Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine revved by itself

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
mindonmatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had their car increase revs while driving? Increasing your MPH? From what I'm reading, it sounds like it's only happening while in P or N, correct?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
GianG37x

mine has happened in Park and in Drive.. when it happened in drive.. the car did not lurch forward... even though it was in D it felt as if the car was in N. it revved to 1500 and stayed there. it didnt feel like the car was going to move even though it was at 1500 rpms. so infiniti corporate didnt do much.. this woman there named emily she stinks. no help at all. id like to see what she'd do if it was her in the driver's seat.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
buckspa

Post Happened while in Drive Yesterday

I have had my 09 g37xs sedan for about three months. I am used the the transmission being a little rough in shifting, but yesterday I was in drive, headed down a hill (that I drive daily) and my engine rev'd up while I was depressing the brake. The car then down shifted and rev'd back up again. However, I do not believe the car gained any acceleration from the engine ramping up. I did not think much of it, until I just saw these posts.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
GianG37x

hmm its not your rev matching at work?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sounds like a normal dowm shufit to me with it rev matching.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
GianG37x

yeah shumby thats what i think... it rev matchs in D also i believe?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
buckspa

Definitely sure. This was unlike anything I have ever experienced in the car. As I said, it is the same drive I make every day, and the car has never remotely behaved like this.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
GianG37x

the foreman will be driving my car to see if he can "reproduce the problem" , im kinda not optimistic. its so random i duno when it would happen.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
GianG37x

update, dealership called me.. they havent been able to find the problem yet but they are aware that i have contacted consumer affairs and they showed up at the shop. the guy said he will keep my car for the weekend and in the meantime i can hold onto the loaner (g37x). i hope they find something
Old 03-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buckspa
Definitely sure. This was unlike anything I have ever experienced in the car. As I said, it is the same drive I make every day, and the car has never remotely behaved like this.
The car downshifts while going down a hill as part of normal programming. So do many other "advanced" transmission cars available on the market for the past 5 to 7 years.

Downshifting SLOWS the car down, so it is hardly a safety issue. I think some people are confusing rpms increasing with speed increasing. If you shift to a lower gear, at the same speed, the engine turns faster. If your foot is off the accelerator when that happens (manual shift or the tranny does it by itself), the car goes slower than it would if there was not a downshift and the engine remained at lower rpms.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
had a similiar "happening" recently. I drove to work and when i got there i put the car in P and all of a sudden it increased the rpms to 2K and they just sat there. I pressed the brake and nothing happened, when i moved it into R, they dropped to about 1.5K - so that was still high. I put it back in P and shut it off. When i came back to it, turned it on and everything is fine. No issues since. - maybe its like a 1 time thing (hoping..)
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 AM
GianG37x

IgS, i was hoping it was a one time thing with me too but it happened twice so far to me.. 1 day apart. my car has been at the dealership since thursday morning and i was told i wont get an answer back until mon or tues. i hope you have better luck then me. what i want to know is if it is actually dangerous when these revs shoot up and if it can actually enable the car to lurch forward, the first time it happened to me the revs shot up to 1500 rpm buti had my foot on the brake and the car didnt want to seem to lurch forward. what worries me is the second time when i put it into park the rpms increase to 4000 rpms for 2-3 seconds and then went away. it stinks driving this g37x 4 door basic model loaner. i want my car fixed
Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
beerme986

Not sure why people think Infiniti will replace the car if this issue is occurring. It is a ecu/ecm issue and they would fix that at most.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM
GianG37x

beerme, i feel the issue is that infiniti cannot diagnose the problem because the computer itself feels that it is operating normally. if no codes are thrown, the mechanics have nothing to go by. i believe they would have to ship the ecu out to the infiniti engineers to ever even diagnose anything. mechanics can only reflash the ecu / reset it or put an entirely new one. not to mention there are many computers in one car alone. this is what we get for having computers make our day "easier". the only problem is the have to go through this long arduous process to try and find the problem. would you feel safe driving a car that all of a sudden increased rpms on you in any gear without you even pressing the gas pedal?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:40 AM
beerme986

I know what you mean, im just saying Infiniti will not replace your car without a battle (they will say "a fix is in the works" or claiming they cannot reproduce your problem)

If the car is not moving and just the rpm's are jumping then maybe it is the idle control that needs to be looked at? but good luck trying to tell the dealer how to fix something, most think we know nothing about cars.

Quick Reply: Engine revved by itself