Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Throwout Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:27 AM
digitaldistorte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throwout Bearing Issue

So i'm the 2nd owner of a 2008 G37S 6MT in OB. Bought it over the weekend, so i've put all of 70 miles on it...rolled the 25k'th mile.

So, anyway when i was sitting in traffic i noticed that the car makes a strange vibrating sound with the clutch in, but said sound goes away when the clutch is out. I'm wondering if the throwout bearing is doing something strange and wonderful? I can tell that even when the car is in gear, the noise is still happening.

Is this a known issue for anyone?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
stevelam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my vert 09 makes a wierd chattering sound but the dealer told me its only when the clutch is hot..
i dunno my clutch also lets out at the very top.. does yours?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2008 G37s 6mt. It made a chattering noise while the clutch was in and when it was out it didn't do it. I also had a whining noise from 1st-4th gear that would pitch up if I just slightly touch the gas pedal to keep the car going (and while reving it almost sounded like I had a SC).I took it to the delearship and they said it was the throw out bearing. I took it in for service to get this replaced under warranty and they called me saying they had to replace the tranny cause I had a slightly bent input/output shaft or something like that. Anyway I got a new tranny and it stopped doing the chattering noise, the whining noise and now it shifts really smooth!!! Before I had a hard time trying to get into 2nd gear. I hope this helps. It seems like you have the same conditions I had.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The chatter sound is normal for 6mt Gs. Don't know why, but it was a problem on the first gen g's too.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
kevmi2ca

MY 03 and now my 09 does the exact same thing. In fact, almost every manual tranny car I've ever known made TO bearing noises. Just as a reference, my 03 clutch lasted 130,000 miles on the same TO bearing!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Before getting the Tranny replaced the chattering noise in my car was very excesive. I know they do sound but mine was significantly higher than other G's... Compared to what I had I would say mine is completely quiet now.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
digitaldistorte

Originally Posted by GPR-37s
Before getting the Tranny replaced the chattering noise in my car was very excesive. I know they do sound but mine was significantly higher than other G's... Compared to what I had I would say mine is completely quiet now.
I had mine sit next to a G37 of the exact same spec (literally...black/black, 08, 25k miles, 6speed...it is literally the twin of a buddies car) and he's like...uh yeah, that's not normal. I was planning on taking it in regardless. It's noticeable during when sitting idle in neutral and when it's in gear.

Also, I've noticed the parking brake requires that you crank it up REALLY high to actuate - might have them adjust that, too.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
ProstylezG37

I had that whining noise also..dealership replaced my whole tranny. I think with something different .whining noise is gone..but clutch still drives like **** haha. .can't wait to blow it and get something better...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
ProstylezG37

Originally Posted by digitaldistorte
I had mine sit next to a G37 of the exact same spec (literally...black/black, 08, 25k miles, 6speed...it is literally the twin of a buddies car) and he's like...uh yeah, that's not normal. I was planning on taking it in regardless. It's noticeable during when sitting idle in neutral and when it's in gear.

Also, I've noticed the parking brake requires that you crank it up REALLY high to actuate - might have them adjust that, too.
Oh that's what I need to do next..feels like I'm bout to pull the lever off...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM
ProstylezG37

I had that whining noise also..dealership replaced my whole tranny. I think with something different .whining noise is gone..but clutch still drives like **** haha. .can't wait to blow it and get something better...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Sounds exactly like what I had on mine. Good luck hope the get it fixed.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep normal... I've got it too. But the whining I don't have.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 PM
digitaldistorte

Results are in --

Dealership is replacing the transmission under warranty. They said it sounded a bit like a supercharger whine as well...the cars original in service date was Aug '07, so i'm wondering if the original's are bad trannies. Does the 370 use the same tranny? Any known issues there?

They didn't troubleshoot the transmission itself - they send it back to Infiniti to let them screw with it, so i'm not sure what's actually wrong with it.

Also, they said something about a loud jingling sound on cold start - evidently the welds in the sport exhaust baffles on the original runs aren't done right, so they're replcing the muffler, too. They cold started it, so I never noticed it when I bought it. Anyone know if thats a TSB?

They're giving me a new key fob & replacing the battery in the existing one. Trying to get them to toss in some illuminated door sills (the ONE option it didn't have!) + install for my trouble...

Looks like I get to deal with the G37x sedan loaner

Will keep this thread posted as I know more!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

My in service date was Nov 07. The exhaust issue has a TSB check the PDF attachment. Glad they replaced your tranny. When I got mine replaced it was a huge difference.

Results are in --

Dealership is replacing the transmission under warranty. They said it sounded a bit like a supercharger whine as well...the cars original in service date was Aug '07, so i'm wondering if the original's are bad trannies. Does the 370 use the same tranny? Any known issues there?

They didn't troubleshoot the transmission itself - they send it back to Infiniti to let them screw with it, so i'm not sure what's actually wrong with it.

Also, they said something about a loud jingling sound on cold start - evidently the welds in the sport exhaust baffles on the original runs aren't done right, so they're replcing the muffler, too. They cold started it, so I never noticed it when I bought it. Anyone know if thats a TSB?

They're giving me a new key fob & replacing the battery in the existing one. Trying to get them to toss in some illuminated door sills (the ONE option it didn't have!) + install for my trouble...

Looks like I get to deal with the G37x sedan loaner

Will keep this thread posted as I know more!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ITB08-023.pdf (44.4 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Notstolen

Throwout bearings (when needing to be replaced) make a grinding/whining noise when the clutch is out, and stop when you push the clutch in.

Looks like Infiniti is taking care of you!!

Quick Reply: Throwout Bearing Issue