Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Vu37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now its time for you to order it!!!!!!!!. Im ready to take my vacation to install my Gtm kit.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol nice
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vu37
Now its time for you to order it!!!!!!!!. Im ready to take my vacation to install my Gtm kit.
Same here, I am gonna take acouple days off work.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Same here, I am gonna take acouple days off work.
So what made you decide?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mainly the looks and I generally trust Stillen more as a company.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

I'm still in the air. GTMs offer is so good
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Hey stillen and the GTM both use uprev correct
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
Why thank you lol

Exactly, but those don't occur for free do they? Compressors would have to work harder to generate the same hp if your setup is less efficient. Meaning even though you're seeing 6 psi at the manifold, it could be up to 10 psi right at the compressor.

Actually according to your equation, they're inversely proportional

You seem to have ignored a very important factor in that equation, and that is Temperature, PV does not equal to a constant, but rather mRT (and that's assuming 100% Volumetric Efficiency, which we both know is not the case)

Boyle's law only applies when your temperature is kept constant bro

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, P [pressure] and V [volume] are inversely proportional (while one increases, the other decreases).
So what are you saying? That the supercharger is generating hotter air? Firstly, it is a well-known fact that turbocharger blows hotter air because it uses exhaust gas to generate air pressure. Secondly, both systems are intercooled. We know GTM chose sufficient size intercooler for both systems. Also, the dynos were both performed in GTM's facility. It is indoors in a warehouse where temperatures are relatively consistent. So tell me how temperature would be factor?

And how does it matter how much pressure is generated at the compressor? In the end, it is the amount of air and fuel inside the engine that determines how much power is made. At the manifold, right before the entry into the engine, both system has the same amount of air. They should be making the same GHP.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Modme
So what are you saying?
What I'm saying is simply, there are lots of factors that play a role in the final numbers that you just can't overlook, saying a TT puts down more hp than a SC at the same boost pressure is quite inaccurate
Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Sam
What I'm saying is simply, there are lots of factors that play a role in the final numbers that you just can't overlook, saying a TT puts down more hp than a SC at the same boost pressure is quite inaccurate
I did not say anything like that. I've been saying all along, that given the same boost pressure, and similar amounts of air in the engine, both TTed and SCed G37s should be making the same Gross Horsepower. However, where that power is being used differs.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I did not say anything like that. I've been saying all along, that given the same boost pressure, and similar amounts of air in the engine, both TTed and SCed G37s should be making the same Gross Horsepower. However, where that power is being used differs.
You don't have any actual experience with FI do you?

PSI is simply a measurement of pressure. Volume is what ultimately matters.

Take a regular straw and a coffee stirrer. Blow through them as hard as you can. The coffee stirrer has more psi, but the regular straw has more volume. Which would you use to drink a soda with?

The exact same concept applies to FI on an engine. It is very possible to run lower psi and still net more horsepower; volume (technically mass) of the air going into the engine is all that matters, when it comes to producing a raw HP number.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
OMG37

Any chance you two can take this discussion out of here and into your own thread where you two can read through it all and I don't have to filter it just see any updates related to decided on which FI system to go with?
Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Mainly the looks and I generally trust Stillen more as a company.
You must have not have had a 350Z prior. Regardless, it's your decision no matter what it's based on...I was just curious.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by OMG37
Any chance you two can take this discussion out of here and into your own thread where you two can read through it all and I don't have to filter it just see any updates related to decided on which FI system to go with?
Man, youre ridiculous. Our discussion is exactly on topic. I guess you prefer opinions over facts.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 PM
OMG37

Man, youre ridiculous. Our discussion is exactly on topic. I guess you prefer opinions over facts.
It's you two arguing over who's right about details related to how forced induction works. This thread is about deciding on the GTM SC system or the Stillen system. Point out to me where your discussion is telling me something that makes one system better than the other and why I should chose it...then I might find it relative. So far all I see is you arguing with Sam. Try to be less of an ahole too.

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread