Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help UGH!! Berks. :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by akuma_83
Hopefully you find the problem and get it fixed... it sounds pretty bad... any CEL ? could be a bad O2 sensor or maybe twisted wires on the O2, cause my car had a bad stalll when I first put my BERKS in and I damaged 2 O2 sensors (please dont ask, I know I put the suckers in right, bad luck I guess?) I took it to the dealer and they replaced the o2's under warranty ! should check it out... but first do the ECM reset, it was a PITA at first and should take a coupe of tries...

the only problem I have with the BERKS HFC is that it makes the stock exhaust sound like a fart can when you accelerate and when it shifts into next gear (5AT). Anyone else with this kinda ordeal ? was thinking of header wrapping should fix this problem ?

Anyway, just waiting for the my ARK exhaust to help clear this fart can problem up !
your dealership replaced the o2 sensors under warranty? they didn't say anything about your HFC's or questioned the HFC's? the o2 sensors are very delicate...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by akuma_83
Hopefully you find the problem and get it fixed... it sounds pretty bad... any CEL ? could be a bad O2 sensor or maybe twisted wires on the O2, cause my car had a bad stalll when I first put my BERKS in and I damaged 2 O2 sensors (please dont ask, I know I put the suckers in right, bad luck I guess?) I took it to the dealer and they replaced the o2's under warranty ! should check it out... but first do the ECM reset, it was a PITA at first and should take a coupe of tries...

the only problem I have with the BERKS HFC is that it makes the stock exhaust sound like a fart can when you accelerate and when it shifts into next gear (5AT). Anyone else with this kinda ordeal ? was thinking of header wrapping should fix this problem ?

Anyway, just waiting for the my ARK exhaust to help clear this fart can problem up !
I'm definlty gonna try the ECU reset tonight( Pedal) I did this on my 6th gen Max after my Nismo intake install.. Anyway I watch the install pretty close and the wires are not crossed.If there where one in the manifold that was damaged( Vibration) would'nt I have a CEL? +1000 for your dealer where are they so I can go to.. LOL
Mine under WOT sounds GREAT listened to wife drive away after dropping me at the bus stop... 5spd Auto also..

Last edited by ANMVQ; 01-04-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
did the shop who installed the HFC's use an impact wrench or use a hammer on the bolts?
I've seen the same issue happen to quite a few G's now and the reason was because the O2 sensors were damaged from installation.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Yes the did use an impact gun, But the sprayed everthing with PB blcast and the bolt's came off pretty easy no long periods of time with the gun. They use to get them lose than used their hands. Can I have a damaged 02 in the manifold with out a CEL?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Just thinking if the car was running lean would I have a burning rubber smell after driving it hrad.. a Few time the past week I have gotten on the car an right after I get a burning rubber smell, This was prior to the HFC's.. I hope it not the rings.. Car only has 16k on it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
did they use any sealant other than the regular exhaust gaskets during installation?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Yea the used the gaskets that came with it, and new gaskets they had at the shop. No sealant.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Not bit@h but I just sent 30 mins in my car trying to do the pedal reset..NO LUCK the FN CEL stops blinking before the 10 sec wait after step 4 CEL is blinking,Step 5 says wait 10 sec..Cant CEL stops before 10 Secs.. :/
Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
ufo
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it does take a little practice to get the hang of the ECU reset. I thought they were BSing me at first, laughing their a$$es off while I'm sitting in there pumping the pedal, counting, punching the ON button, etc like some some spazzed out clown car driver. But it does work.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got it on my 3rd try
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I got it on my 3rd try

I wish. .LOL damn light kept stopping before 10 sec's. I will try again tonight. God I hope I get it..
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

ok did it this am an looked like there was a code in there, 1800??? Is that even a code?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
akuma_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up good luck...

Originally Posted by aliiin
your dealership replaced the o2 sensors under warranty? they didn't say anything about your HFC's or questioned the HFC's? the o2 sensors are very delicate...
Yup the did replace it under warranty... no questions asked... they are pretty cool out here in Guam not to mention I know some of the techs... but you may have damaged one of the o2's with the use of the impact gun, just the little vibrations alone could of caused it...

BTW, not sure what fail code 1800 is ? but maybe you can try bringing the car to the dealer and make up some BS excuse to have them look into it ? maybe pop in for an oil change and mention you saw a "light" come on... hope this helps bro, good luck !
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

OK guys well finally reset the ECU and still does it, UG.. So I called Berks. Man I can't believe Brian still remembers me and the car!!!!! WOW.. Anyway he is sending me their non fouler fix to see it that helps.. All I can say is SUPER A+++ customer service, Great guy..

Thanx Brian.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a CEL with my berks and have spent the last 2 weeks driving the car every day with a mix of WOT and putting around in traffic and I don't have any of these issues that you are describing (definitely don't have any kind of fart can sound). Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see what the problem is.

Quick Reply: Help UGH!! Berks. :(