Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

My 1st G37 Post- Questions for Seasoned G37 Owners.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
djmorano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My 1st G37 Post- Questions for Seasoned G37 Owners.....

Hey Everyone...

Im joining up on MYg37 after being a devoted moderator on VWVortex and Passat Forums... I also used to be on G35 Forums...

I have had a few VW's I have modified till the turbos blew out and the tranny fell outa the cars. My 2005 G35 had all bolt ons.. Plenum, Intake, Cat-back exhaust, coilovers.. etc.

NOW. my G37S 2008 Black on Black with Decklid spoiler and 19in Sport Wheels..

This car i need to open up. I have an HID bulb upgrade and the Stillen Box intake system.. and thats it.

I NEED your opinions - not to get flamed on this but just list me a quick opinion - Id rather this not turn out a huge discussion and arguement of what is best...

Exhauust Option?-
Thinking Invidia Gemini and Kinetix HFC's? Could i get both for under 900? Also is that setup loud. i LOVE the stock exhaust sound on my G37- don't want it to get much louder on highway or low RPM drone... Idle i don't care about and punching the RPMS is where i want it at a higher decible. > That's what everyone wants right? So should i go with HFC? or Testpipes? Im guessing HFC's... Any Combo of exhaust and hfc's that works well? I HIT somthing and ripped one of my Cats and it is leaking now. The dealership wants to replace with OEM.. I will let them do it then rip it out and replace with a new system... Thanks for the input guys..

Also for the intake should i replace the filters? I put them in over and a half ago... CT winters and sand and salt... or maybe go from the short ram setup of the stillen to a CAI by Injen? or just maybe replace the filters?

What about a ECU reflash or upgrade? Im a VERY familiar with DTm mods for this but with JDM cars- i havent researched at all. I wont be bringing my G37 to a track nor do i want to mess with air and fuel mixtures.. Just want to get some more power and gas mileage out of the care after the mods..

Id like to be under 1500 for the exhaust, hfc, ecu mod?

ANy input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
heff

i personally love the sound of kinetix and gemini!

But u will prolly get a lot of opinions here as a lot of ppl have different ideas of what is best for the car. Talk to the guys at amplified motorsports as they are a bunch of rad dudes that can hook ya up.

Uprev thus far is the best ECU mod. Search Search Search my friend.

And as for Test pipes I find they ruin the sound of the car, but thats just my opinion! The reason for this is i find they make the car too loud and almost raspy. I like the stock sound of the car thus id prolly only get the gemini exhaust wo the kinetix. U will not get much HP from these mods unless you get Uprev. Look for G37SAM's review.

Good luck and Welcome to the community!

edit: heres the link to sams review

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ith-uprev.html

and this aswell will help

http://uprev.com/dealers.php
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
djmorano

If im not doing Headers? Then maybe better to not even touch the cats? My assumption is that if im not tuning the ECU then getting HFCats is pointless. Aren't the Headers and Cats from OEM Flow Matched? Just trying to get some ideas so in the next 2 months I can change all of this and get the car waxed and new rubber...

For tires on the stock 19IN sport rims.. Can we go with a wider tread? I did that on my G35 and it handles twice as good with wider rubber on the oem wheels...??
Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
djmorano

Thanks Heff _

UpRev is now near me at all. any other options from the rest of you guys?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Forget the short ram intakes if you're looking for dyno proven power. So far, Injen CAI and Stillen G3 are very good. i believe the Stillen gives a little more power over the Injen but not that much. Full bolt on will most likely require tune since these cars cannot compensate for that much extra flow. Just check out Sam's dyno graph and see how much he gained after fixing his A/F ratios and timing.

Since you can't go with Uprev, Hypertech has a handheld OBDII programmer that reflashes the stock ECU tune with a different map. It definitely won't give you as much gains as a dyno tune, it fixes your A/F ratios and has adjustable rev limit, speed limit, clear DTC codes, etc. Amplified Motorsports are selling them.