Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Low Speed Bog w/ 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
cdso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Speed Bog w/ 7AT

Does anyone else get tired of the low speed bog on the 7AT? I've noticed I seem to get caught in it a lot more lately. Situations where you're accelerating slowly from a stop or in traffic the 7AT just bogs downs cause you're in a higher gear. I also seem to get this deep groan from the tranny when it bogs. At first I thought the sound was feedback from my sub!

Do you guys experience the same thing with the 7AT? Is it possible there's something wrong with my tranny?

On open roads, the 7AT is a joy cause you can give it enough throttle to accelerate freely, but with traffic and congestion, I'm getting a little tired of the low speed bog!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah this is going to be pretty common. a lot of these 7-8 speed gearboxes have this problem unfortunately. I'm not sure if it's a matter of programming or what.

I mean i wish the programming only stayed 1-5 for below 45mph, and then 6th for over drive and only go to 7th for above 65.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No issue here, but I did get the AT software patch which fixed the 4-3 downshift and also made the 1-2-3 shift much quicker and more seamless.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cdso
Does anyone else get tired of the low speed bog on the 7AT? I've noticed I seem to get caught in it a lot more lately. Situations where you're accelerating slowly from a stop or in traffic the 7AT just bogs downs cause you're in a higher gear. I also seem to get this deep groan from the tranny when it bogs. At first I thought the sound was feedback from my sub!

Do you guys experience the same thing with the 7AT? Is it possible there's something wrong with my tranny?

On open roads, the 7AT is a joy cause you can give it enough throttle to accelerate freely, but with traffic and congestion, I'm getting a little tired of the low speed bog!
Whenever I need to accelerate quickly, I blip the down paddle a couple of times. Works great to get around the AT performance
Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Reno-ID-Doc

From my experience, you will have lesser occurence of "bog" when you put the shifter to DS than in D. It also adds a perception of control due to additional engine brake effect. So far for my city driving & record keeping of fuel economy, using this DS mode in traffic & slow speeds had about a 1-2 miles per gallon difference on my 20 mile round trip commute (mostly city driving) per 10-12 days. So for my opinion, a reasonable trade-off.

I taught my wife this. For her comments, she finds that it does not "gear hunt" in city driving that often.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 AM
rwong410

Yes, I have this problem as well. I just ended up manually shifting my gears. I would still get the bog from DS at times but definitely an improvement from just D.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM
cdso

I hear what you guys are saying. I'm just a little disappointed that on a 40k car, it seems to get caught in the wrong gear when driving in slower city traffic. Coming from an 04 coupe w/ 5AT, I didn't have this problem. I use the paddle shifters more now during my daily commute just to avoid the bog. I wonder if the fx guys have the same issue since it's essentially the same tranny.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
GShadowG37

I notice this too in traffic. I can constantly feel the tranny .
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GShadowG37
I notice this too in traffic. I can constantly feel the tranny .
I feel it as well, especially as you say, in traffic at low speeds. That's when I find myself reaching for the shifter. Usually just putting it in DS mode helps with higher RPM shifts, but sometimes manual mode is ideal. The car is great for quick speed bursts to get around traffic!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
DEC1

+1 on all above...I find it a bit annoying...yes you can do the "work-around" by shifting manually but that's not why I bought an AUTOMATIC!

I'm hoping I notice it less as the novelty of the new car wears off but sometimes things like this just wear on you and you tend to notice it more.

As I mentioned in another post similar to this one... there should be a button or buttons that lock out 6&7th gears.

I think 7 speeds is overkill...too much shifting! this engine would have been perfect with 6 speeds and a nice high ratio 6th that could get good mileage at highway speeds but not be used at anything below 50.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The AT was programmed to get you to 7th as quickly as possible in order to squeeze 27 mpg from a 330 hp engine. There is enough torque to where I never feel a sense of true "bogging". Even locked in 7th, you can get the thing to accelerate if you floor it.

My car only has 600 miles on it, but I've noticed zero bogging. I do notice the transmission going through the gears quickly, but my Lexus did the same thing. It's a trade off between performance and fuel economy.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
sheff

Originally Posted by Silver37
No issue here, but I did get the AT software patch which fixed the 4-3 downshift and also made the 1-2-3 shift much quicker and more seamless.
can you tell us more about the software patch? I haven't heard of that?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdso
I hear what you guys are saying. I'm just a little disappointed that on a 40k car, it seems to get caught in the wrong gear when driving in slower city traffic. Coming from an 04 coupe w/ 5AT, I didn't have this problem. I use the paddle shifters more now during my daily commute just to avoid the bog. I wonder if the fx guys have the same issue since it's essentially the same tranny.
if it did, the FX wouldn't be able to tell cause the car is a lot heavier...
but it's best not to think about it cause it's not just the infiniti 7AT. every 7+AT has this problem. The IS-F has 8 gears and it's much more annoying than this is.

you can two one of two things. a throttle body upgrade or leave it in DS. It sounds like you've got a heavy foot, you might as well leave it in DS cause your fuel eco isn't really going to matter. you don't need to be paddling. DS will be downshift by RPM. even if you're breaking. it's quite a nice feature of the G.

but yeah I'm with you on this one the 7AT is pretty quick according to tests. but I think it's another 2 years before they figure out all the bugs.

I mean the 5AT was a proven system. it really just needed a 6th gear over driver... but 7AT made more sense cause of where the market was heading (MB's fault)... who knows why. I don't think the 7AT provides any more fuel economy over the 5AT to be honest. I mean it's not like the 2009 owners are getting 2-3 mpg better fuel eco than the 5AT owners.

Last edited by mw09g37; 03-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 AM
cdso

Went down to DC tonight. All day today I've been pushing the car thinking that if I get the ecu to learn a different driving pattern, it might get rid of the low speed bog. It seemed to work. Driving around DC in traffic, there was definitely less bog. The 7AT drove much better. That's not to say that it was perfect, but definitely much better. You guys might want to try it.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:37 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The thing is if the ECU is constantly relearning how you drive, what happens when you stop wanting to mash the pedal to get reasonable speeds in city driving? I see toyota camry's passing me up all the time cuz of the lack of torque, and the shift from 1-2...kills me every time! lol

Quick Reply: Low Speed Bog w/ 7AT