Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To me the GTM and Stillen are very close and I dont think you can really go wrong with either. I love the look of the GTM pipes, but I love you can see the charger on the Stillen kit. And their manifold design is pretty unique, also see alot of potential with it.

Stillen does have a much much bigger R&D department and ability do produce parts that are out of GTMs leauge. But GTM has proven themselves time and time again on here with their abilities and products.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just recall seeing thread titles a while back with blown engines. Was that even true? What TT kit was it if it was?

Buddiee, that's a great comparo you've started there. My personal choice would be SC over TT due to it being less expensive and easy to DIY. When you look at the numbers of Stillen and GTM, they're within a row of apple trees. People shouldn't look at the HP and TQ gains and take +10 over the other as fact. They're more likely to be nearly identical.

One question I have for OMG37 is how are the MAS sensors set up on the GTM? Are they before or after the blower?

I do like the all the blog entries showing R&D on the Stillen kit like Doug mentioned earlier. And I think OMG37 is reaching a bit on the negatives on Stillen's overall design. If you're a typical person that wants SC, maybe the clean look of the GTM is for you, but if you want to show your car, the Stillen kit will turn more heads due to the busyness of what's under the hood in plain site. Yes, there are pros and cons to both, but both companies are respectable and typically deliver a sound product.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by finagle69
color me confused.
Did not have an aftermarket exhaust, he means.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
finagle69

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Did not have an aftermarket exhaust, he means.
Oh I get it. Just pointing out the grammatical faux pas.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I just recall seeing thread titles a while back with blown engines. Was that even true? What TT kit was it if it was?
Sadly it is true. It was from AAM. (I didnt add them to the comparison list)

Yes, there are pros and cons to both, but both companies are respectable and typically deliver a sound product.
This is a very big statement. Both are great products from top companies.

I love the show bling of the Stillen kit, and the price of the GTM kit. I am kinda torn.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 03-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:01 PM
finagle69

^exactly. I am almost of the opinion that the showyness of Stillen's plus the R&D that was pumped into it almost makes up for that extra K in the price. I'd definitely send the IC tubes out for PC first though.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

^exactly. I am almost of the opinion that the showyness of Stillen's plus the R&D that was pumped into it almost makes up for that extra K in the price. I'd definitely send the IC tubes out for PC first though.
The custom manifold easily accounts for the money.

Both kits are amazing choices, I dont know which to do.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM
finagle69

You should start by listing your concerns. Then you can see if the pros/cons of one fits better with them.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM
JMacsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you really can't go wrong with either. Although with the Stillen under your hood with an already sexy engine compartment it would be unbelievable.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Buddy Revell

Although not the primary reason why I chose it (performance and price took precedence), I prefer the cleaner, more stealthy look of the GTM kit. The engine bay of the Stillen car right next to the intake manifold looks cluttered/messy to me. The extra $900 I can put toward other mods like a clutch, flywheel, oil cooler, or body kit is also a big deal, imo.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Everyone has different desires.

Looks is one of the biggest factors to me. I do not plan on racing or even really driving it hard. I want a beautiful engine bay that will make people go WOW.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
g37mobbin

i am with whosurbuddiee being torn...after a few chats with friends...i am undeceive about which to go to...now people are telling me to sway to Stillen because of Vortech...i am o_O
Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM
g37mobbin

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Everyone has different desires.

Looks is one of the biggest factors to me. I do not plan on racing or even really driving it hard. I want a beautiful engine bay that will make people go WOW.
just by looks and sounds...gtm is more of the sleeper look with the roterex s/c you really cant hear it....

stillen...obviously you know it is there as soon as you pop the hood with the manifold and long tube across...and you know Vortech has always been loud
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by g37mobbin
just by looks and sounds...gtm is more of the sleeper look with the roterex s/c you really cant hear it....

stillen...obviously you know it is there as soon as you pop the hood with the manifold and long tube across...and you know Vortech has always been loud
Two big points for me as well. You seem to think of the same wavelength as me. But I guess I should expect that from someone with as much cf as you have.

I am thinking with a nice cf engine cover and polished vortech blower, would looks amazing. Then add some nice red flex over the tubes from the intercooler.

But the GTM kit does have a nice sleeper look. Getting everything powdercoated gloss black would be beautiful and match my theme. Also do the front mount in black with GTM in big red letters. Would look mean coming down the road.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by g37mobbin

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of overly loud SC whine. Like the looks of the engine bays, it's a matter of personal preference.

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread