Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

*FIX for high-pitch frequency noise*

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
jux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
BTW, with the new ECM, it drives like crap - total bog down at lower speeds. Can't take it anymore, order the hypertech programmer tonight. Next up - Tannabe full exhaust from the future - I want my 25 lbs of new-found torque.
Uh.. All stock G37 right? I hope you have mods that make it bog. Only because mine is stock and is being dropped off on Thursday.

What exaclty did you guys say to your SA's and the Consumer Affairs people? I got done speaking with CA and he was giving me run around saying that dealer has to diagnose it first.

I was under the impression that CA would know or kind of know the fix for this problem from the first post of this thread. :\

TLDR version
Dropping off on Thursday. Called Consumer Affairs they didn't know about fix and asked that need dealer to diagnose first. Me = lol wtf?
Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
wpr101

Originally Posted by jux
Uh.. All stock G37 right? I hope you have mods that make it bog. Only because mine is stock and is being dropped off on Thursday.

What exaclty did you guys say to your SA's and the Consumer Affairs people? I got done speaking with CA and he was giving me run around saying that dealer has to diagnose it first.

I was under the impression that CA would know or kind of know the fix for this problem from the first post of this thread. :\

TLDR version
Dropping off on Thursday. Called Consumer Affairs they didn't know about fix and asked that need dealer to diagnose first. Me = lol wtf?
What they told me what that unless the techs can hear it they aren't supposed to do anything for it.

By the way, I just realized today you can hear it in neutral. Just rev the engine slightly and you should hear it. If a person cannot hear the noise from that, they won't hear it driving.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Mines all stock. It is driving like an unlearned ECM at this point. Btw, I am now getting the service engine soon light as well - beerme, how did this get resolved ? Dealer? Reset procedure?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
wpr101

Mines all stock. It is driving like an unlearned ECM at this point. Btw, I am now getting the service engine soon light as well - beerme, how did this get resolved ? Dealer? Reset procedure?
You already had the fix applied with a new ECM?

Can someone detail exactly what happened to have it fixed?

This problem is driving me crazy. I get a headache half the time I drive the car. Yet over half the people I've shown it to can hear nothing. However, I've had 4 people say they can clearly hear it and how annoying it is. I just don't get how some people cannot possibly hear it?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wpr101
You already had the fix applied with a new ECM?

Can someone detail exactly what happened to have it fixed?

This problem is driving me crazy. I get a headache half the time I drive the car. Yet over half the people I've shown it to can hear nothing. However, I've had 4 people say they can clearly hear it and how annoying it is. I just don't get how some people cannot possibly hear it?
Infiniti tech service in Smyrna is perfectly aware of the noise problem, and this is the adopted fix. Just take it to the dealer, and have one of the younger techs ride around with you - he/she should be able to hear the noise, no problem - mine did, and it was no problem to get a diagnosis; however, none of the older guys could hear it - they'd already suffered too much hearing loss at that frequency (10k).
Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

on the bog note - it's just that boggy 7At, and mine is extra boggy - was that way before, and is that way now even more so, for whatever reason. My they incorrectly applied a tranny tune - when I told the service guy about it, he siad he knew what I was talking about, but when I received the paperwork back it said that the customer complained the car had an acceleration surge problem!! lol lol! Why can't the service managers be car guys, ever?

Anyway, they drove me a loaner, dropped it off and took mine away again....it's 2008 G35 5AT this time, and that thing is really responsive! Way more responsive than my G37, although theoretically slower - I'll have to dynolicious it tonight and see what happens. I will freak out if this beat to hell G35 loaner is faster than my G!! It will be trade-in time, seriously. I will be moving back to 8 cylinders....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
headup

My service engine light came on right after I got my ECM replaced too. I drove around with that light on for about a month before I took it back in. They just did a reset and it hasn't come back on yet *knock on wood*. (I think someone else on here was having issues with theirs coming back on after multiple resets.) They didn't actually address the problem (something about "relearn idle air"...) because it has to be done cold and i didn't have time to wait. But it does seem like my car has been driving different after I got my ECM replaced. Maybe it is just psychological though. I'm just happy the noise hasn't come back yet.

To the person having problems with their dealership not acknowledging the noise: My advice is just be persistent. The first time I brought my car in, no one could hear the noise either. Frustrated, I went home and called Infiniti Consumer Affairs. One of the managers of my dealership then called me the next day and asked me to bring my car back in. It helped me to have an example of what the noise sounded like because they are not going to know what to listen for. (Someone posted a clip of a similar noise in another thread on here. Maybe you can play that for them.) And definitely ask to get the youngest service tech to take a listen. The older guys aren't going to hear it.

Good luck!!

