Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

How to properly use the Sports Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Gazan37
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I just can't get over the lag in the shifts, maybe a grounding kit can improve the timing.
Grounding kits help but I've heard great things about the GTM Valve body upgrade. A couple people have them and say it shifts almost like a Dual clutch
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrady3324
Can someone explain to me the downshifting concept? If I wanted to blow by someone, I would downshift and then what?
Just press the accelerator pedal down and the transmission will down shift. You can also downshift via the paddles on the steering column but it's the same thing.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Arvig

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
I actually never use the shifter because it is the opposite of any other car I owned. In the G you have to push up to goto the higher gear and down to goto a lower gear. My natural reaction is the opposite after having 4 cars being opposite of the G.

USE THE PADDLES!
What's funny is that my car before this also had "up for higher gear, down for lower gear" so it seems natural to me. But I think they have yet to really come up with an industry standard on such.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwang
While in D mode, you can downshift using the paddles (it'll be in D[M] mode) and when you want to go back into D mode, just hold the up-shift paddle for about 2 seconds and it'll go back into D mode.

The car will also go back into D mode from the downshifts when you stop the car; i.e. downshift to a right turn on a red light.

I also noticed the car will go back into D mode after cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear for 3-4 seconds.
Yes, how the heck do you get the car to stop shifting back to D so quickly after you have activated manual mode by hitting the right paddle? It is literally only 4 or 5 seconds making the whole exercise useless and ridiculous. If you use DS, it requires moving the shift lever first (stupid) and it auto downshifts to 5th (also stupid). I thought that activating manual mode with the paddle would be the sensible solution, but it is useless if it goes back to D regardless of what you are doing in only a few seconds. Can that delay be lengthened or turned off via the dealer's computer settings?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Yes, how the heck do you get the car to stop shifting back to D so quickly after you have activated manual mode by hitting the right paddle? It is literally only 4 or 5 seconds making the whole exercise useless and ridiculous. If you use DS, it requires moving the shift lever first (stupid) and it auto downshifts to 5th (also stupid). I thought that activating manual mode with the paddle would be the sensible solution, but it is useless if it goes back to D regardless of what you are doing in only a few seconds. Can that delay be lengthened or turned off via the dealer's computer settings?
I think that's the whole point. Downshift rev matching. Once Infiniti had that it really limits your control. It would be great to get rid of or disable that however. +1
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
I can only answer for non-sport sedan (as that's what I have), and yes, you would either have to upshift or push the lever into D.

I think on sport models, if you just downshift using the paddles it will revert back to D after a couple seconds. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS! Someone who actually owns a sport should answer that.
you are correct. The paddles are for quick down shifts to pass.
ds mode is for the twisties,when you wanna hold a gear. It will hang in the 5 to 7k range,to keep you from upsetting the cars balance in a turn. Last thing you wamt is an up shift at the wrong time. If you use the paddles it only goes back to d,if you stop o slow down suddenly.
if your on the throttle I'd say half way it will not jump right back to d. Only once your cruising at a set speed,or stop.try it out,it's a learning experience.the car is only weak on bottom end.we all know wind her up to that 7500rpm redline.from 5k up it's music to my ears.

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 01-22-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Kwang

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Maybe it depends on the situation. I would downshift to make a u-turn on my way to work every morning and would end up being on 2nd as I turn. While accelerating after the turn, I would shift up with the paddle and will be in 3rd or 4th and will downshift again in order to make a right turn. Shift up again to get to a light and wait for a green.

I'm guessing that if you are driving aggressively, then it will not automatically return to D[Automatic] mode.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 AM
JonfromCB

Geeze Louise, this is halarious! 2 pages/21 posts of guys explaining to other guys
the "proper way" to put your foot on the correct pedal and upshift or downshift
with the shift lever or the paddles if you have them. If it's rocket-science for
you, you probably shouldn't have a driver's license.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Geeze Louise, this is halarious! 2 pages/21 posts of guys explaining to other guys
the "proper way" to put your foot on the correct pedal and upshift or downshift
with the shift lever or the paddles if you have them. If it's rocket-science for
you, you probably shouldn't have a driver's license.
You know what's HILARIOUS? You coming into this thread, where we're trying to help someone enjoy their car a little more, and the best piece of advice you have is, well none. Thanks for the threadcrapping.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
jbrady3324

Originally Posted by crazjayz
You know what's HILARIOUS? You coming into this thread, where we're trying to help someone enjoy their car a little more, and the best piece of advice you have is, well none. Thanks for the threadcrapping.
+1

I asked the question because I have never owned a manual car or a car with a Sports Shifter. I thought it would be smart to ask the question rather than trying it out myself and potentially screwing the car up somehow.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by jbrady3324
+1

I asked the question because I have never owned a manual car or a car with a Sports Shifter. I thought it would be smart to ask the question rather than trying it out myself and potentially screwing the car up somehow.

Thanks for the responses.
Owners Manual pages 5-12 to 5-15....very thorough....even I
understand it.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 AM
redfoster

Originally Posted by Kwang
While in D mode, you can downshift using the paddles (it'll be in D[M] mode) and when you want to go back into D mode, just hold the up-shift paddle for about 2 seconds and it'll go back into D mode.

The car will also go back into D mode from the downshifts when you stop the car; i.e. downshift to a right turn on a red light.

I also noticed the car will go back into D mode after cruising in 2nd or 3rd gear for 3-4 seconds.
It will go back to D from any gear after a few seconds of cruising. Once it thinks your done having fun it'll take it back to D.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM
jbrady3324

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
Owners Manual pages 5-12 to 5-15....very thorough....even I
understand it.
I did consult the manual, but I still wanted to ask a real living person.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
don't take it personal.you had a valid question.my friend a 99 chrysler 300m.he loant it to his mom,she accidentally drove it around in 1st gear.she put the car in tiptronic mode and didn't know it.she had it towed to the dealer.your salesman should have explained how to use them.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Tweakfreak

My last car was a '99 GTP and I had an aftermarket computer that did what we called "skip shifts" when WOT.

Basicly cruising in 4 it would drop you to 2nd and cruising in 3rd it would drop you to 1st (if you were in the sweet spot where you COULD drop 2 wihout over reving)

So I like to use the paddle and give a nice DOUBLE tap on ol' lefty.

When you pass like that you only need to go about 3/4 throttle and the car screams to life.

I usually maualy shift up into 4th and 5th but Im guessing it would probably hold you at the max rpm or shift on its own.

If you try this and your not real "comfortable" with the whole DS mode thing, be ready to shift back up into 4 pretty quick. You only spend about a second in 3rd before you need to upshift. (but its fun)

And try it at a lower speed (say when your in 5th but at the low end of it, like cruising at 40) dont try it when your on the freeway doing 85.

Quick Reply: How to properly use the Sports Shifter?