Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

FI Decision Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I know you've been reading all these threads. I'm pretty sure you already know the price for the GTM kit will just get you in the door.
I've been reading all these threads...and know that the price for the GTM stage 1 kit is $900 cheaper than the Stillen kit...end of story.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
If 900 dollars is enough to sway you to buy one kit over another, you really shouldn't be going FI.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we should start a poll on which kit people are buying? i would like to know it may help me go one way or the other.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by Mike
If 900 dollars is enough to sway you to buy one kit over another, you really shouldn't be going FI.
LOL, only true if the less expensive kit sucks. If both are high quality, 900 less is a nice bonus.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
InfiniDrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When both companies have great such products and your an enthusiats who is scrapping together all that you can to reach this next level of FI bliss...seems pretty logical to me.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
OMG37

I'm just interested in Ivoid elaborating on his comment as well.

Price would definitely be a factor in me (and quite a few other people) deciding on an FI choice.

So would...performance, reliability, reputation, aesthetics, and customer service.

Considering the performance data both companies have published...$900 plays a big part in deciding between the two in my opinion.

Hell...i've seen worse...I've read that some people are picking one over the other just based on sound! ha!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by whiddles
we should start a poll on which kit people are buying? i would like to know it may help me go one way or the other.
Done.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ou-buying.html

I thought this would be interesting to see.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by OMG37

Price would definitely be a factor in me (and quite a few other people) deciding on an FI choice.

So would...performance, reliability, reputation, aesthetics, and customer service.

Considering the performance data both companies have published...$900 plays a big part in deciding between the two in my opinion.

Hell...i've seen worse...I've read that some people are picking one over the other just based on sound! ha!
A Paxton blower is MUCH louder than a Rotrex blower. It'll be very obvious if you have the Stillen kit. That could be the sole dealbreaker for some.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
OMG37

Originally Posted by Mike
A Paxton blower is MUCH louder than a Rotrex blower. It'll be very obvious if you have the Stillen kit. That could be the sole dealbreaker for some.
Yah and i'd have to argue that if you were going to spend thousands of dollars on a forced induction system with the biggest factor in your decision being sound...that would be a much easier case to make that you shouldn't be going FI...then pricing.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by whiddles
either way you will pay about $7,500 to $10,000. This will include if you ship the car to gtm or stillen. Im working on a local stillen vendor who said they will charge $1,000 for the whole stillen SC kit plus oil/tranny cooler. Its a steal of a deal for me. But i still my go GTM cause oem look. I'm hoping either way i will not wish i had bought the other kit.
i see u're in tx, right?

i've also asked a dealership here in houston...well clear lake and they actually ordered 3 kits...one to put on their car and 2 to sell...chargin 1200-1500 for labor..they won't know exactly how much until they actually install one on their car
Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 PM
OMG37

GTM kits or Stillen?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Elaborate please.
Please see below.

I've been reading all these threads...and know that the price for the GTM stage 1 kit is $900 cheaper than the Stillen kit...end of story.
I don't get how you can say "end of story" as if this is fact and the discussion is over and then ask for me to elaborate. I will though.

I (and many others) know you can't say anything bad about GTM on this board or you'll get slammed, edited, banned, harassed, discredited, or more. It's the same with the other forums as well. I have no issues with either company. I have never delt with either company. I do not intend to buy either kit any time soon. What I have done is my research for if I ever am ready. I will continue researching everything I can read and hopefully both units perform great. I've read everything I could on four different forums. It may not be easy to see, but the clues are there that there is more to the stories. If you PM the right guys you can start to fill in holes to some of the stories. Just do your research and try to do your best to add up all the costs.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Mike

Yah and i'd have to argue that if you were going to spend thousands of dollars on a forced induction system with the biggest factor in your decision being sound...that would be a much easier case to make that you shouldn't be going FI...then pricing.
You, do not have to deal with California laws

Paxton blower noise is probable cause for a LEO to pull you over. (So is a BOV)
Old 03-27-2010, 12:09 AM
g37mobbin

^damn i cant give you rep points here...an other good reason Ivoid...i know i said before that we dont see eye to eye on some things but i hear the same things as you pointed out
Old 03-27-2010, 12:10 AM
OMG37

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties

I (and many others) know you can't say anything bad about GTM on this board or you'll get slammed, edited, banned, harassed, discredited, or more. It's the same with the other forums as well. I have no issues with either company. I have never delt with either company. I do not intend to buy either kit any time soon. What I have done is my research for if I ever am ready. I will continue researching everything I can read and hopefully both units perform great. I've read everything I could on four different forums. It may not be easy to see, but the clues are there that there is more to the stories. If you PM the right guys you can start to fill in holes to some of the stories. Just do your research and try to do your best to add up all the costs.
I think your problem is that you make statements like that with no evidence to support it. I have no problem reading a post by someone that has something "negative" to say if it's backed by some sort of proof. But since I can easily say that I know more than you can possibly about the SC kit and it's pricing...I have to go with your just putting out garbage propaganda that hopefully people will just ignore.

What is it that you think people will end up spending more for the GTM kit that would negate the $900 price difference, because that's what you are implying. And so far I haven't seen anything that backs that statement up.

This thread is about making an FI decision and as such I hope that information provided in it is valid.

Last edited by OMG37; 03-27-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply: FI Decision Thread