Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Low Speed Bog w/ 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mindonmatter
I already drive aggressively, and I have the tickets to prove it
Cheezzee how long have you had the G?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
g37girl66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know if it helps you guy. I went to deal again ,and one service manager suggested me to switch to 93 as I was using 91. He explained that the premium gas provide more power when spuring to the engine so less bogging . I am not sure if he is right , however, after 2 weeks with 93, I would like to say it does not make bogging total go away but helps improve at least 60%

Last edited by g37girl66; 05-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
cdso

I use 93 all the time. If you use less than 91/93 octane, the engine may knock, which will make the ecu retard the timing. The main problem in my mind is that the 7AT when driven mildly will upshift to 6th or 7th gear as quickly as possible. When you're driving 30-35 in full auto and in 6th or 7th gear, it has a tendency to bog.

I rarely ever use full auto anymore...too annoying in traffic.

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Using DS doesn't solve the problem, I've tried. Just because I'm in DS doesn't mean I wouldn't like a QUICK downshift at times. All DS does is keep you at a higher RPM/lower gear. Whether in D or DS, this transmission bogs down at times, giving you a nice 1-2 second delay before downshifting. This delay/bog has caught me off-guard a few times. Imagine hitting the gas, thinking you are about to accelerate quickly so you can merge into traffic, only to go no where. I'm not a nit-picky person, but aside from being annoying, it seems a little dangerous to me. As far as re-writing the tranny code....I would love for that to happen, but that's someone else's job(Infiniti). You seem to be implying that this is normal; I would hope not. My car should downshift when I want it to(whether in D or DS).
A tune helps a lot, there is a 0-60 throttle restriction (apparently) in many vehicles these days, where hesitation is built-in to the ECM and tranny code. It's basically a programmed, non-aggressive throttle tip-in to help the car drive more smoothly. The VVEL engine also does not have a true throttle body, as gasoline intake is managed directly at the cylinders by the injector and valve system. Also, the VVEL ladder takes a wee bit of time to climb into 'high' cam position for aggrressive driving. Last, but not least, the 7AT is programmed for gas savings and will put you in the lowest gear possible in D mode, so often, when your have that throttle hesitation, you also probably a gear or two away from where you need to be. That's also a function of our general lack of low-end torque - cars with low-end torque don't have to worry about being out of gear so much.

Combine all of these things and you get some throttle hesitation in certain gears. My tune, which is pretty good for a canned tune, and not as good as a custom dyno or an uprev, still does and excellent job of getting rid of the throttle hesitation (and adding some low-end torque). It's till there a little, but that's due to the tranny/mechanical things that can't be controlled. But that what I recomend to solve your issue.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 PM
G35Rhino

Using DS doesn't solve the problem, I've tried. Just because I'm in DS doesn't mean I wouldn't like a QUICK downshift at times. All DS does is keep you at a higher RPM/lower gear. Whether in D or DS, this transmission bogs down at times, giving you a nice 1-2 second delay before downshifting. This delay/bog has caught me off-guard a few times. Imagine hitting the gas, thinking you are about to accelerate quickly so you can merge into traffic, only to go no where. I'm not a nit-picky person, but aside from being annoying, it seems a little dangerous to me. As far as re-writing the tranny code....I would love for that to happen, but that's someone else's job(Infiniti). You seem to be implying that this is normal; I would hope not. My car should downshift when I want it to(whether in D or DS).
I've been complaining about this since July when I had my transmission reflashed for the harsh downshift issue. I got my car in Jan-09 and was fine until then (other than harsh downshift). Now I have the nasty flare and a neutered tranny that bogs constantly. It sucks in stop and go traffic on the interstate. Pulling out in front of someone when your car won't downshift will get you killed.

Last edited by G35Rhino; 05-04-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Oggie

I would suggest to try two things - ask dealer to reset the tranny program and clean the throttle bodies. I have tried both and they seemed to help.