Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM G37 SC Teaser Pix !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifted from some Mustang forum:
While boost threshold is in higher rpm on a centri, there is no lag. Lag is the amount of time it takes from when you push the gas petal till you see boost & can only be measured above boost threshold (which on alot of centri's is around 3k). Turbo's lag because the impeller isn't at the desired speed due to little exhaust gasses to spin the turbo to higher rpm so no boost is available before the throttle plate when it opens, the centri on the other hand is spinning at a constant rpm so when the throttle plate opens, there is positive pressure there (again providing above boost threshold).
So no, no lag.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:07 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, no lag.... But it is very linear. Boost is strictly a by-product of engine RPM's. As RPM's go up, the belts and traction/gear mechanism spin faster, and thus the compressor wheel spins faster creating more boost. Peak boost is at peak RPM; there is no sudden rush of power like when boost kicks in on a turbo charger. The advantage is that it is easier to control, and even at very low engine RPM's you are creating some small amount of boost. A lot of road racers prefer this type of S/C due to its linear response.

One other thing to note is that centrifugal S/C do not typically produce the torque that a roots-type S/C or turbo can produce. The traction drive on the Rotex helps with this, but it still lacks a little in the torque department. You also have to account for parasitic losses with any type of S/C....
Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
True that! Basically your car will feel very stock in terms of power delivery, just with almost double the power

Can't wait to read reviews
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll take two please.
it's time for some whoop ****.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 AM
G35s-Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
I'll take two please.
it's time for some whoop ****.
Twin S/C would be sick, lulz.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:19 AM
DashKid
Banned

WOW dude I wanna see the setup in person and can't wait till I ride in your car.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Invisibra

So technically, there isn't any lag with this Super charger, but it also isn't producing full boost at first, which is really what I meant.

With the turbo on my old Eagle talon, or my Evolution 8, all you had to do is rap the gas pedal 2 times, & then drop the clutch while flooring it, & you had enormous power right off the line. With this SC, you would have stock-like power till around 3000 rpm's, & then it would ramp up strong from there, right? That would be a good thing with a RWD car, as it keeps you from just sitting there spinning tires & wasting energy, but I specifically got my AWD so that I could have tremendous 0-60 launch power. A couple small turbos 'might' actually spool faster & give boost quicker than a SC that runs up in a linear fashion, directly related to engine rpms.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

You bought the X to get AWD drive power? Not sure your transfer case could handle that. The X is only meant for those who drive in the snow, not for better "off the line" numbers.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 AM
G35s-Dude

Originally Posted by G37Sam
You bought the X to get AWD drive power? Not sure your transfer case could handle that. The X is only meant for those who drive in the snow, not for better "off the line" numbers.
It'll be a bad idea if he got the X for that, but S/C is netter than TT for auto.trans, and it's more reliable, our engine was designed as N/A, i prefer S/C for my 5AT daily driver G.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Invisibra

Many many have underestimated how nice AWD is in EVERY circumstance. With snow tires, my Eagle Talon would smoke dodge vipers in the 1/4 mile, & I've even busted up modified mustangs & camaros when I was in Colorado, WITH a snowboard on the roof, haha. (This is on dry pavement)

Put street tires on a RWD or FWD, & it just spins it's tires more & more the higher the power level goes.. WITH AWD, I'm down the road. I'm not taking the car to extreme power levels, which would shatter the x-fer case. Just using ALL the 450-500 HP by getting perfect traction.

You CAN put Drag radials on the 2 wheel drive vehicles to get a good launch, but then, let it rain.. Let it even get some moisture, & it gets all kinds of interesting driving, while the AWD just doesn't care.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Remo101

Why don't they use AWD on drag cars then?
Old 01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Because the added diff & transfer case rob lots of power, I also believe it has to do with weight reduction. The Lambo LP560 saved around 300lbs just from reverting to a RWD setup according to Top Gear
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Invisibra

Originally Posted by Remo101
Why don't they use AWD on drag cars then?
Because drag cars don't have to drive to work or in the rain, or in the snow.

Big fat slicks WILL give superior traction in 1 instance. Going straight down the track. In that use, it's true that the extra weight of AWD would not be useful. AWD becomes useful as soon as traction is suffering, like in day to day driving.

AWD will give great traction going straight, AND going around corners, AND in rain AND in snow, AND on dirt, etc...

Like I said guys, I've had both, & the AWD is better. I ran in the Buschur invitaional race weekend in Ohio, years ago. I ran a 12.1 in the 1/4 mile, getting 2n'd place in the heads up class, then raced the next day in the auto-x, placing in the top 3, then the next day in the fully open drag race event, placing 1'st in the 12 second class. I didn't change my tires in any way, or adjust the suspension, or anything, & was very good showing in all.

Under the right circumstances, 2wd is better, but in a large range of driving, you won't beat AWD. I drive my car in a large range of driving.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Invisibra

Because the added diff & transfer case rob lots of power, I also believe it has to do with weight reduction. The Lambo LP560 saved around 300lbs just from reverting to a RWD setup according to Top Gear
I TOTALLY agree, that the added diff, t-case, & weight will slow a car down some with everything being equal.. But we're not talking equal here, we're talking modified horsepower ratings. When traction becomes an issue, which is WILL if you add a supercharger to 2 wheel drive, then the AWD just keeps putting the power down, & making you go faster.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
G35s-Dude

Originally Posted by Invisibra
Because drag cars don't have to drive to work or in the rain, or in the snow.

Big fat slicks WILL give superior traction in 1 instance. Going straight down the track. In that use, it's true that the extra weight of AWD would not be useful. AWD becomes useful as soon as traction is suffering, like in day to day driving.

AWD will give great traction going straight, AND going around corners, AND in rain AND in snow, AND on dirt, etc...

Like I said guys, I've had both, & the AWD is better. I ran in the Buschur invitaional race weekend in Ohio, years ago. I ran a 12.1 in the 1/4 mile, getting 2n'd place in the heads up class, then raced the next day in the auto-x, placing in the top 3, then the next day in the fully open drag race event, placing 1'st in the 12 second class. I didn't change my tires in any way, or adjust the suspension, or anything, & was very good showing in all.

Under the right circumstances, 2wd is better, but in a large range of driving, you won't beat AWD. I drive my car in a large range of driving.

At least i won't worry about my t-case to get blown up when i go F/I .

Quick Reply: GTM G37 SC Teaser Pix !!!