Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
This thread took a bad turn, as I knew it would.

Mods can you please lock it.
What the... don't lock the thread. There is good info in here and more is on the way.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Please see below.

I don't get how you can say "end of story" as if this is fact and the discussion is over and then ask for me to elaborate. I will though.

I (and many others) know you can't say anything bad about GTM on this board or you'll get slammed, edited, banned, harassed, discredited, or more. It's the same with the other forums as well. I have no issues with either company. I have never delt with either company. I do not intend to buy either kit any time soon. What I have done is my research for if I ever am ready. I will continue researching everything I can read and hopefully both units perform great. I've read everything I could on four different forums. It may not be easy to see, but the clues are there that there is more to the stories. If you PM the right guys you can start to fill in holes to some of the stories. Just do your research and try to do your best to add up all the costs.
It seems like you're implying that there are hidden extra costs with GTM's kit and that people are being bullied against discussing anything negative about them on these forums. So instead of stating facts, you're saying there are clues that others have to figure out and that you must PM the right guys to get real info. Without facts, this seems like rumor-spreading and company-bashing to me, IMHO. If you're really convinced about these shady tactics your implying, then your mind should be made up to go with Stillen's product, then, correct?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mikelr
Ivoid,
I too am a bit puzzled by what you are implying about the "hidden costs" involved in installing the GTM kit.
I guess I'm one of the first on board and paid my money for the GTM kit. I am going to be installing it myself and if you like I will do a thread to document the install with a type of photo blog. I will report on how user friendly the kit is to install and we shall see "how much money" I will have to spend above and beyond the $4995 to get the job done.

So Sam, if your reading this....get that kit together and out to me so we can put this to bed.
"And if you like"... are you kidding? That's what I am here for. The install threads are what make the forums. I'm here to see guys wrenching on cars. I'll read every word you put into your install as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
It seems like you're implying that there are hidden extra costs with GTM's kit and that people are being bullied against discussing anything negative about them on these forums. So instead of stating facts, you're saying there are clues that others have to figure out and that you must PM the right guys to get real info. Without facts, this seems like rumor-spreading and company-bashing to me, IMHO. If you're really convinced about these shady tactics your implying, then your mind should be made up to go with Stillen's product, then, correct?
After doing the research I would know going in what to expect. I would also know that I am going to spend more than $5000 to get what I want. I never used "shady tactics", that implies I do not trust GTM and that I think they are underhanded. That is not my opinion.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After doing the research I would know going in what to expect. I would also know that I am going to spend more than $5000 to get what I want. I never used "shady tactics", that implies I do not trust GTM and that I think they are underhanded. That is not my opinion.
Perhaps you did not express yourself clearly, then, because it seems like I'm not the only one who got that impression from your statements.

As for your original response to my post, it seemed like you disputed my statement that there was a $900 difference between the kits that you can use to get supporting mods with. Clarify, please?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I officially announce you myG37's riddler

Doing research is something but trying to solve the puzzles hidden within your posts surely is on another level
Old 03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
As for your original response to my post, it seemed like you disputed my statement that there was a $900 difference between the kits that you can use to get supporting mods with. Clarify, please?
I think the best way to state it, is that neither kit is designed for heavy duty use. They both will work on the street, but as an "off the shelf, bolt on kit", neither are usable for high performance driving by themselves.

1. neither addresses the heat issues the VQ37VHR already has

Advantages of the GTM kit

1. Supererior powerband. The Rotrex blower, due to design, is slightly more efficient, and will result in superior powerband in comparison to a Paxton blower at the same boost level.
2. The Rotrex blower has its own cooler. This is due to design of the blower; it requires its own fluid.
3. The Rotrex is very quiet.

Disadvantages of the GTM kit

1. Rotrex blowers have a short life. 50k miles or less is typical of the design. Refer to Rotrex kits on over vehicles for the blower's record
2. Rotrex fluid must be regularly changed. This is additional maintenence that the owner MUST do.
3. Once a blower is chosen and purchased, there is VERY little overhead for performance gain.

