Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Oil Cooler kits? help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The theromstatic plate should be calibrated to open at around 185 or so. During normal operation, the cooler will always be in use. The plate is there to help the oil come up to operating temperature faster.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Couple corrections here

We offer two different rent oil cooler kits

GTM Motorsports**ENGINE EXTERNALS**GTM HD OIL COOLER FOR VQ for 380.00

and

GTM Motorsports**ENGINE EXTERNALS**GTM COMPETITION OIL COOLER FOR VQ for 589.00

We are the only company that offers the kit with a thermostatic oil filter adapter, stillen does not ...

Sam
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Originally Posted by gshb
the GTM kit uses a huge 25 row setrab cooler. this by itself costs $230. the cooler in the 370z DIY is a tru-cool product and is much cheaper. the 370z guide is good, but people have been having problems with the socketless hose coming off the fittings and spilling oil. if you were to build a kit similar to stillens, it would cost around $435. ill call stillen and ask if the hose is pressure tested, but the extra $30 is a small price to pay to know the hose is built right.
The problem your bring above was self induced by the installer, he took the hose a part to make the hose shorter and did not have the experience to assemble the fitting properly .

here is the response we made to that thread

Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
When the op called us saying that one of the hoses we supplied with the oil cooler kit has burst, we assumed responsibly and send him a new hose with a return shipping label so we can get the hose back to inspect it . Upon inspecting the hose, we discovered that the hose has been shorten, we order thees lines pre-cut to an exact length. if you shorten the line and you don't have the experience required to reassemble this type of fittings, the line will com apart end of story . and this exactly what happened in the op's case .

The kit is specific to the 370z we don't offer any other kit for any other make, the few inches of extra length that the hoses comes with is to give flexibility to the installer so they can install the cooler anywhere they want and for the extra slack required with the engine torquing.

Sam

Sam
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 AM
jungwoo0622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a extra cooler for my g.
I considered buy a kit from gtm with installation but they charged another $380 for the install
It was lots of money just for the extra cooler so i had to do more research.
After several hours of on the web I found that it was not that hard to install and gtm's kit was not the best quality ---like a hose,connecter.
So i ordered mine one by one and i spent about 380 total.
I know it was same price as gtm but i got the better parts with same money so i am happy with it.
Most difficult thing with installation was taking bumper out and making a hole for the cooler.
Mike's already gave you the link to the 'how to'
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We are the only company that offers the kit with a thermostatic oil filter adapter, stillen does not ...

Sam
Actually that's completely incorrect.. all STILLEN Oil Coolers come with a thermostatic plate.. Perhaps you could refrain from commenting on other kits, and stick to your products.

STILLEN : STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

ill call stillen and ask if the hose is pressure tested, but the extra $30 is a small price to pay to know the hose is built right.
We use Goodridge stainless steel lines.. for exactly that reason. That's all they do, and they do it extremely well. You could cut costs, but then again.. it's your engine oil on the pavement.. and potentially your motor with it..
Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
Actually that's completely incorrect.. all STILLEN Oil Coolers come with a thermostatic plate.. Perhaps you could refrain from commenting on other kits, and stick to your products.

STILLEN : STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit
The picture you have in you web site is for a non thermostatic oil adepter, but if you say your kit does come the it then will just have to take your word for it.

Sam
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

The picture you have in you web site is for a non thermostatic oil adepter, but if you say your kit does come the it then will just have to take your word for it.

Sam
Not a whole lot of difference in the way the adapters look, but yes, our kits ship with a Hayden thermostatic adapter, which begins to open at 160 degrees, and is fully open at 180 degrees.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
Not a whole lot of difference in the way the adapters look, but yes, our kits ship with a Hayden thermostatic adapter, which begins to open at 160 degrees, and is fully open at 180 degrees.
Good to know.

Sam
Old 03-10-2010, 02:14 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
wow....um.....mad props to Stillen AND GTM for their amazing products....

well like i said earlier, i'm still gonna price mine out and see what the total comes to...

and Stillen's comment is very true....not just for an oil cooler, but for any particular part on a car...you get what you pay for...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 AM
gshb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks sam for the update. i knew about that one case where the guy bought the gtm kit and the stainless braided hose exploded. not sure why he would go in and shorten it. there is the more pressing concern about the use of socketless hose that is used by many 370z guys. the DIY guide posted in this thread uses such a hose, made by aeroquip. i think the verdict is still out on why that type of hose failed, but in any case going with a crimped hose (like the stainless braided) is probably the better way to go.

question for all though. whats the best thing to use to wrap the stainless braid hose in areas where if might chaff against the power steering hose or splash guards, or anything else for that matter? electrical tape? duct tape? heatshrink?

Last edited by gshb; 03-10-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
question for all though. whats the best thing to use to wrap the stainless braid hose in areas where if might chaff against the power steering hose or splash guards, or anything else for that matter? electrical tape? duct tape? heatshrink?
i think the best is still to reroute the line so it doesn't touch anything at all...but if it does....heatshrink (the stuff on exhausts) will definitely help...or some sort of high temperature loom that can wrap around the ss line, and zip tie it in place so it doesn't move around...
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 AM
gshb

Originally Posted by gtracing
i think the best is still to reroute the line so it doesn't touch anything at all...but if it does....heatshrink (the stuff on exhausts) will definitely help...or some sort of high temperature loom that can wrap around the ss line, and zip tie it in place so it doesn't move around...
ah yah looms, i forgot about those. and just zip tie on the ends. thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
By heatshrink I am presuming you are meaning some type of header wrap. That would work I suppose. In previous experience, one of the best things I've found for this is to get a larger diameter rubber hose and split it lengthwise, and place it around the hose.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM
DanMardik

Couple corrections here

We offer two different rent oil cooler kits

GTM Motorsports**ENGINE EXTERNALS**GTM HD OIL COOLER FOR VQ for 380.00

and

GTM Motorsports**ENGINE EXTERNALS**GTM COMPETITION OIL COOLER FOR VQ for 589.00

Sam
So what's the difference between your HD kit and the Competition kit?

Based on what I can see the HD kit is a 19Row and the Competition is a 25row?

Quick Reply: Help Oil Cooler kits? help