mass of the air flowed is what ultimately matters
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by Mike
partially parasitic loss, but more just the fact that two decently sized turbos will flow more air than a single blower will. The mass of the air flowed is what ultimately matters
But since psi is measured in the intake manifold, if the psi the same and the air temperature is the same, aren't they flowing the same amount of air?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
I think installation costs/estimates would still be good information to have. That way, we can figure out an average, and if a local shop is trying to screw ya!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Mike

But since psi is measured in the intake manifold, if the psi the same and the air temperature is the same, aren't they flowing the same amount of air?
If you have a 4 gallon container, and a 8 gallon container, and they both had air of the same psi, and same temperature, do they contain the same amount of air?

Translated to turbo applications, if you have a (theoretical) single 3in diameter charge pipe vs two 3in diameter charge pipes, and they both were flowing the same psi and temperature air, which has more total air mass?

I'm just throwing out numbers for the sake of examples, but I think it'll make it easier to understand.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Buddy Revell

If you have a 4 gallon container, and a 8 gallon container, and they both had air of the same psi, and same temperature, do they contain the same amount of air?

Translated to turbo applications, if you have a (theoretical) single 3in diameter charge pipe vs two 3in diameter charge pipes, and they both were flowing the same psi and temperature air, which has more total air mass?

I'm just throwing out numbers for the sake of examples, but I think it'll make it easier to understand.
But since psi is measured in the intake manifold and not in the piping, you can't really use the straw/coffee stirrer or small container/big container analogies, correct? Same intake manifold = same size container, right?

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 03-24-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Mike

But since psi is measured in the intake manifold and not in the piping, you can't really use the straw/coffee stirrer or small container/big container analogies, correct?
I don't believe any of the manufacturers measured the psi at the intake manifold.

If the psi/temp were identical, then the same tune would work for the different setups.

In the end, mass is the biggest determining factor in how much power is made, followed by temperature. More air mass = more fuel = more power. Lower temperature = potential to advance timing and lean out a/f = more power.

Also, you can get a reliable tune that works day in day out, and a "dyno queen" tune, that makes the highest possible number, with no regard for longevity, so the tune plays a minor role as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Mike

Based on your updated, post, if temperature and pressure were the same within the intake plenum, then yes, power should theoretically be the same. This is where the modified manifold from Stillen becomes a variable, as well as tune. Also, keep in mind that the power delivery of a Rotrex and Paxton blower are different; the Rotrex has a stronger mid powerband, even if the peak power levels are the same.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Buddy Revell

I don't believe any of the manufacturers measured the psi at the intake manifold.
Hmmm...I thought psi was always measured in the intake manifold. Where else do people usually measure it in forced induction applications?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Mike

Hmmm...I thought psi was always measured in the intake manifold. Where else do people usually measure it in forced induction applications?
There's no standard. Some measure it at the charge pipe, some before the IC, some after the IC, some immediately after the turbo.

Numbers will always vary, along with ambient conditions.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:04 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
People should read maximum boost by corky bell.

And to add to the where to measure PSI debate above...... depending on where psi is measured, it might not be accurate to compare two systems. 7 psi in one system and 7 psi in another system might not have the same psi charge entering the engine. There can be some losses going through intercoolers.

Im curious to know more about Stillen's air to water intercooler built into the manifold. My first original thought was there doesnt seem to be that much area inside the manifold, so to get sufficient cooling this system might be more of a restriction than the front mounted intercooler in the GTM system...... although water to air has about 4 times the cooling capacity of air to air.

I havent seen a flowchart or diagrams or any good descriptions or pictures of the inside of Stillen's air to water intercooler. Does anyone have them or is this a proprietary design by Stillen and are they keeping them under wraps?

Last edited by philter25; 03-25-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread