Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine revved by itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
GianG37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beerme you are 110% right, i could not sgree with you more. it just stinks, you spend so much money a car, honestly if its the idle thatd be great, i just worry if it can lead to something dangerous.infiniti is defnitely going to put ahuge fight butin the end if i believe its trully fixed and it does not do it anymore and does not pose any safety risk, i would not want to change my car. i love the car its perfect for me. most dealers have their finger up their behind and do not know themselves what to do.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I had pretty much the exact same thing with my 09 37x just a few hours ago. Yesterday I installed my Injen SRI and today gave the care a detail. I needed to move the car into the garage due to the sun and when I turned it on the car started revving continuously up to 3K RPMs (I had not taken my foot off of the brake from when I turned it on). I got confused with what was happening so I tapped the accelerator and the car then went back to regular RPMs for idle. I initially thought maybe it had something to do the with SRI from yesterday, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
GianG37x

buffpatel well its great to here that at least many other people are having the same issue. we should all stick together AND THEN INFINITI WILL LISTEN. is it possible if we could all share out information just in case anything happens we can go to infiniti. i would bring your car back to the dealer at once like i did, and PRINTthis forum discussion out and bring to the service manager. where is everyone from who is having this problem...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
GianG37x

hey all. those of you who have experienced this engine revving by itself. please call infiniti consumer affairs and let them know. this is the only way they will listen to us. it is the power of the consumer that will prevail. call them and let them know about the foruim and that other people are experiencing the same problem. let yourself be heard and explain what happened to you. tell them that this is a dangerous problem and IT NEEDS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY or else they will just laugh at us and scoff at the idea of fixing the problem. they do not want to be another toyota so they better get their rear ends moving before its too late. i will let you know.....dealers will do NOTHING to fix the problem. call INFINITI CONSUMER AFFAIRS MONDAY- FRIDAY AT:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through FridaY
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Gobbler Man

Hello All,

I just experienced the engine revving. I have a black 09 G37XS. I have had the car for three weeks. About 700 miles on it. I have been doing the recommended break in period, so the car hardly goes over 4K RPM. I sit in the car for the 30 seconds every time I start it up. Most trips are short 20 miles at the most (ride home from dealer put on about 200). I got the car with around 86 miles.

A little about what happened with the car today. We went for a little longer trip, the temperature was around 50 F. In total, probably 80 miles. Filled the car up because it was running low on gas. Filled with Shell 93. First tank was BP. The car spent about 3 hours in the garage. Was moved shortly so that I could perform an oil change on another car. We took the car to dinner about an hour later. Short 5 mile trip. The temperature was around 35 now.

I pulled into the garage. Put my foot firmly on the brake. Moved the shifter to Park. The RPMs climbed quickly. Seemed to jump about 1.5 K, come down a little, then jumped even more to at least 4.5 K. At this time, I shifted to try and get it to stop. I was worried about the engine. In hindsight, it is under warranty, so I should have let it go. Went to Neutral, but not sure if the shift to R or N caused it to stop.

The car did not lurch or move at all. Just the RPMs going up. I did not feel any forward movement. Of course, my foot was on the break and the car was in park.

I know that this is a lot of information, but I figured I would get an exact recording. Maybe we will see a pattern here. I will be calling Infiniti first thing the business day starts.

Charlie.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope no one was behind you when you shifted from Park past Reverse and into Neutral. You are already in neutral if you are in park, so no reason to do that. Shift to neutral if you are in gear/car is in motion and engine is revving and brakes are not working adequately.

Did you try tapping the accelerator? The brake override for the accelerator obviously wasn't functioning if your foot was already on the brake. Tapping the gas pedal (as buffpatel above did) would likely "reset" the situation. If not, shutting off the car surely would. Don't risk it dropping into reverse or drive again, though. Even if you are nowhere near anything or anyone to hit if the car lurches, it is very hard on the tranny.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM
GianG37x

very good charlie. that was a very detailed description. im glad you ll be calling infiniti because the dealer will find nothing wrong with the car as they have to said to the others in this forum including myself. 1800.662.6200 , as soon as they hear more than one person is having these problems they have to listen. i honestly wish we knew why the car is doing this.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
About two weeks ago, when I stepped on the brake and started the car, the RPM increased quickly to about 3K and climping. After a moment of "what the???!!!", I took my foot of the brake pedal and the RPM dropped to normal. I do not know if I stepped on the gas and brake at the same time, and it is something I need to alert for, but worry if the wife will know what to do.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Gobbler Man

Thanks for the advice on not switching gears out of Park to R or N. Hope I did not do anything permanent. I will go for the car shutdown next time.

I took the car out for a short trip again today. I took careful note of how I was driving the car also. In my previous post, I recall using the Drive sport mode with manual shifting. I never let it go over 4K rpms during the manual shifting. Today, I did not drive in DS mode. Everything else the same. No problems either time I shifted into Park. The next time out, I will try with DS mode and see what happens.

I think that if we can note the driving conditions of when the problem occurs, we might start to recognize a pattern. If that happens, then we will be on nice path to discovery.

I am nowhere close to an Infiniti dealer, so driving to one to get the codes read is something that will be hard to do. I wonder if a Nissan dealer can check the codes for me?

Is there anything specific about calling the Infiniti line that I should know or do?

Last edited by Gobbler Man; 03-07-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: correct wording.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
cdso

Is this just happening to the 7AT guys? I haven't had any issues with my 09, but after reading this it definitely makes me concerned.

For those who's having the issue, have you done any mods to your car? Had any recent TSBs done regarding reflashes?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 PM
GianG37x

def no reflashes done.. no tsb's on the 09 at's. gobbler im almost 99.999999% sure they wont find any codes on the engine revving. when you call the infiniti line, you want to talk to consumer affairs and file a complaint. let them know exactly what happened and that this is a safety issue that needs to be fixed. let them know about all the others that are experiencing the same problem on the forums or else they will just simply say "ive never heard that one before". infiniti needs to be made aware of their problem before its too late.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
GianG37x

hi guys,

So i heard back from my service manager and they have not been able to replicate the problem so they have contacted "factory" and also sent letters / emails i believe to the engineers with the problem i have been having. i have told him that various people on the forums have experienced the same problem so im hoping they actually get down to business. i am hoping i have gotten the ball moving for infiniti to try and figure out what the problem is with this car and hopefully correct it. as to when i am getting my car back, i dont know. they said they will not give me my car back because their primary concern is the customer and if i feel unsafe in it, they dont want me driving it around. but at least i get to drive around a nice blue slate g37x sedan as a loaner. i would highly recommend my dealership. they have done a superb job thus far.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
saparda

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had the saaaaaaaaaaaame problem with my G37s coupe.

suddenly the RPM jumps to 3000 or 4000 RPM!!!! i always thought it's because of my mods BUT i took my car to UpRev to get tuned.

NOW, it's gone and i hope it stays that way cuz seriously it was really scary!!

so my guess is a problem with the ECU since the tuned fixed it.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
GianG37x

o wow saparda.. thats really good then. im glad it got fixed. mine is a lease i cannot touch anything. i am hoping that the engineers can fix this problem for the future. when did you notice that problem and howl ong has it been since ?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM
saparda

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GianG37x
o wow saparda.. thats really good then. im glad it got fixed. mine is a lease i cannot touch anything. i am hoping that the engineers can fix this problem for the future. when did you notice that problem and howl ong has it been since ?
it suddenly happened, and not like after i put the new parts,it was normal , but i found out that it happens ONLY when i change the gearbox from "N" to "D"

i tuned my car more than a month ago and up until now....no issues

Quick Reply: Engine revved by itself