Anyway, they drove me a loaner, dropped it off and took mine away again....it's 2008 G35 5AT this time, and that thing is really responsive! Way more responsive than my G37, although theoretically slower - I'll have to dynolicious it tonight and see what happens. I will freak out if this beat to hell G35 loaner is faster than my G!! It will be trade-in time, seriously. I will be moving back to 8 cylinders....
Yes! I noticed the nasty G35 loaner I had was waaay more responsive than my G37 as well! I almost gave myself whiplash a couple times because it seemed like the loaner was significantly faster off the start than my car.

Last edited by headup; 04-14-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
think I am the first guy that had this fix done and got this service engine light too. I have done everything under the sun to try and get this light to go away but a reflash needs to be done; which conventiently is not out yet. my dealer did perform a idle air relearn and said they have other cars with the same issue. trust me, I will be the first to post when their is a fix out for this.

to those that are getting the run around from the dealer about this noise, call consumer affairs and then their regional rep will call you back. they should all be well aware of this issue.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 PM
wpr101

Just take it to the dealer, and have one of the younger techs ride around with you - he/she should be able to hear the noise, no problem - mine did, and it was no problem to get a diagnosis; however, none of the older guys could hear it - they'd already suffered too much hearing loss at that frequency (10k).
I road around with 2 different guys, neither of them was over 45, and neither could hear it. I'm 25, and the sound is piercing to me. I can barely drive the damn car without getting a headache.

The problem is nobody at my dealership can hear it, so they said if they replace anything, how will they know if they fixed it? Atleast my service tech ordered a new ECM (or is it ECU?) and said they would attempt a fix.

I'm baffled how the dealerships claim they are unaware of any problem. My dealership said they haven't had a single other person complain about this problem.

I'm calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs tommorow and I'm going to make sure they give proper instructions to my dealership on how to fix this.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 PM
wpr101

Originally Posted by headup
Someone posted a clip of a similar noise in another thread on here. Maybe you can play that for them.
Do you have a link for this? I could really use this.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:09 PM
chie888
Registered Member

I been following this issue on this forums for months and everyone has pointed to the ecm... I took mine in 3 days ago and they diagnoise it as the AC compressor and changed it (they said it was feeding back into the car). They claim that is was the first that they have heard/seen this issue and they had a bunch of people to look at it... At least they admit that there is a noise and I dont have to fight that battle but I will see how it goes when i pick it up tmr

btw , i had the pleasure of driving a 08 EX35, that car seemed more fun than the G
Old 04-15-2010, 06:20 PM
wpr101

For anyone who has had this problem for awhile, did the sound end up getting louder over time? Mine seems a little bit louder than it was 2 weeks ago, but mine only showed up recently.

I can't stand driving at all now, and only drive out of necessity. This is so frustrating.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:07 PM
bosssho

[quote=beerme986;2890263]DO NOT mention you saw a fix for this on the forums yet, dealers seem to hate that and will call you crazy saying 'just cause you read about the problem doesnt mean you have it'. The tricky part is to get the dealer to acknowledge the noise.quote]

That is CLASSIC...So true too...I lol right to my dealer's face when they $hit all over anything I mention via Driver or MyG37...it's so funny.

I hope this is not an issue with the 2010s...
Old 04-17-2010, 01:57 PM
chie888
Registered Member

I got my car back from the dealer with a new air compressor, not surprisingly the high pitch noise still exist. I guess I was lucky that they heard an unusual noise from the AC compressor and decided to change it. But back to the story, the service rep was excited to show me the car until I told him the noise still exist. He could not hear it and was genuinesly amazed, he called a younger service rep who heard it instantly! The tech manger was called over and he could not hear it either, but he decided to call a Nissan/Infiniti Service Engineer (??) who was in the area to come and talk to me. I provided my details and when/how often I heard the noise. The SE admitted that he could not hear the noise either but said there has been many reports of the issue. He told us that the problem was an issue with the capacitator in the ecm and it would need to be replace accordingly with a newer model one.

Some people really can't hear this noise, so its frustrating on us and them. I guess the best thing to do is to cooperative instead of combative in this situation.

I'm happy that they are taking steps to fix the problem, its such a stupid problem/mistake that really hampered the enjoyability of the car. I was almost thinking "never again will i get another infiniti/nissan"
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Suzi-Q

I have a 2009 g37 coupe, had the ECM replaced yesterday. I can still hear it although it definitely isn't as loud. I'm going to drive it this weekend and see if I can live with it. If music is on at a normal level I can't hear it. We'll see if it gets louder. They gave me a 2008 EX35 loaner--fun to drive, but I could hear it in that car as well. Pretty annoying. If I were a BMW dealer, I'd be all over this.

Quick Reply: *FIX for high-pitch frequency noise*