Unaddressed issues of the GMT kit

1. Oil filter is already relocated. Adding oil cooling via sandwich plate may or may not be possible, and may or may not drop oil pressure to dangerous levels. This is unknown.
2. GTM is implying the kit will be CARB, but have yet to formally announce that they have applied for CARB certification
3. Where is the boost level being measured? What is the max RPM of the chosen blower, and how high does the kit spin the blower? What is the potential room for growth?
4. Sam has stated that there is room for expansion with the kit. How much for each respective blower?

Advantages of the Stillen kit

1. Paxton blowers have a proven track record, and are capable of big power. There is a lot of room for additional power with this kit.
2. *potentially* superior intake manifold design. This remains to be seen, and may not be a true advantage.
3. Oil filter relocation is not required. This leaves room for a sandwich plate to be used in conjunction with an oil cooler. In fact, Stillen's car utilizes their coolers.

Disadvantages of the Stillen kit

1. Paxton blowers are loud.
2. Higher cost

Unaddressed issues of the Stillen kit

1. What blower trims are available? Does the kit use a self-lubricated version of the blower or is it sharing oil with the engine? This will affect both maintenance and room for potential power growth.
2. Where is the boost level being measured? What is the max RPM of the chosen blower, and how high does the kit spin the blower? What is the potential room for growth?
3. Is Stillen applying for CARB?

I would appreciate straight answers from Sam and Josh ONLY. As for anyone else, unless you work for GTM or Stillen, I doubt you'd be able to give any factual information, only opinions.

Last edited by Mike; 03-27-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That just leaves everyone else out. but having the same vortec blower on the G35 it is the self-lubricated version. but nice work mike i like what you have put out
Old 03-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
I think the best way to state it, is that neither kit is designed for heavy duty use. They both will work on the street, but as an "off the shelf, bolt on kit", neither are usable for high performance driving by themselves.

1. neither addresses the heat issues the VQ37VHR already has

Advantages of the GTM kit

1. Supererior powerband. The Rotrex blower, due to design, is slightly more efficient, and will result in superior powerband in comparison to a Paxton blower at the same boost level.
2. The Rotrex blower has its own cooler. This is due to design of the blower; it requires its own fluid.
3. The Rotrex is very quiet.

Disadvantages of the GTM kit

1. Rotrex blowers have a short life. 50k miles or less is typical of the design. Refer to Rotrex kits on over vehicles for the blower's record
2. Rotrex fluid must be regularly changed. This is additional maintenence that the owner MUST do.
3. Once a blower is chosen and purchased, there is VERY little overhead for performance gain.

Unaddressed issues of the GMT kit

1. Oil filter is already relocated. Adding oil cooling via sandwich plate may or may not be possible, and may or may not drop oil pressure to dangerous levels. This is unknown.
2. GTM is implying the kit will be CARB, but have yet to formally announce that they have applied for CARB certification
3. Where is the boost level being measured? What is the max RPM of the chosen blower, and how high does the kit spin the blower? What is the potential room for growth?
4. Sam has stated that there is room for expansion with the kit. How much for each respective blower?

Advantages of the Stillen kit

1. Paxton blowers have a proven track record, and are capable of big power. There is a lot of room for additional power with this kit.
2. *potentially* superior intake manifold design. This remains to be seen, and may not be a true advantage.
3. Oil filter relocation is not required. This leaves room for a sandwich plate to be used in conjunction with an oil cooler. In fact, Stillen's car utilizes their coolers.

Disadvantages of the Stillen kit

1. Paxton blowers are loud.
2. Higher cost

Unaddressed issues of the Stillen kit

1. What blower trims are available? Does the kit use a self-lubricated version of the blower or is it sharing oil with the engine? This will affect both maintenance and room for potential power growth.
2. Where is the boost level being measured? What is the max RPM of the chosen blower, and how high does the kit spin the blower? What is the potential room for growth?
3. Is Stillen applying for CARB?

I would appreciate straight answers from Sam and Josh ONLY. As for anyone else, unless you work for GTM or Stillen, I doubt you'd be able to give any factual information, only opinions.

This is the best post I have seen on this thread so far. Subscribed for answers.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM
TJHG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Well done and no slamming either vendor.

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
This is the best post I have seen on this thread so far. Subscribed for answers.