Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Guess what i was quoted for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by el'ation
So it does makes sense. Nissan's Ester oil is not real Ester oil.
Otherwise, IMO it would be too aggressive for daily drivers.

Just a quick fix to solve the knocking problem that Nissan engines had/have.
Should have the fixed the engine, instead of just covering it with the new oil.
They did fix it -- with an ECM update. What does that even mean, "too aggressive for daily drivers?"
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 AM
flagrant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I payed 80 for mobil one full synthetic and a mobil one filter..
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
They did fix it -- with an ECM update. What does that even mean, "too aggressive for daily drivers?"
He's implying it has no detergents, and is generally a statement used by the uneducated when it comes to oils.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:54 AM
chasemyaccord

Man, I bought a case (6 qt) of M1 5W30 at Costco the other day for $35, but it seems a lot of people on the forum think it's no good. Now that I think about it, I guess it wasn't THAT great of a deal. Anyway, now I'm thinking I should take it back and buy a jug of PP or PU from Walmart...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Man, I bought a case (6 qt) of M1 5W30 at Costco the other day for $35, but it seems a lot of people on the forum think it's no good. Now that I think about it, I guess it wasn't THAT great of a deal. Anyway, now I'm thinking I should take it back and buy a jug of PP or PU from Walmart...

Now that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!...sorry, couldn't resist
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Triple_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I buy 5quart containers at walmart of pennzoil platinum full synthetic for $20. I bring it to dealership and they charge me 20 ish for labor. So for a full synthtic oil change it cost me ~ 40 bucks.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
4wheelkillr

Originally Posted by DashKid
Thank you Mike I been trying to tell this guy this but he just doesn't seem to get it.
Neither one of you get it....the Nissan "ester" oil is not a Group V oil.
It's a group II petroleum base stock with ester additives.

You guys are implying that the Nissan Ester oil, even though it's a Group V ester is perfectly acceptable for daily driving. This is misleading. A true Group V is NOT ideal for daily driving. It may be ok, but it's not "ideal".

The reason that the Nissan "ester" is ok for daily driving is because it's not a true ester; as stated above it's a groupII base stock.

*reference BITOG.com for actual analysis supported by real data and not just typical forum opinion*
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wheelkillr
Neither one of you get it....the Nissan "ester" oil is not a Group V oil.
It's a group II petroleum base stock with ester additives.

You guys are implying that the Nissan Ester oil, even though it's a Group V ester is perfectly acceptable for daily driving. This is misleading. A true Group V is NOT ideal for daily driving. It may be ok, but it's not "ideal".

The reason that the Nissan "ester" is ok for daily driving is because it's not a true ester; as stated above it's a groupII base stock.

*reference BITOG.com for actual analysis supported by real data and not just typical forum opinion*
Reading comprehension fail. If it was ester oil, I'd call it ester oil, not "ester oil" in quotes. You're barking at the wrong tree buddy.

You've trying to say what I've been saying years ago. It's a conventional oil with an additive. It just also "happens" to fix the VVEL tick.

Oh, and since you're so adamant about a Group V oil not being suitable, here's a counter that you won't be able to dispute.

I UOA every change on my engine, diff, and trans, as well as virgin oil. This is a virgin sample of 300V, a Group V oil. It seems to have plenty of detergents that make it suitable for street driving.

You reference BOTIG. I contribute there regularly.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by GT35R
Universal Nissan in SoCal said it would cost me 129 for Synthetic Oil. The most reasonable quote I got so far is 70 dollars.

West Covina Nissan. Ask for Jeff and ask for the forum member deal. I think it's $50. Deal. Done. Sold.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by Triple_X
I buy 5quart containers at walmart of pennzoil platinum full synthetic for $20. I bring it to dealership and they charge me 20 ish for labor. So for a full synthtic oil change it cost me ~ 40 bucks.
I will check my local Walmart later, thanks for the info. $20 a jug would be sweet. Too bad I really doubt my dealership would charge $20 for labor. They were going to charge me $500 for installing springs

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Now that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!...sorry, couldn't resist

Originally Posted by Mike
Reading comprehension fail. If it was ester oil, I'd call it ester oil, not "ester oil" in quotes. You're barking at the wrong tree buddy.

You've trying to say what I've been saying years ago. It's a conventional oil with an additive. It just also "happens" to fix the VVEL tick.

Oh, and since you're so adamant about a Group V oil not being suitable, here's a counter that you won't be able to dispute.

I UOA every change on my engine, diff, and trans, as well as virgin oil. This is a virgin sample of 300V, a Group V oil. It seems to have plenty of detergents that make it suitable for street driving.

Haha, always with the big comeback. Good points though. I don't recall seeing any posts from you saying that the "VVEL fix" oil from Nissan is true ester oil.

The only part of your post that fails is the BOTIG reference. BobOilTheIsGuy.com?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just finished putting in the new pennzoil ultra which has ester. Engine seemed to start up and idle a little smoother. I will be autoXing with this oil and will send it in for a UOA. I will be sure to post results once the time comes.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
4wheelkillr

Originally Posted by Mike

I get it. I see your quotes...but when you say "ester oil" and Group V esters in two sentences in the same post it looks like you're saying that the Nissan "ester" (since we all like quotes so much) is a Group V ester which obviously is not correct....which you obviously know.

Motul is a good oil obviously. I didn't say it wasn't "suitable," unsuitable means you shouldn't use it at all. I just said it's not "ideal" and I stand by that. It would still produce good results in a UOA, it certainly should, but it's not "ideal" <--check out the quotes, for daily street use. Motul and redline and the other true group V esters are "ideally" used in high RPM high heat applications. No matter how you treat your personal car, it's not an "ideal" <--check out the quotes again, oil for every Sam, Jane, and Harry's daily driver. For a DD you're wasting $15/quart (I don't know how much redline or motul is I just made that number up) on oil that you don't "need" for your DD. Where as a typical base III semi-syn would also be "suitable" and because it's a 3rd the price, one would argue, more "ideal."

I think I used up my "quotes" quota for the month.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
krayziejoe

Im scheduled for my first oil change on my 09, and I have no idea what oil to get. The dealer recommends the ester oil, but there's no way im paying 125 for every oil change.

Someone please help me out...what's the best oil to use for everyday driving in the G37x coupe?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just changed to the new pennzoil ultra and so far so good. You can get a 5qt jug at walmart for 28 bucks and it has ester. My car seems to start up and idle a little better now. And i'm not the only one who has said this.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 AM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
I just changed to the new pennzoil ultra and so far so good. You can get a 5qt jug at walmart for 28 bucks and it has ester. My car seems to start up and idle a little better now. And i'm not the only one who has said this.
I was actually looking for PP today but my local Walmart was out of stock. I'm going boarding tomorrow, so I asked if the Walmart on the way has PP, which it does. Didn't ask about PU. So the major difference is the ester additives? And what OCI do you plan on changing at wakeboardr?

Quick Reply: Guess what i was quoted for an oil change?